It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a good topic to talk about with Jehova Witnesses going door to door?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It's springtime and you know what that means. For the past couple weeks, on the weekend Jehova Witnesses have been going door to door doing whatever it is they do. We just haven't been answering our door. But, I'm curious about them, their psychological makeup in addition to whatever they believe. Not that I believe the same, I'm Jewish but follow my own set of beliefs. From what I've gathered from a google search, Jehova's seem like a sort of cult.

I guess what I'm asking is what I should talk about with them, and any ways to try and reason with them, to see their craziness or otherwise logically box them into a corner.

Let it be known that I'm not doing this for an ego trip or anything like that. I love debating people, and especially those who seem to be closed off and brainwashed into a corner. From my few experiences with Jehova's when I was younger, they seem like that.
edit on 18-3-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Ask them how they celebrate their birthdays.

Or you can ask them about their beliefs, but the birthday question ought to be a good icebreaker

edit on 18-3-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak

Probable response: "The only birthday we celebrate is Jesus' birthday!"
-____-

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by calnorak

Probable response: "The only birthday we celebrate is Jesus' birthday!"
-____-

The ones I spoke with don't celebrate any, including Jesus's birthday.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
years ago, i told one i was an atheist and he left. you could try discussing the similarity between mary, joseph and jesus with isis, osirus, and horus. or grab a copy of buckland's complete book of witch craft and tell them you want to show them how christianity folded various parts of the pagan faith into their religion. halloween used to be all saint's day eve. even though christ wasn't born in dec, they picked dec 25 to have it fall near winter solstice, aka yule.

if anything happens, please post back. i'd love to hear what kind of results you get.
bb
tegan

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Explain to them that you're Jewish then ask them if they know about Ron Paul. Have some RP buttons and bumper stickers handy.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ask them about their beliefs in blood transfusion. That should lead to an interesting discussion. Is it better to all ow someone to die than give them blood! Let the ethical debate begin!!

link   
I guess it really depends on if your curious, or just want to mess with them.

The interwebs have lots of nefarious ways to mess with these people, but if your curious just ask.

They go door to door, so I bet they would love to chat with someone that had actual questions about their faith.

link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
Explain to them that you're Jewish then ask them if they know about Ron Paul. Have some RP buttons and bumper stickers handy.

Funny you say this, I was actually thinking about saying/doing something like this. Though... I doubt "Jehova's for Ron Paul" would help his campaign. If the media caught wind of that, they would just be like "See!!! Ron Paul is crazy!"

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Invite them in and just chit chat.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ozmaoz47
years ago, i told one i was an atheist and he left. you could try discussing the similarity between mary, joseph and jesus with isis, osirus, and horus. or grab a copy of buckland's complete book of witch craft and tell them you want to show them how christianity folded various parts of the pagan faith into their religion. halloween used to be all saint's day eve. even though christ wasn't born in dec, they picked dec 25 to have it fall near winter solstice, aka yule.

if anything happens, please post back. i'd love to hear what kind of results you get.
bb
tegan

or that Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon after the Equinox every year.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ
Invite them in and just chit chat.

No!!!! They're like vampires, you don't invite them in. Staying on the doorstep.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

The biggest mistake you can make is to engage them. This will guarantee a return trip from them every weekend.
They are always ready for debate and they will slowly suck you in to endless discussions on biblical interpretation.
They believe that they and they alone have the insight into biblical interpretation. They also believe they are the only ones who will be saved from the wrath of God. Not the Jews Not the Christians, nobody.Only them. This as well as their belief that any family member who is not a JW , should be shunned and ignored. I don't agree with their interpretation of the bible and I don't agree with their intolerance. When they come around I always act polite and respectful but I tell them I already have a personal relationship with God. Watch the look on their faces when you say that. Good luck.

link   

It's weird because the father of my ex-partner did just that and they reacted as if no one ever had done that before. He made one rule, no religion, they agreed, came in and drank coffee and chit chatted. My ex-gf was pissed but he (her father) was quite a sociable fellow.

ETA Honesty is the best policy though, so if you don't want to let them in, just explain politely that you have no interest at all and they will (well, here at least) leave you alone. You might not even ever see them again. I had a old couple at my door once here, told them politely "No thank you" and that's the last I saw of them.

edit on 18/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

link   

Very true, if you invite them in its like saying your friends and they are always welcome. Now during your conversation if you want it to go to that level, then by all means do so, but you have been warned.

link   

they are not a cult in any way. they are christians but call themselves Jehovahs witnesses so they are not confused to be many of the other types of christians there are. the only thing they believe that no one else agrees with is not celebrating holidays. they dont celebrate them because they have pagan origins. they dont believe bad people burn an eternity in hell, they believe they will just die and that will be end of them. they believe in heaven but that only 144.000 people will go there while everyone else that lived according to the bible will live forever on earth after god has cleansed it of evil. in other words what adam and eve where doing before they got kicked out of the garden of eden. they are decent people but like many religious people they believe their religion is the only true way of following gods ways and dont really like when people try to preach to them. for instance if a morman knocked on their door they wouldnt answer it much like people do to them. if you want to debate them they will take you up on the offer but most of your opinions on religion will be the same.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well talk about God with them.

I`m a Christian and have been talking with them for a couple Months now they stop weekly and we study the Bible. Rather enjoy it.

If you like religion then enjoy their spreading of the word and if you don`t they respect that and will put you on the don`t return list.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If you intend to harrass them, there are any number of things you can do. As for myself, I smile politely, say "No, thank you." and shut the door. There's no real reason to act out for them. It's easier for everyone if you simply politely refuse.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

i suppose that it also something. they dont believe in transfusions or organ donors because basically if its time for you to go than thats gods decision in their opinion.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hide.
Pretend you're not home.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join