It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Gas prices? - Slug your way to work, Awesome concept

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
money.cnn.com...

People are getting free rides so that they can use the HOV lane
People line up by the dozens to wait to get picked up like at a bus station and just hop into random cars and then drive too work. Really amazing of what teamwork can do when we are being ripped off by the oil companies. I say ripped off because gas prices are 6.7% below the 2008 high, while oil is still 20% below the highest peak. Meaning we are being gouged bigtime.
edit on 093131p://3America/ChicagoSun, 18 Mar 2012 09:41:06 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
CNN trying to spin negative news for Democrats and Obama as positive again? Funny, considering this was the Democrats and their media only a few years ago:

Can you explain the blatant inconsistency here?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Back in the stone age we called it car pooling

Nice to see it's making a comeback.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Gas has gone up more in the past three years [since the man took office] than in the previous 100 years combined. It was $1.84 in Jan 2009 where I live on his inauguration day...so from the first gas station in 1907 to 2009 it increased to todays Highs. Not really too bad for over 100 years...but with Obama it jumped double the hundred year mark in short 3 years. Not a coincidence. We are now over the 4 dollar mark in central Illinois. Ranging from $3.99 to $4.09 with variations here and there. Point made. There should be huge alarm signs going up with the cost of a can of creamed corn doubled in price in just a short 14 month period. Fuel costs alone will drive inflation, increase costs and create homelessness the likes of which mankind has never seen.
I for one do not believe in coincidence or accidents in these types of things
edit on 18-3-2012 by DavidsHope because: typo error corrected

first gas station
www.historylink.org...

prices in 2009

news.consumerreports.org...
edit on 18-3-2012 by DavidsHope because: added links for verification

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Gas has gone up more in the past three years [since the man took office] than in the previous 100 years combined. It was $1.68 in Jan 2009 where I live on his inauguration day...

I for one do not believe in coincidence or accidents in these types of things

online.wsj.com...

"Somehow we have to figure out how to boost the price of gasoline to the levels in Europe," Mr. Chu, who directs the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in California, said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in September.

Imagine Bush's administration had said this...
edit on 18-3-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

If Bush had said it he would have been impeached by the press alone. People are very upset and concerned. I hear them talk about it. But nearly all of them believe there is nothing they can do.
Perhaps not, but complacency will never win. O yea gas wasn't 1.64 in 2009 it was 1.84 sorry for the typo but it still doubled

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I sometimes work in downtown Houston. I've seen the people at the bus stops holding the signs for the park and ride number.

I don't understand why someone would jump in a car with a stranger or why a driver would allow a stranger in the car. I understand using the HOV lane but is that worth risking your life.

What an opening for a serial killer

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

If Bush had said it he would have been impeached by the press alone. People are very upset and concerned. I hear them talk about it. But nearly all of them believe there is nothing they can do.
Perhaps not, but complacency will never win. O yea gas wasn't 1.64 in 2009 it was 1.84 sorry for the typo but it still doubled

Oh there is things we can do, but the general public is to lazy to put forth the effort. Before we pick up the torches and pichforks and nooses, lets try either boycotting or a general work strike until they bow to our commands. The control is in the consumers hands it's up to them to make the effort.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Love to see this. People actually being proactive, taking charge. I hope the oil companies are paying attention to this. I hope all commuters are paying attention. I hope it catches on in EVERY city and town across the land.
Way to go people. I salute the "slugs"!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXTriker
I sometimes work in downtown Houston. I've seen the people at the bus stops holding the signs for the park and ride number.

I don't understand why someone would jump in a car with a stranger or why a driver would allow a stranger in the car. I understand using the HOV lane but is that worth risking your life.

What an opening for a serial killer

Oh, no, no, no.
Don't let fear rule your life. This is what tptb are banking on. Literally.

Where I live its 20 miles down a canyon to the "big" town. People hitch hike here all the time and the people are what most would consider to be "shady" looking. They get picked up almost immediately because we all understand its a smart way to get up and down the canyon. I wouldn't be worried one bit about picking up a professional on his/her way to work. As humans we need to put our fears aside to do what will benefit us all. Its the right thing to do.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm sure they are already passing legislation to control the carpooling situation. I would hazard a guess that soon we will see mandatory fees or taxes that have to be paid along with registering personal info to be able to continue that. Another way for them to make $$ and give kickbacks to the petro companies. You know all in the best interest of the safety of the public.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Well at least that clip explains the wars in the middle east, tryijng to rob the arabs of as much oil as possible to get the gas prices down ever since. With the recent increases in gas prices though, i doubt those wars was going as planned.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PosterNutbag

Its 40 miles for me to downtown. I don't live in fear but I also handle my own situations. Even taking out the serial killer, I've seen these drivers and I certainly wouldn't put my life in their car!

I carried a passenger I knew and used the HOV lane. Now I'm working another job with no option to do that.

I think carpooling is great. I just don't think its a good idea to jump in a vehicle with a stranger.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

Fair enough. It just seems to me we are in dire need of action and answers to pressing problems that are dismantling our very core as a society. I'm glad we all don't worry over a solution like riding in a car with a stranger to the point of feeling life threatened. Oh well, one persons big risk is another ones non worry I guess.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Some may call gas pricing the 'free market' LOL They are free to set any price the market can (must) bear.

My take is that the mild winter cost them big money due to lower fuel oil and natural gas sales so they have to make that up on gasoline. Gasoline consumption is down 15% from it's high in 2007 or 2008.
edit on 18-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by PosterNutbag

Fair enough to you too. I guess every city would be different in that respect. The crime rate in Houston is kinda bad with a large focus on car jackings. I guess that sways my opinion some. The car jackings have reached a point here that they don't even ask for the car, they just kill you and take it.

To each his own, so if you are happy to jump in the car with or let a stranger in your car go for it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It would be cool to also put in a tip jar you know if some people wanted you know

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Gas has gone up more in the past three years [since the man took office] than in the previous 100 years combined. It was $1.84 in Jan 2009 where I live (snip) Ranging from $3.99 to $4.09 with variations here and there.

I don't know the details of the American gas price history, as I'm Canadian, but we've been paying over a dollar a liter for the last several years for gas. (roughly $4/gallon) I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where we have probably the cheapest gas in the country, -and- our province has more oil than the Middle East, yet the Americans still have cheaper gas and are complaining about it :p In 2009 you guys were paying barely half what we were for gas! I suppose Obama should've invaded an oil rich nation like Bush did with Iraq... oh wait, Libya has oil... maybe the price will go down again once they rebuild :p I'm just dreading the day when the POTUS figures out just how much oil Canada has and how close it is; I remember back in the late days of his term, Dick Cheney came here to visit our oilsands, and we were all making jokes here about how he was going to go back and start planning the invasion! :p

Just out of curiosity, what are those in other places paying for gas these days?

new topics

top topics

join