It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

~ Tips on Your First Thread ~

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Newbie or long time lurker,

Welcome to Participating!!!

So you finally joined, or perhaps been here a while but now you’ve made yourself somewhat familiar with the different boards, have made yourself familiar with the T&C and the Moderator’s links supplied in your intro or various intros, gathered your 20 posts and now decided to take the plunge!

GREAT ! Many are looking forward to it !

This is simply to give you tips on your “first time”...a little help and a little advice...

[color=gold]
Choosing a Title

Content

- Using the Search Function
- My eyes my eyes!
- Sharing a Youtube Video
- Sharing research - with links
- Sharing an experience

Reactions to your O.P. (Opening Post)

- Debating different opinions
- Remember that it’s a Huge Forum
- Noob Bashing
- Encountering a Troll

[color=gold]Choosing a Title

Depending on the subject you want your first thread to talk about, it is important to keep in mind that your title will represent your subject and sometimes, represent you.

Good Ideas

The Question Mark ( ? )

Finishing your title with a question mark turns your title into an inquiry and not a fact. It means that it is up for debate. You are looking for more opinions...

An Article Title

Submitting the title as it was mentioned in the article you refer to is also a good idea as it simply replicates an idea you find interesting without making it your propriety.

An Honest Title

An honest title represents your opinion on the subject you wish to propose. It represents you as the story teller if your opening post is about a personal experience.

Bad Ideas

The Multiple Exclamation Marks ( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

Putting multiple exclamation marks almost claims your title as fact. Which, after debate, might not necessarily be the case.

PROOF

Proof in your title makes your title claim something as undeniable. Which, after debate, has been shown over and over again that it is not necessarily the case. Think twice about using this word in your title.

CONFIRMED

Same as proof. Be sure you have solid links or you will get a heated debate. Rightfully so. As for PROOF, think twice about using this word.

A Misleading Title

The opposite of an honest title. Putting a “National Inquirer type” title will most certainly gather attention but you will be called on it. It also shows the membership that you might be a Flag hunter. Which is also fine if your credibility isn’t that important for you on the long run.

A Troll Title

Feel like baiting? Attacking a certain group? Sharing made up deep national secrets stories? Not only will you be called on it but the membership doesn’t take any of those types of threads lightly. Neither do the Moderators and Admins. If such is the case, ATS might not be the right forum for you.

[color=gold]Content

[color=gold]Using the Search Function

Searching before spending time putting up a thread is a must !

Located on the top header, the search function will be useful to find out if what you are about to spend time on has already been authored.

Inserting different key words will bring out threads on the subject. Unless you wish to bring new light to a subject already discussed, it can be very disappointing to have your thread closed because it already exists.

Let the search function be your friend!

[color=gold]My eyes My eyes!

Walls of text should be avoided. It will be easier for everyone to read if your opening post is divided into paragraphs. Also makes it more interesting to read to the end.

[color=gold]Sharing a YouTube Video

So you found an interesting video that you wish to share and discuss. It’s perfectly fine !

For your embed to work, simply add what follows the v= in this popped up window.

In the case here, the full link being

watch?v=VBXR06S5FVA

Simply insert ( VBXR06S5FVA )

In some cases, the embed, for different reasons will not work. Using the “Preview” button on the bottom of your OP will show as such.

If it happens to you then simply add the full link instead.

www.youtube.com...

Remember the T&C regarding videos.

IMPORTANT. You MUST add a description and an opinion on it. Many members do not have viewing capabilities at the moment of your post and will ask for info.

[color=gold]Sharing Research

You have summed up info that leads to important news that you wish to share? Awesome !

Supplying links to your claims only supports your research and makes your data sharing serious. No links supplied will lead to the fact that you are only sharing tour opinion – which is also fine – but should be mentioned as such.

[color=gold]Sharing an Experience

A personal experience is always welcomed. You have probably read that sharing a personal experience needs courage. I would agree to a certain point. If you share a true story, some members will relate and participate. If you share a made up story, chances are that you will be caught at one point or another. Boards that encourage personal stories are highly monitored by Moderators. Personal attacks and name calling will not be tolerated. From both sides.

So be confident...and share !

[color=gold]Reactions to Your O.P. ( Opening Post )

[color=gold]Debating Different Opinions

No matter the Board, no matter the subject, there will always be debates. It is the very foundation of this Forum and where the motto “Deny Ignorance” takes its full meaning.

Would you agree that it would be boring if everyone shared the same opinion?

Just remember that all debates must be done with Civility and Decorum. Be the example to follow. Be the change you wish to see. Lead with Respect and Politeness. Your threads, with time, will flourish!

[color=gold]Remember that it’s a Huge Forum

There are 256,000+ members here and there are always hundreds and hundreds of active members present – at ALL times !

The Moderating Staff represents about 10% of those active numbers and about 1 to 3% present – at ALL times!

Feel the heat? Feel aggressed? Feel like your thread is being led off topic?

Use the ALERT Function! Located under the Member’s Avatar.

Alerting about a member on your thread sends a message to the Staff. Depending on the volume of activity at the time of your Alert, Moderators will take action as soon as they can – AND if it warrants an action.

Remember that debating your opinion is not an act of aggressiveness. Debating IS recommended as long as it follows the T&C. Alerting is for that moment where you feel it transgresses the T&C.

[color=gold]Noob Bashing

Bashing a Newbie is NEVER tolerated. Moderators do not tolerate it. Many members will Alert when seeing this occurrence happen.

So again, feel confident...and share!

[color=gold]Encountering a Troll

Trolls are a dime a dozen. Do not feed them. Don`t waste your time responding. Trying to make your point against a troll will only lead to more trolling. Let it be...

Just ALERT.

Hope this helps you making your ATS experience a pleasurable adventure!

ATS can be whatever you wish it to be. It`s all up to you!

HAVE FUN & ENJOY !!!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
thanks for this info. I've been very intimidated by the computer skills needed to post a first thread on ATS. Those of us over a certain age who did not grow up with computers (we actually used slide rules in high school!) don't find computer technology as effortless as the younger people do. I've tried to post a pic with my ATS name and still can't even figure that one out. Videos and links to sources in a thread seem beyond my capabilities - hopefully this thread will help! Many, many thanks!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I am glad this was posted as I'm having hesitations in creating threads. This is mostly due to the fact that anytime I think I have a great topic, it's been covered before. I wasn't around for a discussion that was held in 2008 and didn't benefit from any of the fun that came about participating in it! So I guess my question is, how much time is a reasonable amount of time, before a topic is considered dead and it justifies a new one so that current members can create an account of their discourse?

I enjoy creating threads and then keeping track of my ideas and how they grow and change with other peoples opinions. I enjoy debate. The dialogue. However, I've noticed a penchant for some people to complain that a similar thread was created recently.

Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

I've written about topics that were already discussed. But with a different point of view, a different twist.

And there will always be some people that complain no matter what. So give it a shot !!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

Hope it helps you !

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

A dreaded double post.

edit on 20-3-2012 by SonoftheSun because: gee

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Good advice and a great thread for those starting out.

My biggest concern with starting new threads is the fact that usually within one or two lines someone will post that it has been done before, and lead a great line of thread links that say so. I must say I was passionately opposed to "rules lawyers" back in the ol' D&D days (Flame away, yes I'm a nerd), but the fact is things move so fast on this site, and new members are always popping up, that each thread should be given it's chance to grow, not be cut down the second it pops it's head out of the ground. I have found threads done even a month ago that have flatlined, yet the second it's bought up again, the rules lawyers pounce, and bury it, instead of giving it a chance and for new people to give fresh insights.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Nice thread!

One thing to clarify for the youtube link is that sometimes the yuotube URL will have an & after the youtube number, like this:

watch?v=oM2UW7ofGLM&feature=g

So for those keeping score the youtube number needed to embed on ATS comes after the v= and before the &.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Great thread SonoftheSun. Made great by the fact that you didn't just tell people, particularly newer members, how to create a thread, you gave a helpful, and often overlooked, insight into how the thread is likely to develop - Dealing with trolls for example, alerting them, expecting people to debate with you and so on.

Cool thread that I imagine will be very helpful to a lot of people here.

Edit to add: If I was to give my own tip I would say this - Be patient. When posting a thread remember it's not a competition, that's not what ATS should be about. It should be about good content. So, for that reason, when writing a thread just take a step back, re-read a few times, make sure it's making sense, make sure it's as well wrote as it could be and make sure you have all your information for people to digest.
edit on 20-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

My biggest concern with starting new threads is the fact that usually within one or two lines someone will post that it has been done before, and lead a great line of thread links that say so.

Very true. I would think that making a thread with a different approach, a different twist is a way to loop that problem. The Search function is also there to help in making a thread's feel "different".

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks for the tip Chad !

I didn't know about that one !!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Sweet answer RA !

Patience, oh yes. I always find that the most interesting threads are threads that have been put up carefully and diligently. With well researched info and links. You Sir, are a good example to follow for insight on well constructed threads !!!

top topics

join