It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosive Device found in plane hold

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
An explosive device was found on a Virgin Airlines flight on Monday. A chemical used in grenades, called thermite, was found in a toilet paper tube with a firework sparkler attached. It also had a 30-second fuse. It was found in a knotted plastic bag with matches.

news.com.au
The Daily Telegraph has learned the device was discovered in a knotted plastic bag, along with matches, in the cargo hold of a Virgin Blue 737-300 jet by baggage handlers at 11.30am on Monday. But the find was kept quiet, with Australian Federal Police attempting to trace its origin.

A spokesman for Virgin last night played down the threat, declining to comment about the substance.

But he confirmed it was "a flammable substance, powder and matches" and Virgin was reviewing how staff inadvertently carried the package into the airport.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There explosives were found by baggage handlers on a Virgin Blue 737-300 jet. The report was kept quiet so that the Australian Federal Police could attempt to trace it. A spokesman for Virgin claims that someone with access to the airfield had to have left the device on the aircraft.

Thermite burns without oxygen at 3,000 degrees Celcius, and it has armor piercing capabilities. The explosive device was found in the baggage hold of the aircraft.

If the following is true, what is really happening with world wide security.
Airports, Wharfs, Rail, Road and so on.

What a joke.

Sanc'.

[edit on 22-9-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 22-9-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
High Alerts Status in any organization (even military) only truly holds for soo long before people start to get compliancent. Immediately after an event, top brass scurries about locking down security but after a while the foot soldiers start to tail off.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ptab01
High Alerts Status in any organization (even military) only truly holds for soo long before people start to get compliancent. Immediately after an event, top brass scurries about locking down security but after a while the foot soldiers start to tail off.

ptab01, I agree.
What really makes me mad is the 'hush up'. The public have a right to know.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   

explosive ingredients

Im getting the feeling it was a bag of fertalizer, and a packet of matches or something. They are jumping at shadows, or trying to get some fear into us, one of the two.

I find it amusing that most Australians just could not give a crap about a terrorist attack on our land, if it happens it happens, why go into a moronic paniced frenzy.

Howard is trying his hardest to scare us all but ends up looking like an idiot in the process.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
squid, if you scroll down to bottom of the link...

Thermite
* Thermite has been used in modern weaponry and as an incendiary device

* Is a mixture of aluminium powder and iron oxide. When the two substances ignite they burn at extremely high temperatures

* Used extensively to weld railway tracks

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by electric squid carpet

explosive ingredients

Im getting the feeling it was a bag of fertalizer, and a packet of matches or something. They are jumping at shadows, or trying to get some fear into us, one of the two.

I find it amusing that most Australians just could not give a crap about a terrorist attack on our land, if it happens it happens, why go into a moronic paniced frenzy.

Howard is trying his hardest to scare us all but ends up looking like an idiot in the process.

It's not likely Virgin is gonna make anything outta this Squid. itain'tabout politics

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
my mistake, didnt get far enough, my microwaved popcorn warned me of an impending explosion just after i read the "flammable substance, powder and matches" part. Im really supprised this wasnt on any televised news now.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm of the opinion that there are alot of security people who would take a bribe to look the other way, or maybe call in sick on a particular day. Money talks, and no amount of "homeland security" will change that. Offer a low paid security guard 1 million dollars to look the other way, and guess what will probably happen. Yep, it's a joke alright.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If it is in the Cargo hold, a terrorist will have a hard time getting hold of it I am sure, infact is it even possible to enter the cargo hold whilst in flight on a 737?

secondly, it was not used in flight and if found after the flight or before the flight, it would not make a difference, if you had a device of such, then you could probably walk into an airport with it in a bag without it being checked..

IT HAD TO BE A BAGGAGE HANDLER!!

If it was sent in by a passenger, I think you would notice toilet tissue tube with a 30sec fuse poking out.. the X-ray would look hilarious! imagine trying to explain that ..

reckon they'll take to frisking all staff who enter the airports? I don't think so...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Damned
I'm of the opinion that there are alot of security people who would take a bribe. Yep, it's a joke alright.

Damned, i watched a doco' the other night about the Mexican border.
For $10 u.s., the guards even stopped the freight train so this 'illegal' could board and hide
and he made it over into the U.S.

His Uncle paid the 'coyote' $3,000 and he now works in the U.S.
Like you said, money talks.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
how staff inadvertently

Nice choice of words to cover up a plot! The enemies of the United States come in all colors, ages, and ethnic backgrounds. The most dangerous ones speak perfect english and live in America! I was reading where one from Massachusets and another from North Carolina are planning a coup d'etat in November!
All I got to say is "BE ON THE ALERT!"

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
This sounds pretty bad when you first read it, but it's got me wondering. What is the point of a 'device' if it's

a) in the hold
b) has a 30 second fuse

Whose gonna set the damn thing off? Baggage handler having 'fun'?

top topics

join