It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Christians get angry.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

You have a direct line to him where you can ask him, and then you receive a clear and concise answer from him? If so, please let me know.

This varies from person to person, but it is clearly written that false prophecy cannot be given on behalf of an Omniscient God. Someone who misspeaks in this role has lost moral authority and is lucky to be born in an age of grace. To be honest, it used to be a capital offense -- not a claim to be made lightly.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeaTurtle
This varies from person to person, but it is clearly written that false prophecy cannot be given on behalf of an Omniscient God. Someone who misspeaks in this role has lost moral authority and is lucky to be born in an age of grace. To be honest, it used to be a capital offense -- not a claim to be made lightly.
Well sure, someone makes a prophecy, it's wrong, he's a false prophet, oh my. Someone else makes a prophecy, it comes to pass, omg, he's a prophet! But, what if a person makes a false prophecy and a correct prophecy later? Did they just get lucky? Maybe everyone who makes a correct "prophecy" is just lucky....

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

What's the point?

Rather than robotic praise, as from a tape recorder, the subject is meant to be conscious of his place in the universe.

The stated goal is to glorify God, which is exactly why the line of discussion is considered insulting those of independent spirit.

Life's harder lessons are specifically meant to teach us that it's not fair - that there is an arbitrary element to the universe.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Rather than robotic praise, as from a tape recorder, the subject is meant to be conscious of his place in the universe.

The stated goal is to glorify God, which is exactly why the line of discussion is considered insulting those of independent spirit.

Life's harder lessons are specifically meant to teach us that it's not fair - that there is an arbitrary element to the universe.
Can you give an example of two people agreeing on something that is already theirs, as you put it? ...and how do they know it is already theirs?
edit on 19-3-2012 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

But, what if a person makes a false prophecy and a correct prophecy later? Did they just get lucky?

In the words of the Bible, you are not to fear a false prophet, regardless of his hit rate.

Maybe everyone who makes a correct "prophecy" is just lucky....

There is also a stipulation that an otherwise accurate prophecy can be used to promote non Biblical worldviews.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Can you give an example of two people agreeing on something that is already theirs, as you put it? ...and how do they know it is already theirs?

I don't claim to have any examples prepared, but Christians perceive many synchronicities in their day-to-day lives, some mundane, some comparable to the miracles witnessed by the original Apostles.

It is not ground, which I would tread upon lightly.

I admit that there is room for healthy skepticism and, if you you know the difference, this might qualify you for positions of authority, rather than enmity for it's own sake.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Well, I'm glad you know exactly what I was saying. I never have a clue obviously. Heck, I even clarified to you a few times that I wasn't insulting you, but I was complimenting you for being strong.

Forget it, my life doesn't lose it's meaning and purpose if you piss on my compliments or not. I STILL think you're a strong woman. Now whatcha gonna do? Despite your insults, I'll still praise your strength! How's them apples?

You have made me consider that I should pause and reflect before trying to offer anyone else compliments here again. Good job.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

There is also a stipulation that an otherwise accurate prophecy can be used to promote non Biblical worldviews.
When I was a christian, many times I saw people give prophecies, and I mean people who loved god, worshiped him, praised him, lived for him, spoke to others about him, etc. and they gave incorrect prophecies. Apparently they still couldn't discern their god's voice from their own thoughts. Why is that? Are they false prophets, though they love the lord?

I know a man who gave up everything he had, a nice job, nice house, etc. and moved to another country as a missionary. He gave an incorrect prophecy that a couple's son would be healed, and he was wrong. Is he now a false prophet, though he gave up everything for god, to live for him?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
Forget it, my life doesn't lose it's meaning and purpose if you piss on my compliments or not. I STILL think you're a strong woman. Now whatcha gonna do? Despite your insults, I'll still praise your strength! How's them apples?

Have you ever seen women body builders? They are strong women and are disgusting. Is that what you're saying, she's disgusting looking? ;p

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I don't claim to have any examples prepared, but Christians perceive many synchronicities in their day-to-day lives, some mundane, some comparable to the miracles witnessed by the original Apostles.
I would like to hear of these miracles comparable to the original apostles' that occur today.

I admit that there is room for healthy skepticism and, if you you know the difference, this might qualify you for positions of authority, rather than enmity for it's own sake.
What?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Apparently they still couldn't discern their god's voice from their own thoughts. Why is that? Are they false prophets, though they love the lord?

It's possible that they sought their own glory through the old martyr complex. If you've been Christian for long, then you already knew it's not a system of salvation by works (lest any man should boast.)

Have you ever seen women body builders? They are strong women and are disgusting. Is that what you're saying, she's disgusting looking?

This is one of those absolutes, which makes Christians seem bigoted to the amoral.

But, yes, where is her sense of duty / purpose.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It's possible that they sought their own glory through the old martyr complex. If you've been Christian for long, then you already knew it's not a system of salvation by works (lest any man should boast.)
I'm not a christian, but I was one for around 20 years. It is possible that christians seek their own glory at times, if not most of the time, but the man I knew who said that god told him that a certain child would be healed, and was not healed, did not do this for his own glory. He did it because he thought his god told him that, and relayed the info to the parents. He was wrong.

BTW, just realized you registered today. Nice to have you here.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
I would like to hear of these miracles comparable to the original apostles' that occur today.

Not all charismatics are about about plastic hula hoops and glitter...

What?

You saw a moral wrong, when they guy sitting next to you didn't. You might have led by example, rather than denouncing your faith.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I agree. Just wanted an example of a miracle that occured today which is comparable to miracles performed by the apostles.

You saw a moral wrong, when they guy sitting next to you didn't. You might have led by example, rather than denouncing your faith.
I didn't denounce my faith at that time, just caused me to begin asking questions, which many years later led me to denounce my faith.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

I'm not a christian, but I was one for around 20 years. It is possible that christians seek their own glory at times, if not most of the time, but the man I knew who said that god told him that a certain child would be healed, and was not healed, did not do this for his own glory. He did it because he thought his god told him that, and relayed the info to the parents. He was wrong.

If you have faith in God, the only options are to believe He is delaying, or the self-styled "prophet" was not ordained by unconditional authority.

I would like to say that his misdeeds, no matter how well intentioned, destroy the faith of the innocent, but this would be impossible under the doctrine of predestination. Regardless, it does give us a bad name.

BTW, just realized you registered today. Nice to have you here.

It was some time, during the weekend, but thanks for the compliment. In spite of the thread's title line, I don't believe it necessary to be uncivil -- not that this makes the Bible literalism popular.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

If you have faith in God, the only options are to believe He is delaying, or the self-styled "prophet" was not ordained by unconditional authority.
In this case, the kid died...so there was no delay. He was just wrong. Secondly, how does one KNOW they are ordained by unconditional authority?

I would like to say that his misdeeds, no matter how well intentioned, destroy the faith of the innocent, but this would be impossible under the doctrine of predestination. Regardless, it does give us a bad name.
It's interesting you brought up predestination. Do you follow that line of thinking? If not, why bring it up?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I agree. Just wanted an example of a miracle that occured today which is comparable to miracles performed by the apostles.

Tongues. I believe this is more an issue of straightforward comprehension than gibberish.
Multiplication. Visions. I have experienced these things. I don't claim to be any more believable than the family, who I caught using oyster crackers as "manna," allegedly materialized from the pages of their Bible. I don't have any system, and I don't believe that mystical experiences are necessary to salvation.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It's interesting you brought up predestination. Do you follow that line of thinking? If not, why bring it up?

I do believe in predestination, and I intended it bring it up as an example that life is not a meritocracy. You can't earn your way to the top.

I believe that many people find this insulting, because it's disempowering. I think they can recognize it as truth, and refuse grace anyway, just because they don't like the idea of begging for mercy.

I apologize. I have a prior appointment to meet, shortly, but can retrieve the thread, under myATS.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Tongues. I believe this is more an issue of straightforward comprehension than gibberish.
Multiplication. Visions. I have experienced these things. I don't claim to be any more believable than the family, who I caught using oyster crackers as "manna," allegedly materialized from the pages of their Bible. I don't have any system, and I don't believe that mystical experiences are necessary to salvation.
I know what tongues is, as I used to claim to do it, and can still make the same sounds today if I wanted. I know what visions are, but I don't know what you mean by multiplication.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I do believe in predestination, and I intended it bring it up as an example that life is not a meritocracy. You can't earn your way to the top.
This is very interesting. Now, you will have disagreements with the other christians within this thread. Why aren't you all on the same page, as you all have a relationship with the same god? This is only one example in which christians disagree in their doctrine. There are many things in which they disagree on, such as once saved always saved, baptism being necessary for salvation, the trinity, whether or not a fiery hell exists, the gifts of the spirit, and many more. A house divided against itself can not stand, but it is clearly divided.

Secondly, predestination? That really sucks for all those not predestined. I suppose YOU were predestined then? Lucky for you, I guess.

new topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join