It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a good topic to talk about with Jehova Witnesses going door to door?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nolordbutme

at some point in your life have you not ever questioned the legitimacy of the bible?

Yes I have.

I know you believe religion outside of yours has been corrupted but how is that yours could possibly have remained untouched?

I believe we have the clearest understanding of scripture.

Knowing is one thing.

Doing is another.

Our organization is not perfect, and individuals are corruptible.

We do our best.

edit on 18-3-2012 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nolordbutme

When I can, I try to be funny.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Here's an idea: what if I answer the door naked, that way they'd REALLY be witnessing something!!?

Like shrinkage?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

I believe we have the clearest understanding of scripture.

Respectfully I don't agree. Of course you think that because that is the basis of your religion. Every Christian offshoot believes they have the only insight into scripture. This is a common belief among all Christian sects.
I believe that any relationship with God is an individual choice and if God want's you to understand scripture he will fill you with the knowledge allowing you to open your eyes and understand.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

If you really do not want Jehovah's Witnesses to come to your house and try to talk to you.

Just ask to be put on the:

Do Not Call List.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

Respectfully I don't agree. Of course you think that because that is the basis of your religion. Every Christian offshoot believes they have the only insight into scripture. This is a common belief among all Christian sects. I believe that any relationship with God is an individual choice and if God want's you to understand scripture he will fill you with the knowledge allowing you to open your eyes and understand.

Ok.

I do agree that our relationship with God is personal.

I agree that God, has to want you, to understand scripture.

I also believe that you, have to want to understand scripture as well.

Some people really don't want to examine their belief.
edit on 18-3-2012 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

This is what I do. No need to be nasty remember that thwy actually do care about you just in a rather annoying way. It actually got to the point at my old house where they kept sending different kids around every week so i put up a no soliciting sign.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

i put up a no soliciting sign.

Get one that says No Jehovah's Witnesses.

No Trespassing works pretty well also.

I personally don't ask for contributions, and I am never selling literature.

I offer Bible studies or literature for free.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
ash trays, say you are a collector. Ask them if they have any they wouldbe willing to sell or give you. Just off wall subjects don't think about to hard.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

I remember the first time I experienced the unveiling. It was in 1995 and I was battling personal demons at the time.
I new I didn't want to continue living the way I was but I wasn't looking at all to be saved or find God. Then one day a work friend of mine who was a born again Christian asked me if I wanted to donate to a cause they were behind.With my donation I would receive a new bible. I up to that point had never read scripture or was even remotely interested in it.My head was wrapped completely around myself and nothing else.That night I sat in bed and flipped through various pages, scanning chapters, and trying to understand what I was reading. After a night of strange dreams I awoke the next morning to find I did not feel at all like the person I was the day before.The world seemed more transparent, I seemed to feel lighter and more confident in myself. I didn't understand it. But I new when I picked up my bible and began to read I understood every parable, every metaphor, every prophecy, every lesson and what they meant to my life. I don't know if it was power of suggestion or what. All I know is when I decided to change my life and asked some invisible intelligence to guide me , this is what happened.
I have no issue with JW's , I just believe that my path was a personal one that did not require an organized agenda to be full filled. I know scripture says we should be zealous in our bringing others to the flock, and I understand JW's fullfillment of this, but we really can't make people do things they don't feel comfortable doing or believing.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I have a neighbor who let her dog out and then took a shower. We live in the country and the neighbor next door is over half a mile away. The dog was barking and wanting in so she didn't bother with clothes. Just opened the door and there were three Jehova's. They quickly left and our neighborhood is very silent. No one around here have seen any of their kind for three years now.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by nolordbutme
reply to post by warpcrafter

wow. you sure are a respectful human being.

Life is for living, not for being afraid that you're not sufficiently respectful of every jerk you come across.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Hide.
Pretend you're not home.

Coward.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
First get a leather bound copy of the Necronomicon, while they are talking, think of your favorite steak and how it tasted.Give one word answers but don't close the door until they are off your sidewalk.Keep your eyes on only one of em that is a show stopper.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Not sure about Jehovas wittnesses but if you want ot see see Mormoms disapear downt the driveway at at a rate of knots just ask them to disscuss the white salamander.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
John Ankerberg's ministry refutes prevalent heresies from a fairly Protestant viewpoint, although I understand he is not a Young Earth Creationist.

I believe there is some degree of variation, in what they're taught.

I try to discuss these things, informally with members of their congregations, and they claim to believe the same as I do.

This is not in accordance with their own writings.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I have no issue with JW's , I just believe that my path was a personal one that did not require an organized agenda to be full filled. I know scripture says we should be zealous in our bringing others to the flock, and I understand JW's fullfillment of this, but we really can't make people do things they don't feel comfortable doing or believing.
reply to post by mark1167

You are correct, a person would have to believe in what they are doing.

As to feeling comfortable.

I never have.

Going to someones home and trying to talk to them about the biggest conspiracies ever, is not easy.

I will say in response to your personal experience, that even the Apostle Paul after seeing Christ in person spent some days with the disciples in Damascus. No doubt learning from them, before he began preaching.

I would also like to add that many have a distrust of organized religion, and rightly so.

Jesus told us to pray that God's Kingdom come to earth as it is in heaven.

Do you think God's Kingdom is organized?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
My family and I actually hid. They came to our summer lake house (which was getting the front deck remodeled) and the man was on crutches, trying to gimp up our stairs, on to our front porch, which had boards missing from it. Talk about determined.
Anyways. I hid under the bed. My mother hid in the bathroom, and our friend Nancy hid in the bedroom.
Gamgam (grandma) just sat right in front of the window, with her headphones on, watching TV. Completely oblivious as to what was going on.
It was pretty funny.

But really, no matter what you say, they'll try to convince you to join them. (sorry, stereotypical comment there)
Just throw some object at them and ask: "where is your god now?"

/kidding :p
edit on 18-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ask why they are so afraid to climb off the top of the ladder, as all religions are just that, ladders. Once at the destination in Oneness there is no religion as it is going backward on to the bridge that must be burned behind you.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
It's my understanding that they believe their god was once a person, and that we will someday be gods.

"by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: Not of works, lest any man should boast. "
-- Ephesians 2:8-9

Their conservative persona is in most respects impeccable, they are smarter than most but, I'm sorry, their worldview is not Biblical.

I've made friends with a few of you guys, met many more. Never met one I didn't like.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join