Surreal Inkwork. Opinions on color needed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Hi guys,

I'm a Melbourne based artist who deals with micro pens and very small pieces of paper.
I've had a few exhibitions and starting to get known for my style, but I'm now currently thinking about moving into color with my pieces.

My question is, what are your thoughts on introducing color into my work?

Some scanned art examples are below. All are very small (A7-A3 size).

Thanks in advance!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Honestly, those particular pieces are way too busy for full color in my opinion. Perhaps a splash here or there for effect, but there is so much detail that coloring would detract from that. Do you have any other works less ornate?

P.S.Cool art.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Beautiful!

I am a big fan of deep blues myself.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Honestly, those particular pieces are way too busy for full color in my opinion. Perhaps a splash here or there for effect, but there is so much detail that coloring would detract from that. Do you have any other works less ornate? P.S.Cool art.

Thanks! Yeah I'm kinda thinking the same. No less ornate. All my stuff is basically that busy.

Beautiful! I am a big fan of deep blues myself.

Thank you too! I think maybe deep blue only in the top half of the sky would be good if I made it prominent.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

That's cool. The theme reminds me of a dollar bill on '___'.

Keep up the good work.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Haha, thanks!

There's a bit of mind altering influence involved in what I do.
I'm not advocating anything illegal here. Meditation can even send you off into a visual journey.

There is a bit of a connection, especially with Masonry.
edit on 18-3-2012 by Noinoi because: 1 line response isn't a good thing.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

I noticed several eyes and pyramids.

Is there anything else hidden?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I see a lot of life, in the art.

I think ... Yellow, green, different human skin colors, blue and sandstone.

Nice work, i like it
edit on 18-3-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
These are incredible, great work. If I were you I would use colors from nature, anything from greens to blue and oranges, it should add another dimension to your work without distracting. Really, really great work though, I would love to have some hanging in my place!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Datroof:

I noticed several eyes and pyramids. Is there anything else hidden?

There are a few other things, but not so much in the examples I posted!
Mianeye:

I see a lot of life, in the art. I think ... Yellow, green, different human skin colors, blue and sandstone. Nice work, i like it

Thankyou! Never sonsidered sandstone. Cheers!
MentalPriapism:

These are incredible, great work. If I were you I would use colors from nature, anything from greens to blue and oranges, it should add another dimension to your work without distracting. Really, really great work though, I would love to have some hanging in my place!

Thanks! I'm getting the green, blue vibe!

I made a video a year ago with other examples.
It has a link to my art blog, but no real personal info. If inappropriate, please delete Mods.
edit on 18-3-2012 by Noinoi because: Add Youtube video example.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

ooooo!!!! super duper awesome schweet!

i love your details. love, lurv,

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

Your work is stunning! Very much my taste.

As a fellow artist, I would ad no colour to it at all. The Black and White works so well on many levels.
Really lovely!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think with the right piece you could incorporate color for some really psychedelic stuff. The pieces you posted have intricate lines that would probably get lost in darker colors. So I'd go bright and trippy. Your art reminds me of M.C. Escher.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Honestly, those particular pieces are way too busy for full color in my opinion. Perhaps a splash here or there for effect, but there is so much detail that coloring would detract from that. Do you have any other works less ornate? P.S.Cool art.

My opinion too. Color would distract from the details of the pieces. Great art!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

Loved looking at them. Thanks.

Do you remember poster art and how we could paint them with markers? I'm no expert on art, but somehow if you moved away from a single colour, or shades of a single colour, then it would somehow diminish it, imo.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Thanks for all your opinions and support guys!

Yeah, I think color would make them too busy.
I'm considering burning the images onto wooden sheets and polishing them. Might be the closest I get to color!

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

acid etching onto metal sheets, or detailing wood cuts to stamp out lithographic prints wold be pretty nifty.

Exposing chemically treated photo paper to light similar to darkroom development process, while covering the paper with a cut-out form of the designs will give you a 'photo' of your work with the surrealistic soft transition of light bleed around edges.

Edit: a cut out wouldn't work with the level of detail you have, but, doing a transfer over to a acetate film transparency would work in allowing light to hit photo paper in the right spots white blocking others.

An acetate transparency would further allow you enlarge, or even shrink your work.

Shrinking your work down to postage stamp size without losing even a speck of detail would for certain be quite interesting.

edit on 19-3-2012 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You have some really cool work, your lines are intense and alive. Don't ever stop.

I feel your work is strong enough on it's own. but maybe make several prints on watercolor paper and try some subtle color washes? Maybe play around with watercolor pens or colored pencils? Metallic pens?

The thing about really good black and white art like yours is it translates well over to tshirts and products really well, and you might be able to pay the bills with it that way.
I'm at that point where I'm starting to get creative about selling my art and finding a better audience for it, it can be tricky for some artists.

Best of luck to you, and truly wonderful art!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Your work is absolutely brilliant. Crisp. Clean. Clear. Detailed. Intricate. Uniquely you.

.. remember poster art and how we could paint them ... if you moved away from a single colour, ...it would somehow diminish it, imo.

Agree completely. I still have an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons coloring book (late 70s), that I could never bring myself to color. Nothing you could do to make them look better than the intricate black & white. Think Ansel Adams or Escher.

Are you considering color, for artistic/expression reasons? Or marketing reasons?

If the idea is that color will expand your audience, the only color I would recommend is maybe in digital form, toning just the black itself to different colors & leaving the white space white. That would fix the need for color without sacrificing clarity.

Don't mess with perfection, says I.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Awesome stuff man.

As far as a colour for them, I wouldn't add any. they look amazing as is and like others have said, adding colour would diminish them, imo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join