It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Jeanne Lashes Florida Heads Up the East Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hurricane Jeanne, who's path has been very uncertain, is being projected to possibly hit somewhere on the southeastern coast of the United States. This deadly storm, which is the cause of more than 1500 deaths in Haiti could make landfall sometime this weekend or early next week. Hurricane Jeanne is currently packing 90mph maximum sustained winds.

foxnews.com
MIAMI � Deadly Hurricane Jeanne (search) could head back toward the United States and threaten the storm-battered Southeast coast, including Florida, as early as this weekend, forecasters said Wednesday.

It was too soon to tell where or if Jeanne would hit, but forecasters at the National Hurricane Center (search) in Miami warned residents from Florida to Maryland to watch the storm with 90 mph top sustained winds.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is not yet definate that this devastating storm will strike the US. Some computer models have the storm tracking to the east, however, others show it making a direct impact on the United States.

Heavy surf, rip currents, and swells associated with Jeanne, are likely for the United States southeast coast.

UPDATE
Hurricane Jeanne, currently a Category 3 hurricane is predicted to hit the Fort Pierce area late Saturday night. Jeanne is currently pouding Florida's east coast, picking up debris left from Hurricane Frances bringing more than an 8 foot storm surge.

abcnews.go.com
FORT PIERCE (Reuters) - Hurricane Jeanne pelted Florida with blinding rain and fierce winds on Saturday as it took aim at a coastal region still scarred from Hurricane Frances three weeks ago.

The hurricane strengthened and grew rapidly as it strafed the northern Bahamas on its way to deliver a record fourth hurricane strike in one season to densely populated Florida.

The powerful core of the storm was expected to come ashore in the Fort Pierce area late on Saturday -- a one-two punch for a region slammed by Hurricane Frances.

Long before landfall, Jeanne's 115 mph winds picked up debris and piles of tree limbs left behind by Frances' onslaught, and snapped power lines that had only just been fixed. The storm peeled off blue tarps that covered roofs damaged by Frances and huge waves pounded the Atlantic coast.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hurricane Jeanne is currently packing winds sustained at 115mph. Forecasters are warning of a chance of a possible strengthening of the storm before it makes landfall.

At least 3 million residents are reportedly evacuating the Florida coast. Governor Bush is warning residents to not try traveling, but to find a safe place to stay and wait out the storm. Many areas of Florida are already without electricity, and experts are concerned that more than 140,000 people may be homeless after the storm has passed.

UPDATED:

At least 1.5 million people are currently without power as Hurricane Jeanne roars through central Florida today. There are already casualties due to the storm, yet the total number cannot be determined until the storm passes and damage is assessed. Jeanne is predicted to track toward the northeast, through Georgia and the Carolinas by Wednesday.

Related ATS Discussion
Three Million Told to Flee Jeanne in Flordia

[edit on 26-9-2004 by deeprivergal]

[edit on 27-9-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
(400,000) Haitian-Americans try to get news from flood-stricken home (4 days and no photos yet)
www.miami.com...

Why after 3 days of hearing that there was no contact with Tortue island, do we hear that in the Island "nothing happened" ?
Why didn't we get any footage from the main impact area (Tortue island, Port au Paix), 4 days later ?
How is it possible that it takes 4 days to find out that "floods and mudslides had also gutted at least one-third of the homes in Port de Paix, an impoverished northern coastal town of 35,000," ?

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MattMarriott
(400,000) Haitian-Americans try to get news from flood-stricken home (4 days and no photos yet)
www.miami.com...

Ok, cover up for what exactly? is not like the US went there an invaded the island.....

Also, someone was saying that there wasn't enough tv coverage as to what has been happening in Haiti and La Tortue, but down here in Florida we have gotten news and footage of the area for the past 2 or three days. The region was devastated, and i really did not like seeing all the corpses of the children being shown on tv in small piles. I don't see any reason for there being a cover up, of any kind.

[edit on 22-9-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I have updated this thread, and will continue to update as information becomes available.

The next advisory will be released from the National Hurricane Center at 11am.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I swear it looks like someone has been using a laser pointer to direct the storm from a distance.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This new forecast doesn't look good for me

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Nor me....

It better be damned wrong.

I have important plans this weekend dammit...and being rained out isn't one of them...

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
this is getting ridiculous, every weekend I make plans to take down the shutters completely and every weekend there seems to be a threat lurking...and after Jeanne we might still have Lisa to contend with.....arrghhhh...

and looking at that new forecast, it seems the entire state is going to be affected in one way or another. I can only hope the eye stays North of me. (but right now it's pretty damn close)

[edit on 9-23-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
There we go again, we are having such a beautiful weather around here, and after patching up the house after Ivan we have to get ready for the posibility of Jeanne, this is not funny.

posted on Sep, 23 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Nor me....

It better be damned wrong.

I have important plans this weekend dammit...and being rained out isn't one of them...

Hey, why don't you just fly up tp NY?

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Gas shortages already a problem in Broward county, lots of long of lines and some stations have no regular or super only premium left and a few have no gas at all already.

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Nya, not flying out for a mere Cat 2 storm, hehe.... Though if it's an option, my wife may go again...(just because she loves it up there so much, so do I). We went to Niagra Falls last time, so that was pretty cool (just about a 2 hour drive from Rochester)....

this is getting ridiculous, every weekend I make plans to take down the shutters completely and every weekend there seems to be a threat lurking...and after Jeanne we might still have Lisa to contend with.....arrghhhh...

f**k it, they're staying open this time... I'm only leaving the tape on the windows out of sheer laziness..... If it gets bad, they only take a couple minutes to secure anyhow... After 3 such storms, I'm pretty stocked up, and I'm tired of thinking about them at this point...hehe...

I'm ticked because we were taking our daughter to Adventure Island this weekend for her b-day, and now it looks like that will be pushed back a week....

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This has been formatted overlaying Maps of voting records for 2000 Presidential elections and the Hurricane paths. Coincidence?

Off topic slightly:
I sometimes think if a real live reptilian alien walking up and introducing himself/herself to you along with its permission to video tape it, take some good photos of it and take a blood and skin sample, many would still laff and say,,,,"silly conspiracy theorists as they rolled their eyes"

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by project_pisces
This has been formatted overlaying Maps of voting records for 2000 Presidential elections and the Hurricane paths. Coincidence?

How fascinating, but these paths are not even accurate.

Meanwhile, back to Jeanne - she's about hit all the Gore Counties, what should we make of that.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
North West Broward County: Cloudy and breezy, we're supposed to be ready by noon for whatever. I am expecting power outages as soon as the winds get to tropical storm force. Jeanne is making me very nervous and I can only hope that the eye stays north of the Broward/Palm Beach line, but I don't mean to wish this hurricane on anyone else. I am really wishing it just skirts the coasts but so far it's not looking that way, this is going to be really close waiting for that turn.

As for my preps, I am as prepared as I can ever be for any hurricane, the downstairs shutters are back up, everything else inside or tied down. Well stocked, even though i had already donated some of my own supplies for hurricane relief efforts. I prepared for the worst but hoping for the best. I'm going to go outside and enjoy the outdoors as long as I can before having to hunker down. Good luck and stay safe to my fellow Floridians.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have updated the storms 3 and 5 day track, I will update the story in a few. Watch out Florida, she looks like shes going to be pretty bad.

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
NW Broward County: Winds gusting in the 40mph range, squalls, some with heavy downpours. It is expected to get much worse starting around 8-9pm with the worst around midnight. Power is still on, which is sooo good, just wait and see now, but so far looks like we're going to get brushed by Jeanne same way Frances did us 3 weeks ago.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by project_pisces

Isn't election year always funny? Not in a humorous way, in a way that people will put out maps depicting "acts from God".

Florida happens to be experiencing one of those years that come by every-so-often. Next year, there may not be a hurricane come within a 1000 miles of Florida all season long! Just nature. I don't know if this has ever happened, but I know the residents of Florida wouldn't complain.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Well, here we go again (I'm in the yellow area). Gusts average around 30mph right now, and about every 10 min or so. We're about a couple hours away from the real nastiness to hit, still a cat 2 hurricane.... Even witnessed a huge (about 18' or so) limb get snapped outside... Other than that, not much....yet. Still have power obviously, but that's the bigger worry in the hours to come...

Oddly enough, most don't seem to be taking this one seriously... Even I've been a little lax (took off the boards after Ivan missed, never put them back). NO gas lines, NO rush on water at the stores, etc.

Even Evacs weren't ordered until late late last night (and of course, it's pretty much too late now...)

Of course, most of us are still well-stocked from all of the storms already, and already prepared, so hopefully, that's the reason for everyone...

We're ok for at least a couple weeks without power, but I hope that we never have to test that....

[edit on 26-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Well, looking much better for me - woke up and still have power. The winds are suppossed to increase later (I am just in the outter bands now) but a tornado watch is in effect all day here.

I just can't believe you go to bed with it coming at you and wake up and the brunt is going entirely somewhere else. Not like the whole width of the state isn't under this thing - but this is the second time people on the east coast thought tampa looked like a better bet and then at the last minute - not!

Anyway - hope everyone stays well. We also are better prepared this time so it will be rough - but not life threatening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join