It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist proposes chemships to prevent "planetary emergency"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
And here's the article - oops!

Scientists told UK MPs this week that the possibility of a major methane release triggered by melting Arctic ice constitutes a "planetary emergency".

The Arctic could be sea-ice free each September within a few years.

Wave energy pioneer Stephen Salter has shown that pumping seawater sprays into the atmosphere could cool the planet.

So while y'all are "looking up", "they" are planning to sneak in something at sea level.....
edit on 18-3-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

You don't say.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The transparency of your logic is obvious

Okay, now that there is something there,

The idea of putting dust particles into the stratosphere to reflect sunlight, mimicking the cooling effect of volcanic eruptions, would in fact be disastrous for the Arctic, said Prof Salter, with models showing it would increase temperatures at the pole by perhaps 10C.

And last year, the cloud-whitening idea was also criticised by scientists who calculated that using the wrong droplet size could lead to warming - though Prof Salter says this can be eliminated through experimentation.

Sounds like a pretty complex attempt. Better get those droplet sizes right. I imagine the amount of methane released will be enormous, granted probably most of it will be a slow release, but I wonder if there will be vast bubbles that release a cloud big enough to effect a village/community. Ice fishermen should be careful.

To the "cloud brightening" of the article, I found this the other day.

Cloud brightening is a developing type of geo-engineering that may one
day help slow climate change and tackle global warming. Scientists aim to
add salt particles to sea clouds, for example via remote-controlled boats.
The salt particles would make more droplets of water form in the clouds,
so that they appear whiter and brighter. These whiter clouds would reflect
back more light and heat from the Sun, which should help cool the Earth.

No nefarious overtones, just interesting, and a pretty good layout for the idea.

Do we only need to add salt to the clouds
once to brighten clouds?
To keep the clouds bright the salt would need to be continually added. The
effect of adding salt to brighten the clouds should be seen quickly, but it
would disappear in about ten days if we stop adding salt.

Well that is a new one(on me), but sounds like a lot of salt, but hey the sea certainly provides enough of that.

How is this different from weather modification?
Cloud brightening is not designed to make it rain, or stop it from raining, in
a specific place. Ideally there would be no change in weather patterns, just
brighter clouds that reflect more sunlight away from the Earth’s surface.
However, until there are large-scale trials it will be hard to say what changes
might happen to weather patterns.

Good food for thought, and again awaiting the large scale trials I suppose.
Question is, will they notify the public? Do they have to? Or will the experiments in take place in uninhabited areas?

"Early bird?" I will wait til a few more show up next time. ha

spec
edit on 18-3-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
yah yah yah - just goes to show the early bird gets nuthin' around here!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Wave energy pioneer Stephen Salter has shown that pumping seawater sprays into the atmosphere could cool the planet.

Odd that Salter (ironic name) would advocate the towers being located in the Arctic, unless the BBC article got it wrong. Studies seem to indicate that albedo enhancement methods would be most effective at low latitudes.

ETA: Ok, he's putting the priority on the Arctic because of the loss of sea ice.

"We'd need a bit of land, in clean air and the right distance north... where you can cool water flowing into the Arctic."

edit on 3/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Rough translation as follows : " We need to offset a natural climatic cycle as long as possible to continue to perpetuate the falsehood of purely human caused global warming. Without this falsehood we cannot continue to implement a global carbon tax which is a blueprint for reigning in global industry under a UN guided mandate. "

Our star is the biggest factor in global warming, when our planet warms enough and large scale melting throws a wrench into deep ocean currents we will have another ice age. All these technologies and strategies are only going to temporarily delay a natural cycle and at what unimaginable expense?

Instead of deception we need brilliant minds helping us find a way forward so we can adapt and thrive through this natural cycle while becoming better stewards of this earth.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LaughingatHumanity

All these technologies and strategies are only going to temporarily delay a natural cycle and at what unimaginable expense?

And perhaps gain some time to make the necessary adaptations? Humans aren't much good at doing anything in a hurry.

edit on 3/18/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Whitening up the clouds. Why not just find a way to lighten the color of ashphalt. Make light colored roofing mandatory. Surely someone can find a way to breed white grass. Heck it might even be cheaper. Personally I say just leave it alone and learn to adapt. Everytime we try to fix one mess we create another.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by halffinger4
Whitening up the clouds. Why not just find a way to lighten the color of ashphalt. Make light colored roofing mandatory. Surely someone can find a way to breed white grass. Heck it might even be cheaper. Personally I say just leave it alone and learn to adapt. Everytime we try to fix one mess we create another.

Oh I don't know, I think we did quite well with the clean air act. Good improvement in air quality.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by LaughingatHumanity

All these technologies and strategies are only going to temporarily delay a natural cycle and at what unimaginable expense?

And perhaps gain some time to make the necessary adaptations? Humans aren't much good at doing anything in a hurry.

What is your scale of measurement? simply because we haven't really evolved measurably in the 10,000 years that we've been farming??

That's obviously nothing but a plot by TPTB to keep us all as 2nd class citizens while they become post humans....www.abovetopsecret.com...

Time to connect the dots!!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Possibly they are attempting to deflect a mega flare.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by halffinger4
Whitening up the clouds. Why not just find a way to lighten the color of ashphalt. Make light colored roofing mandatory.

It takes a little more than white paint - yuo also have to deal with the resultant heat island effects - cf your last sentence below

Surely someone can find a way to breed white grass. Heck it might even be cheaper. Personally I say just leave it alone and learn to adapt. Everytime we try to fix one mess we create another.

Adaption is seen as merely camouflaged geo-engineering by some people on here:

And why pretend to ban it on one hand, change to the bland term "adaptation" (which won't show up on search engines like geoengineering will), and continue the planning????

edit on 18-3-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
Rough translation as follows : " We need to offset a natural climatic cycle as long as possible to continue to perpetuate the falsehood of purely human caused global warming.

I have never heard of a theory of" purely human caused global warming" - where is that propounded??

top topics

join