It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three in 10 young adults live with parents; for 18-to-20-year-olds the figure is 53%!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
This is normal in many countries, families stick together and help each other out, but in the west people act like they want to get as far away from their family as possible.....
edit on 18-3-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

Was going to say something about this. In the west, it is a major social taboo, to the point of humiliation or harassment. (Depending on where you live, and who you deal with daily of course..)

Depends on the situation really, but as it is today.. economy and everything else, if someone makes fun of a "stay at home" kid, then it's likely they're a sadist.

I've lived at home past 23, and I'll tell you, it gets a little sketchy when one of your parents gets laid off, with no job in sight, and you yourself are scratching by on unemployment. Needed to pool all our money just to pay the bills and have an ounce of spending money for luxuries. If I was trying to live by myself at that time, then I would have been screwed, and my parents would have been in a bad way....
edit on 19-3-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

I can empathise with you I'm in the exact same position right now.
I haven't bought new clothes in forever, I even have a hole in my shoes lol, I do admit thou I need to learn to save better.

Wish me luck on getting a job soon.

edit on 19-3-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

I see that your back, You know I was and still am a fan of you and
the way you go about always making very controversial, yet interesting and informative threads Partygirl.

On to the topic of your thread.

I am of two minds about this, and seeing since up to the age of 10 I grew up in a country were this subject is nowhere near taboo as it is here, in fact it's normal for whole families to live in a single place or extended families in extended places. I myself, have been living at home with my parents for pretty much all this life, and being the oldest even if I don't have to follow the tradition I think I in all probability will of taking care of my parents when they get old and such things.

I don't really know what it is but I never cared all that much, I mean right now as I have a job I can move out and do whatever, and support myself. But really I would be scraping by somewhat, and worse I would not have the time to do all the other stuff and hobbies I have a habit of doing, plus in this living arrangement I have more money to buy all those new cool and nifty gadgets that come around every once in a while And I so do like nifty gadgets. But as you know there is a down side to this arrangement as well as a up side.

I don't know what it is I must of been born without some of the functions or drives you people have because I could care less, nor really wanted or was all that driven for you know family and kids and all that stuff, but that's another side of my mind, one which I wont go into because quite frankly I would not be believed nor would anybody be able to understand. But ya Partygirl the stigma and peoples opinions mean zilch to me in fact they might as well just be puppets on strings making strange noises.

This has been coming down for a while Partygirl, as you know before this whole rat hutches city landscapes daily grind our ancestors us humans that is, were pretty much clan based or lived in village based paradigms. Of which the family was the smallest denomination of that paradigm, and individual by himself or herself was unheard of or it was only told in children's stories to scare them. And as such it was not that long ago that it took a village to raise a child. Which basically in a lot of ways that we go about things now a days, is in complete opposites of how we used to live and do things. We are just seeing the reverberation and ripples of that come down the pool now, but it has been a long time coming.

Even the ones you all call the elites do not live as they want others to think they do, or advertise that they do. In fact there very much communion types and stay in there own circles and families. In fact the bigger mystery about there success is that they have kept to some of the old paradigms of clan and family were as the workers or populous have not, they have been divided.
In that they have an advantage that there a unit over those who are not united, just look at the royals of any nation, or the rich of any nation and you will see that obvious fact.
In fact they have never left there extended nests or there areas of influence, and as such they never learned to truly fly, dependents they are on there own systems destined to fall when things of a different order finally comes calling.

But anyways, I forgot what I was going to say or why the past paradigms had to be broken up Partygirl, or if I do tell you, well then you wont like me all that much anymore, but suffice to say it ain't all that nice or human in origin, but don't worry as its unimportant. And things have decided to take a turn for the truncated and be more efficient and effective, because sooner or latter they will feel it when the ripple turns into a wave.

Some things just do not work as they think it should or want them to. Even the most hard of head will understand this concept given time, but hey such is life...So Partygirl, how was your vacation from the nut house and the oh so creepy things and people on ATS?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
With the dim/lib BHO economy there just aren't any jobs for them...I don't agree with the principal but I wouldn't want my kids crashing at some dump or sleeping under a bridge either..I'll take care of my kids...but they won't lay around on their butts either

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Among many cultures it's quite normal for adult kids to stay in the family home, in other cultures the eldest son is depended upon to never leave the nest. I don't see a problem with adult kids staying for as long as they needed to.

The only culture that expects their kids to move on as adults are the Anglo-Saxons and they're the first to kick their parents out in to public nursing homes!
edit on 20-3-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join