It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Archaeologists uncover pre-Christian temple in Norway

page: 10
21
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimePorkchop

Originally posted by Donahue
Isn't there a sin saying that you can't enforce Christianity on others.. hmm..so according to the their belief they all went to hell.....


sometimes, the willful ignorance of other people absolutely astounds me. You choose to ridicule the idea of Christianity by pointing at its dumbest followers.

You're no different than the people who call all Muslims terrorists.


Hi Prime,
makin me hungry

It didn't take you long to catch on.
What is the adjenda of them Bones?




posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

A fascinating discovery is shedding light upon pre-Christian Scandinavian religion and early Christian inroads into Norway. In the Norwegian press, this highly important find is being called "unparalleled," "first of its kind" and "unique," said to have been "deliberately and carefully hidden" - from invading and destructive Christians.

Located at the site of Ranheim, about 10 kilometers south of the Norwegian city of Trondheim, the astonishing discovery was unearthed while excavating foundations for new houses and includes a "gudehovet" or "god temple." Occupied from the 6th or 5th century BCE until the 10th century AD/CE, the site shows signs of usage for animal sacrifice, a common practice among different peoples in antiquity, including the biblical Israelites. (E.g., Num 7:17-88) Over 1,000 years ago, the site was dismantled and covered by a thick layer of peat, evidently to protect it from marauding Christian invaders. These native Norse religionists apparently then fled to other places, such as Iceland, where they could re-erect their altars and re-establish the old religion.

www.examiner.com...

Well, I thought this was an interesting find

One aspect of this article is that it states they felt the need to protect their holy site from Christians.
This intrigues me...
Why do christians have to destroy and/or build on top of other people's holy sites?
Also do you have a favourite example of a holy site that Christians have built on top of, or is there such a site where you are?
edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: spelling grammer


Easy. The same reason Starbucks looks to conquer busy intersections. It's just business. Plow over someone elses temple and throw up your own and start redirecting those tithes towards a new set of fairy tales.

In my mind the most obscene of these examples is the whole of North and South America. It's not a specific religious site per se....but can any greater case be made for the complete and utter destruction of the existing sets of religious beliefs and replacement with Christianity?



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by repeatoffender
 


Hi repeat,
I am in favor of putting out an APB or BOLF to all churches.
It is sunday and DAN BONES knows where you are! yikes!
later ljb



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Very interesting article and find, thanks OP. S & F.

However, like others, i have to say that it isn't just Christianity - this sort of thing has happened throughout history and with various religions / cultures. For example, the Romans did this all over their empire. Simplest example (as i am in the UK) is the Temple of Sulla Minerva in Bath - a hybrid of Roman and British goddesses built on the site of an existing British holy place.

Same goes for countless other places.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Originally posted by Danbones

A fascinating discovery is shedding light upon pre-Christian Scandinavian religion and early Christian inroads into Norway. In the Norwegian press, this highly important find is being called "unparalleled," "first of its kind" and "unique," said to have been "deliberately and carefully hidden" - from invading and destructive Christians.

Located at the site of Ranheim, about 10 kilometers south of the Norwegian city of Trondheim, the astonishing discovery was unearthed while excavating foundations for new houses and includes a "gudehovet" or "god temple." Occupied from the 6th or 5th century BCE until the 10th century AD/CE, the site shows signs of usage for animal sacrifice, a common practice among different peoples in antiquity, including the biblical Israelites. (E.g., Num 7:17-88) Over 1,000 years ago, the site was dismantled and covered by a thick layer of peat, evidently to protect it from marauding Christian invaders. These native Norse religionists apparently then fled to other places, such as Iceland, where they could re-erect their altars and re-establish the old religion.

www.examiner.com...

Well, I thought this was an interesting find

One aspect of this article is that it states they felt the need to protect their holy site from Christians.
This intrigues me...
Why do christians have to destroy and/or build on top of other people's holy sites?
Also do you have a favourite example of a holy site that Christians have built on top of, or is there such a site where you are?
edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: spelling grammer


Easy. The same reason Starbucks looks to conquer busy intersections. It's just business. Plow over someone elses temple and throw up your own and start redirecting those tithes towards a new set of fairy tales.


And it never occurred to you that people LIKE starbucks so they build a new starbuck shop because people are interested in it.

Some have legitimate visions of Jesus.

ETA: Whoa...hold on a second there. Where is the evidence that a new place of worship was built in replacement of this one?

Is this the case? Now my interest is piqued.
edit on 19-3-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
Please produce the so called Archeologist's writting.
Don't link to it. Or spin that it is here and it was there.
If you are honest you will post it with your next post to me.

Few things here...
First off, since I don't speak Norwegian, I can't cite the original article but by all appeareances:
www.transpersonlig.no... comes close.
Second, why 'so called archaeologist'? His credentials are available and quite clear.
Third...myself? I am a government licenced avocational, which means I don't do it for a living but I have been academically trained and have field experience in my jurisdiction. My work is sanctioned and monitored by some of the top in the field.
And why was I quiet for a few hours? I went to sleep, people.

So much for answering the deflection.

What irks me is the fact that I put out a fairly succinct question about what is getting people all upset on this thread...asked what was being challenged and why. I got deflections in response...questioning the credibility of all concerned and so on and so on.

I am shocked that the simple statement that Christians destroyed pagan religious sites is being called 'anti Christian', and that some people are losing their collective nuts in trying to shoot the messenger. It makes a very sad statement about the relationship that some people nurture between their faith and the world around them. I think I missed the part where the prophet declared "Go forth and be dullards"
Deny Ignorance, people.

What's next? Christians didn't burn Beatles albums either?


and that's my final word on the subject.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The christian faith, the vatican, is based on a reptilian allegory.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NaptownBrown
 


Hey, what's going on Naptown!!! I see you just joined ATS! Welcome friend! And a big salute to the 317 my man, I can see LOS from the sidewalk in front of my house bro.


God Bless, look forward to your future contributions here in the forum. And I agree with what you said, good answer.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by 369habitat
The christian faith, the vatican, is based on a reptilian allegory.


The Vatican has to do with Catholicism. Christianity is based on Jesus and ends with Jesus, and if we have any more time more Jesus. And He's Jewish btw. Unless of course you were implying all Jews are slithering reptiles, to which I firmly disagree on all fronts. Also, if I can't go over to Gray Area and give my opinions of ET's as inter-dimensional demonic entities, then you guys should be able to come over here and label Jesus the Son of space lizards. Seems fair to me.


EDIT: Actually, it looks like you're just spamming:


www.Abovetopsecret.com...


edit on 19-3-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is a pretty cool story, i'm glad to see the temple was saved and is being studied. Learning how ancients lived is always fascinating for me.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnimositisominA
Yall are acting like little schoolgirls.
What a waste of a good thread.
Im surprised the mods havnt shut it down.
The way you guys are bickering is an example of what really holds ats back.
Congrats.


which is a perfect example of..of...itself


quiet
we is a christian bashing....
its kinda like the way the vatican used to dis people who thought the earth was round
or that thought the earth went around the sun...or were witches..(which some scientists say don't exist)
or had false gods
or gold (Like jesus bashed the bankers in the temple.. I guess they had gold)
they used to bash them .....to death ...and it was OK

edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

ETA: Whoa...hold on a second there. Where is the evidence that a new place of worship was built in replacement of this one?

where is the evidence anyone said they did?
( other then the historical record posted re all of europe and north America, but that is not IN the OP..it answers to it )

I certainly wanted to know why the pagans lit out
I certainly would like to read if any have suffered the same fate
what happens if they didn't run like the local Huron did to christianity contribute to their demise?
(at the behest of power and money...and greed for good land)

they of the "false gods" who aren't to question the one "true" god or any of the one true gods it seems...
who BTW can't prove he exists...but apparentlys tell peope who to vote for.....
and is alwas asking for to send money...
and bashing evevryone elses (FALSE) gods

I can see why they didn't hang around to debate:
listen sworod swingin Mr Christian ....I beg to differ..2 plus2 IS four...
GET HIM!!!!

I certainly would LOVE to hear of other virgin birth myths or ( histories ) like the case of the founder of the worlds OLDEST democracy that chrisitianity has stiffled

AND
answer me this:
how is it those that support the OP have posted a nice pile of references to the truth of the site in the OP and the opinion of the author
while the detractors ...
Not so much.....if at all...have just been osama bin bashing the posters who have
its like we said 911 was an inside job or something



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Are people seriously questioning whether or not Christians have ever built their holy places on top of the previous cultures holy places?


St Peter's Church and Basilica in Rome were built on top of ancient graveyards. Many temples from older times owe their survival to being converted into Christian churches, for example The Temple of Augustus and Livia at Vienne, Isere.

One of the few conquering cultures not to do this were, ironically (given this site is in Norway), what we know as the Vikings. Realising that they wished to settle the land conquered, they thought it would be better if they didn't annoy the locals by trampling all over their religions.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
reply to post by repeatoffender
 

Hi repeat,
I am in favor of putting out an APB or BOLF to all churches.
It is sunday and DAN BONES knows where you are! yikes!
later ljb


Originally posted by longjohnbritches

Originally posted by PrimePorkchop
sometimes, the willful ignorance of other people absolutely astounds me. You choose to ridicule the idea of Christianity by pointing at its dumbest followers.

I am all about referencing my opinions but this time
I'll let you guys speak for yourselves


I can see why the Norse lit out when they heard the Christians we coming



edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian
 

sT Peter's and the Basilica
That would be where the pope who declared his opinons were infallible, and who thought the sun went around the EArth ( why is Earth the plANet named after a sumerian god? ), declared he had temporal rights over all the kings and lands and tythe collecting priviledges over same, and who sent crusades out to rape and pillage the non believers, and sometimes the believers too, hung out...

I wish I could double star that, and give you a flag

thanks
edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones
 


Why thank you


I have to say, my purpose wasn't Christian bashing, more pointing out that all cultures have taken over or demolished the holy places of other religions and cultures. I was merely demonstrating this to those Christians on this thread who seemed to not want to know or believe that even Christians were capable of this.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by repeatoffender

Originally posted by Danbones

A fascinating discovery is shedding light upon pre-Christian Scandinavian religion and early Christian inroads into Norway. In the Norwegian press, this highly important find is being called "unparalleled," "first of its kind" and "unique," said to have been "deliberately and carefully hidden" - from invading and destructive Christians.

Located at the site of Ranheim, about 10 kilometers south of the Norwegian city of Trondheim, the astonishing discovery was unearthed while excavating foundations for new houses and includes a "gudehovet" or "god temple." Occupied from the 6th or 5th century BCE until the 10th century AD/CE, the site shows signs of usage for animal sacrifice, a common practice among different peoples in antiquity, including the biblical Israelites. (E.g., Num 7:17-88) Over 1,000 years ago, the site was dismantled and covered by a thick layer of peat, evidently to protect it from marauding Christian invaders. These native Norse religionists apparently then fled to other places, such as Iceland, where they could re-erect their altars and re-establish the old religion.

www.examiner.com...

Well, I thought this was an interesting find

One aspect of this article is that it states they felt the need to protect their holy site from Christians.
This intrigues me...
Why do christians have to destroy and/or build on top of other people's holy sites?
Also do you have a favourite example of a holy site that Christians have built on top of, or is there such a site where you are?
edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: spelling grammer


and how exactly do they know they buried it all to protect it from marauding christians, did they leave a tablet stating "we are leaving because those damned christians are coming" would they have had time to pack it all down nice and neat if an army was on the march. come on how rediculous it would be like england burying westminster because hitler was going to invade. a more logical reason would be that a prominant person for the town was buried inside the building and the people moved on. burying nord kings in there ships was common practice. i feel somehow someone has has put an anti christian spin on this for there own purpose.
i'm not a god person, but this stuff pisses me off


guess you didn't read the historical record that was posted earlier of the invading christians at that time and their forced conversions



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck
 


I could see from your previous posts elsewhere that you have good knowledge of archeology. My only question to you is do you know where I can get some Salt codfish from that's reasonably priced? One local to your area using traditional methods.



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by Danbones
 


Why thank you


I have to say, my purpose wasn't Christian bashing, more pointing out that all cultures have taken over or demolished the holy places of other religions and cultures. I was merely demonstrating this to those Christians on this thread who seemed to not want to know or believe that even Christians were capable of this.


Stating the historical record is christian bashin?
I don't think it is
Well..other then as a reaction some of the totally unChristian and un ATS like behavior on this thread

This is an a study of an example of forced conversion for political and power aquisition tactics used by the church to increase its power and financial base, and the reaction of a free people to that phenomina.

Anyhow according to the protestants, the fundimentalists, the dispensationalists, and apparently the zionist christians, the so called self styled christian invaders wwe are discussing here are NOT even real Christians...
I think I am beginning to understand what they are getting at

edit on 19-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
Please produce the so called Archeologist's writting.
Don't link to it. Or spin that it is here and it was there.
If you are honest you will post it with your next post to me.

Few things here...
First off, since I don't speak Norwegian, I can't cite the original article but by all appeareances:
www.transpersonlig.no... comes close.
Second, why 'so called archaeologist'? His credentials are available and quite clear.
Third...myself? I am a government licenced avocational, which means I don't do it for a living but I have been academically trained and have field experience in my jurisdiction. My work is sanctioned and monitored by some of the top in the field.
And why was I quiet for a few hours? I went to sleep, people.

So much for answering the deflection.

What irks me is the fact that I put out a fairly succinct question about what is getting people all upset on this thread...asked what was being challenged and why. I got deflections in response...questioning the credibility of all concerned and so on and so on.

I am shocked that the simple statement that Christians destroyed pagan religious sites is being called 'anti Christian', and that some people are losing their collective nuts in trying to shoot the messenger. It makes a very sad statement about the relationship that some people nurture between their faith and the world around them. I think I missed the part where the prophet declared "Go forth and be dullards"
Deny Ignorance, people.

What's next? Christians didn't burn Beatles albums either?


and that's my final word on the subject.


Who would believe you had any cred whatsoever.
Like right here duh,
You high jack a post ment for bones.
Then you try to excuse yoursrlf with more spin than Mercury.
My question to you sir was
What is the definition of an Archeoligist?
If you walk like a duck start quackin like one




top topics



 
21
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

log in

join