It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US murderer of Afghan civilians was unhappy about another tour of duty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What happened is a tragedy that no words can describe
most people are even afraid to speak about what really happened and why
it has become very controversial and sensitive subject

The US soldier accused of shooting dead 16 Afghans had been injured twice while serving in Iraq and was unhappy about going for another tour of duty, a lawyer has said.
John Henry Browne said the soldier - who has not been named - had already completed three tours in Iraq.
He also said the accused had witnessed his friend's leg blown off the day before the killings. Sunday's shootings have placed new strains on the US in Afghanistan, says BBC News.

Link

Is it the soldier fault ?

That question must be analysed very carefully
and being angry for serving another tour can explain a lot on the soldier mental level

The military know how to train their dogs into killing machines
but a soldier is a human being first ..
if you mess with his emotions and soul with deceptions games
his mind will start disconnecting from reality..
not knowing the difference anymore from good to bad

The reality for the soldier is that he have no choice to deploy if ordered
to pay the bills for his familly at home
At one point like a normal job you throw your keyboard at the wall
because you have enought of working all the time not having enough off days
soldier is not a normal job .. you can treat a soldier like a normal employee

How many soldiers overeacts because they are angry of babysitting the "enemy" day and nights
always scared of roadside bombs and suicide attacks ..
not knowing who is a rebel that going to kill you .. after a while .. everyone is a potential enemy
finally you receive your off days and you learn you have to deploy again .. must be painfull
not knowing if you will return home this time after barely escaping the first 4 tours ..
every machines needs a cleanup top to the bottom and a profound analysis
to see if everything is in order before being redeploy on the battle ground ..

You cant risk anyone to go berserk

This is the military commanders fault at 100% .. not the soldier
bad orders , bad training.. no professionalism will give you PTSD quick
a soldier must have honnor first because going in the military
if you dont have any HONNOR .. then you cannot be a soldier

If you lose honnor then you lose the war

These military commander should be all replaced
to have failed at every level since the start

This soldier will never be punished or executed
it would send a very bad message to the rest of the soldier
who one time killed somebody after they overreacted ..
its only the enemies who cares has long no US soldier is harmed

a logic like that in the military will change any soldier to a monster
thats why never lose honnor

I never was a soldier myself .. at one time i wanted to be
but receiving bad orders from a hard head ..
i prefer to be the commander of myself in my own army
i have a few friend who have became soldiers .. its scary .. because it can break any soul
to never be the same again

This soldier was probably a good guy like the people who knew him
was really badly trained and the ones who ordered him to go on another tour
are the responsables..

Its like an inspector of a plane .. if he forget to check the engine parts
and the plane then crash with 300 people inside
who had the responsability to inspect it and decide if its ready to go or not ?

So this is my opinion of this soldier case
yes he should make prison .. in a mental institute being surrounded by competant people
some can be reabilitated and others will never be able to escape
the images with the faces of the people they had to slaughter
and realising how naive their were to listen in the first place to the orders
edit on 3/18/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It's the soldier's fault.

What's wrong with you people making justifications? Are Afghani people not as valuable as Americans?

He killed 16 innocent people in cold blood. He knew what he was doing. He was a little boy that grew up playing Halo and wanted to go do the real thing but couldn't handle it.

He should get life in prison, no possibility of parole.

This doesn't excuse the chain of command for their responsibility, but no willing participant can be considered innocent.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
It's the soldier's fault.

What's wrong with you people making justifications? Are Afghani people not as valuable as Americans?

He killed 16 innocent people in cold blood. He knew what he was doing. He was a little boy that grew up playing Halo and wanted to go do the real thing but couldn't handle it.

He should get life in prison, no possibility of parole.

This doesn't excuse the chain of command for their responsibility, but no willing participant can be considered innocent.

Its the soldiers fault for sure .. if he was responsible he would had tell his commander
that he his a threat to everyone surrounding him
and if he go to another tours he might do something very bad

He didnt do that .. probably knowing his commander would have denied is off days

So yes it is the soldier fault but in second place
His commander with yrs or experiences the military have of training honorable soldiers ..
The high ranked officer with the big pay day SHOULD KNOW BETTER
they should be able to spot the defectives machines .. its their responsability first
edit on 3/18/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hmm.. I agree with some of what you say there, once I got past the headline. That threw me a little as it's nowhere near that simple, of course. This part though...

This soldier will never be punished or executed it would send a very bad message to the rest of the soldier who one time killed somebody after they overreacted .. its only the enemies who cares has long no US soldier is harmed

I keep seeing people say this, but I suppose it'll just take time to show how misplaced that thinking is. Of course, the Military tends to circle the wagons and defend outward when something is still at the level where such methods may serve damage control. The riots over there would be why...not always a whitewash of the truth. Although.. Yeah..that happens often enough too I suppose.

This man, at THIS point though.....He will not get off and he CANNOT get away with anything here. The message to fellow soldiers is precisely why, if doing what's right holds no sway anymore. Soldiers are trained to solve problems by killing them. The bigger the problem, the more guns..and really big ones just explode with solutions.

If this man got away with murder 16 times, then other soldiers might start getting some really scary thinking they shouldn't be getting...like if 16 Afghan's are free...what does 1 American Lieutenant cost a guy to erase? How about a Captain? What's the price for the Base Commander while we're at it? Vietnam saw some breakdown of order and basic discipline to that extreme......Let's pray we END this before we really do see guys getting away with enough to encourage a repeat of 'fragging' as a solution to what pisses a guy off.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The thing that up get's me upset is the U.S government's hypocrisy on the whole matter. When the president stands up and condemns the killing of innocent women and children, all the while personally ordering drone strikes inside Pakistan that have killed dozens of women and children. What's the difference ? How is the blood on this soldiers hands any different than the blood on Obama's hands?
This war has been one big snafu since the day it started. American foreign policy is a disgrace to humanity as a whole and this tragedy further proves that.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167
reply to post by Ben81

The thing that up get's me upset is the U.S government's hypocrisy on the whole matter. When the president stands up and condemns the killing of innocent women and children, all the while personally ordering drone strikes inside Pakistan that have killed dozens of women and children. What's the difference ? How is the blood on this soldiers hands any different than the blood on Obama's hands?
This war has been one big snafu since the day it started. American foreign policy is a disgrace to humanity as a whole and this tragedy further proves that.

The Pakistan drones attack ordered by Obama
the number are higher under Obama then Bush

and guess what .. the big numbers Obama have are a central point in his elections
the higher the numbers gets .. the higher the chances of him be reelected
we live in a crazy world .. were you got honor for the most body count

Call of duty .. literaly

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Uh.. if he grew up playing video games... chances are it was DOOM. Not everyone "grew up" in the 2000's.

Seems to be a cop-out that overlooks his previous 10 years of war and 2 injuries. Not saying that justifies it, but it complicates the issue more than just some video game punk who wants to end some lives.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB

Uh.. if he grew up playing video games... chances are it was DOOM. Not everyone "grew up" in the 2000's.

Seems to be a cop-out that overlooks his previous 10 years of war and 2 injuries. Not saying that justifies it, but it complicates the issue more than just some video game punk who wants to end some lives.

I'm sorry if my statement wasn't completely accurate. It wasn't meant to be an accurate statement, but rather an illustration of what is happening to the people who sign up thinking it's all guns and glory and then get there and find it's not the boy's camp they expected.

I'm not blaming video games, I'm blaming this entire country for it's lack of values, glamorization of war, and wars for corporate profit. Hope this clarifies.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This was a senseless tragedy for all involved. My heart goes out to the victims and their family.

Having said that, my heart also goes out to this soldier. From the few things I've read, it seems like his unit was rife with problems, including higher than average suicide rates and possibly ignoring signs of mental stress.

I am not a doctor. I do read extensively in the psychology of the brain becomes I'm a teacher, and understanding how the brain works is kinda important in my job. Just this week I read a treatise concerning the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Basically, repeated stress, especially prolonged and potentially deadly stress, actually changes the chemistry of the brain. These people become sensitized to what's happening, exist in a state of perpetual alarm arousal, and live with the strain constantly.

I do not know if this such has PTSD, but based on his multiple tours I think the possibilities are high. This does not condone what he did, which is rehensible. But it may explain the why of the situation.

We need to provide more help to our soldiers in the form of closer psychological monitoring to make sure they stay healthy mentality. We need to make sure our service men and women receive ongoing therapy to help them transition back into the civilian world as easily and painlessly as possible.

Personally, I believe the soldier should receive life with no parole. Even with PTSD, you must take responsibility for your actions.

I just hope he isn't summarily executed to please certain people if he does suffer from PTSD. However, I have a feeling the gov may hang him out to dry, so to speak.

edit on 18-3-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mark1167

Funny thing aint it ?

He can take honor for killing someone he didnt personally kill(bin laden), yet when its innocents, its not his fault.

Im a firm believer in people taking the consequences that come with their actions, afghans or americans, this dude Killed a lot of innocent people. He should pay the price, end of story.

Everyone else has to.

new topics

top topics

join