It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

'Discriminatory' food names should be banned, says Austria

page: 1
3
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Gourmands in Austria have called for "discriminatory" names for food, such as "n-----bread" and "whore's pasta" to be banned on the grounds that they are offensive.



They say it is no longer acceptable to include Zigeunerschnitzel (gipsy schnitzel) or Mohr im Hemd (Moor-in-a-shirt, a chocolate and cream confection) on menus in the Alpine country.

Negerbrot (n-----bread), a type of black bread, was particularly derogatory and should be consigned to history.

The association of Austrian restaurateurs said that while many of the appellations had a long heritage, they were now unacceptable.

It is not just German names that they want to ditch – the association also objects to "spaghetti alla puttanesca", literally "whore's spaghetti", so named for its rich, spicy taste – chilli is added to the recipe of tomatoes, olives, capers and anchovies.

It suggested that gipsy schnitzel should be renamed "cutlet with pepper sauce", "n----- bread" should be scrapped in favour of "very dark bread" and "Moor-in-a-shirt" should be called simply and rather prosaically "chocolate dessert with cream".

But Harald Ultsch, the president of a Tyrolean gastronomy association, said the proposed ban took political correctness too far. "These are traditional dishes," he said.


I'm in two minds about this.

n----- bread is a bit off but isn't that, in English anyway, a real colour? I remember 'n-word' brown on tins of paint when I was younger.

"whore's spaghetti" - do whores really mind?

Is this political correctness going to far?




posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
heres some more Classics that would probably give the censors a heart attack



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What's Arnold Schwarzenegger going to be called?

Schwarz = German for the color black
Neger = German/Dutch for one with Negroid characteristics.



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ollncasino
 


I was right. Paint did used to be called Nigger Brown



How politically incorrect people were in the past.



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ollncasino
reply to post by ollncasino
 


I was right. Paint did used to be called Nigger Brown



How politically incorrect people were in the past.

Oh wow... You'll have to excuse my wide eyed wonder, but things like that were pretty much all picked up and properly erased about the time I was old enough to be aware they'd ever existed. I just HAD to save that. No one will believe a real photo showed such a thing.. LOL....

Nice one to go to bed on. S/F


(Oh..and when the names of food are the subject of bans..people need to get a life or go borrow one..but do it outside of elected office. It's gotten out of hand)



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
What's Arnold Schwarzenegger going to be called?

Schwarz = German for the color black
Neger = German/Dutch for one with Negroid characteristics.


IT IS schwarzNEGGER, so not Neger. And Neger is not really an offending term in Holland, Nigger is (because of the history of black slavery and such)



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh wow... You'll have to excuse my wide eyed wonder, but things like that were pretty much all picked up and properly erased about the time I was old enough to be aware they'd ever existed.

I just HAD to save that. No one will believe a real photo showed such a thing.. LOL....


I remember seeing 'n-word' brown as a description of a shade of brown in the 1980s.

I suppose that is where the term came from. It was actually a real colour?



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
My grandfather always called Brazil Nuts "Nig**r toes."
...food for thought? Ahahaha.... (at the pun... Not the n***** part...)

But I do think that this entire "political correctness" thing is getting a bit out of hand.
edit on 18-3-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof
 


Uhmmm...that would be Schwarzen - egger, as in schwarz (black) and egger (corner), probably meaning his last name originated in a place that was dark and isolated (like a corner of a forest).

@ollncasino:

We (the Netherlands) used to have "negerzoenen", translated "negro kisses". They are a kind of chocolate covered oversized chemically enhanced cream sweets. Now they are just called "kisses".......

Oh well....

Peace



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by novemberecho
But I do think that this entire "political correctness" thing is getting a bit out of hand.


What is wrong with "spaghetti alla puttanesca", literally "whore's spaghetti"

I'm sure the whores don't mind.




posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
reply to post by DaTroof
 


Uhmmm...that would be Schwarzen - egger, as in schwarz (black) and egger (corner), probably meaning his last name originated in a place that was dark and isolated (like a corner of a forest).

@ollncasino:

We (the Netherlands) used to have "negerzoenen", translated "negro kisses". They are a kind of chocolate covered oversized chemically enhanced cream sweets. Now they are just called "kisses".......

Oh well....

Peace


That is strange, I live in the Netherland to and they are still called "negerzoenen" where I come from. Didn't you know that it was a HUGE commercial marketing-stunt????



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Well, I for one think some aspects of political correctness have been a good thing. It has improved the lives for millions of minorities around the world. I'm sorry if you feel you have had your rights removed to call black people the n word by the PC brigade.




posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ollncasino
 


Absolutely! I'm sure they're proud. Send more people to strip clubs, how else are we supposed to get dem strippers through college?

(that was litteraly my ex's excuse for wanting to go to a strip club for Christmas -_- apparently it's "tradition" for him to go to one, it's what he did while he was in that giant freaking explosive sandbox during the holidays for three years.)



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
i knew someone from austria who would have "Stinkige Osterreichische" for breakfast. which literally means "smelly austrians".

he told me it's eggs with ketchup and anchovies. so named because it smells like an austrian woman. not the fit ones that look like claudia schiffer, though.


edit on 18-3-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by yougetwhatyoudeserve
 


Look closely....it doesn't say "negerzoenen" anymore but "negen zoenen" (nine kisses).....

Peace



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
woops...double post
edit on 18-3-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by operation mindcrime
woops...double post
edit on 18-3-2012 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)


Im reading about it now and you are right, Didn't know that.



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime
 


Ah, thanks for the clarification. I had always assumed his name derived from the two root words in my post. Star for you.






posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Well, I for one think some aspects of political correctness have been a good thing.

It has improved the lives for millions of minorities around the world.

I'm sorry if you feel you have had your rights removed to call black people the n word by the PC brigade.


Don't worry, I don't feel I have had rights removed to not be allowed to call black people 'n-word'. Strangely, black people can still call themselves that and often do.

By the way, has political correctness improved the lives for millions of minorities around the world?

I was under the impression that political correctness was a Western concept, and largely a UK/USA one at that.



posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
There is a difference between being UN-politically correct and just straight up racist









top topics



 
3
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join