It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists uncover pre-Christian temple in Norway

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

A fascinating discovery is shedding light upon pre-Christian Scandinavian religion and early Christian inroads into Norway. In the Norwegian press, this highly important find is being called "unparalleled," "first of its kind" and "unique," said to have been "deliberately and carefully hidden" - from invading and destructive Christians.

Located at the site of Ranheim, about 10 kilometers south of the Norwegian city of Trondheim, the astonishing discovery was unearthed while excavating foundations for new houses and includes a "gudehovet" or "god temple." Occupied from the 6th or 5th century BCE until the 10th century AD/CE, the site shows signs of usage for animal sacrifice, a common practice among different peoples in antiquity, including the biblical Israelites. (E.g., Num 7:17-88) Over 1,000 years ago, the site was dismantled and covered by a thick layer of peat, evidently to protect it from marauding Christian invaders. These native Norse religionists apparently then fled to other places, such as Iceland, where they could re-erect their altars and re-establish the old religion.

www.examiner.com...

Well, I thought this was an interesting find

One aspect of this article is that it states they felt the need to protect their holy site from Christians.
This intrigues me...
Why do christians have to destroy and/or build on top of other people's holy sites?
Also do you have a favourite example of a holy site that Christians have built on top of, or is there such a site where you are?
edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: spelling grammer

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Isn't there a sin saying that you can't enforce Christianity on others.. hmm..so according to the their belief they all went to hell.....

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

some say we are there now

of course it just might be that the invading army just happened to be christian...but there is an example locally where the christians made a point of not only putting an edifice on a holy site, but the original culture was wiped out
it is rumored that here there was a virgin birth amoungst the preceding civilization....

I have read there is a trend regarding the burying if preceding religions holy things and places to avoid compatition .
I hoped it would be a good topic for discussion

edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

you are familiar with the links to Catholicism and the Romans, no? That is why they build on top of other sites: it is a political religious cult. They didn't "convert", they "conquered".

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

A fascinating discovery is shedding light upon pre-Christian Scandinavian religion and early Christian inroads into Norway. In the Norwegian press, this highly important find is being called "unparalleled," "first of its kind" and "unique," said to have been "deliberately and carefully hidden" - from invading and destructive Christians.

Located at the site of Ranheim, about 10 kilometers south of the Norwegian city of Trondheim, the astonishing discovery was unearthed while excavating foundations for new houses and includes a "gudehovet" or "god temple." Occupied from the 6th or 5th century BCE until the 10th century AD/CE, the site shows signs of usage for animal sacrifice, a common practice among different peoples in antiquity, including the biblical Israelites. (E.g., Num 7:17-88) Over 1,000 years ago, the site was dismantled and covered by a thick layer of peat, evidently to protect it from marauding Christian invaders. These native Norse religionists apparently then fled to other places, such as Iceland, where they could re-erect their altars and re-establish the old religion.

www.examiner.com...

Well, I thought this was an interesting find

One aspect of this article is that it states they felt the need to protect their holy site from Christians.
This intrigues me...
Why do christians have to destroy and/or build on top of other people's holy sites?
Also do you have a favourite example of a holy site that Christians have built on top of, or is there such a site where you are?
edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: spelling grammer

Hi Dan
Totally not unusual. The victor usually builds over top of the vanquished.
To include places of worship. Going on since day one.
Christianity is one of the fledgling religons and has a lot of it's churches on top of other's holy places by virtue of chronology alone.
Take the reporters spiel with a grain of salt and persue the Archeoligist report if you really want to know some facts. These days though, I am not even certain of that.
All the best with with your thread, I hope somehere can connect Greenland or even Iceland with that dig. Now that would be cool
Oh, BTW I forgot to mention. No Christians built over that site. I hope you remind your Christian basher posters.
edit on 17-3-2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

you are familiar with the links to Catholicism and the Romans, no? That is why they build on top of other sites: it is a political religious cult. They didn't "convert", they "conquered".

hey, Nice to see you BFFT
I have an opinion but if you have specifics, I would be happy to read them
I have always felt the Romans couldn't hold the world through force of arms so they switched to mind control via the church and the Mob..much better profit ratio..
( I'd like to make a distinction between the religious pay pay pay flock of christians and spritual walk the walk do the right thing christians here )

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

Those are good points
the site was hidden so the original owners expected the hordes to do something to the site if they found it.

Here in the land of the Huron, the church made a bee line for this spot. had the first mas in Upper Canada and intentionally did their best to eradicate the site and obfuscate the situation...even though other aspects of the culture survived..and surfaced as a precurser to the US constitution...

religion bashing is one thing and we do see a lot of that from all sides but spirituality bashing not so much

which I think says something about religion

I notice in the article the author links the animal sacrifice pagans to the animal sacrifice biblical Hebrews through bible verses...the christian church being distinctly separate from both practices

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

chrestos not christos

www.freethoughtnation.com...

hmm there is some real food for thought in some of the links
the chrestos is apparently a religion which was swallowed up by the christos cult in the late first through second centuries
as per the thread title...

gonna have to do some reading

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

Those are good points
the site was hidden so the original owners expected the hordes to do something to the site if they found it.

Here in the land of the Huron, the church made a bee line for this spot. had the first mas in Upper Canada and intentionally did their best to eradicate the site and obfuscate the situation...even though other aspects of the culture survived..and surfaced as a precurser to the US constitution...

religion bashing is one thing and we do see a lot of that from all sides but spirituality bashing not so much

which I think says something about religion

I notice in the article the author links the animal sacrifice pagans to the animal sacrifice biblical Hebrews through bible verses...the christian church being distinctly separate from both practices

Thanks Dan,

I don't care for the mind control aspects of any religon but I do put stock in the philosophical and spiritual aspects of most. Bare in mind that they did not all develope in the same place, same time.
One thing you mentioned about sacrifice is very interesting to me.
I have studied cultures that have practised it in the past. All folks alive today can find it in the roots of ther ancestry
I have always attributed it to cultural developement and not religion. I guess I just look at humanity as a product of opportunity and religion as just a tool.
Getting that out of the way and back to the article.
If you look at the site through the eyes of the reporter, errr well there may be some circmstantial evidence about Christianity. But through the eye of the disipline of archeology there is none. At least from what I read.
I think it would be different if carved into one of those big stones was something like "Jesus and his followers stay OUT.
The dig holds enough intrigue for a neat discussion. For the things that happened. They wil affect life for a long time to come.
I know it's late but Carson is no longer on.
BTW " The Sack of Saint Frances" is right up my ally. Anarundle too
edit on 18-3-2012 by longjohnbritches because: add stuff

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

sure i guess the assumption is they know when xians invaded
interesting note
in greenland when the climate cooled and it became not so green and the supply ships were running low
the vikings settlers appealed to the Innuit to help them hunt foor food
the Innuit couldn't separate their spritual practice from the hunt as they saw it all as an interconnected whole.
the priest forbade the Vikings to take part because of the proscriptions of christianity re the pagan spirtual aspects of hunting

the vikings I think, all died that winter
im looking for a link re that story
havn't found one yet but here is another nice general time line to compare with
here is a time line of green land

History of Medieval Greenland
And associated places, like Iceland and Vinland.

www.personal.utulsa.edu...

edit on 18-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
this may be off topic but i was just thinking that the whole thought that god and mortal souls always thought of others that did not believe in their religion would goto hell. But how could god send other people to hell? could he handle hell as a mortal soul? probably not, nor would he want to or anyone for that matter of fact. thinking of the assumption that you are a christian of course.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

i always felt that that hell thing was a scare tactic
another tool to gain control over people
a demonification to make it easier to make war on non believers

I mean why kill non believers if you are sending them to heaven?
they might tell god on you and be waiting at the gate when you got there
and in that sence it is on topic because the pagan site in th OP is claimed to be hidden from christians

like the way the french resistance hid their radios from the nazis

if the norse pagans hung around maybe they paid lip service to the conquering hordes so they didn't get killed as pagans

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Btw at the link above there is a big wave of emigration and travel to settlement in the western Atlantic etc just around the tenth Century
which coincides with the OP timeline

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

It's just frustrating sometimes because religion can have it's up and downs. You really will never know what really exists in the after life until your dead. That's probably religions biggest motto is "faith." Such a mystery i guess. But I've heard people say they've had god speak to them. Then in scripture, prophets have talked to angels and what not. How come there is no sign of them in our time. As in it was an exclusive time for them to be able to have spiritual connections. Then also what about the people before Christ? did they go to hell? How would they even know about the "Christianity god." It's just too confusing to make sense. You no what i mean?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
It's scary how the deliberate use of terms to influence or reinforce indoctrination against Christianity is swallowed up by the masses. There is zero evidence that this site was buried to "protect it" from the "marauding Christians"

A few television shows and films glorifying these ancient pagan "gods" and people gobble it up as truth. Never once are you informed of the human sacrifices that accompanied these different ancient religions because if it was, it couldn't be sold so easily. Instead, it must be glorified and dressed up as the true religion - no matter if it's Babylonian, Mayan, Norse, Extraterrestrial or whatever.

It was a religion. A religion where people were fooled into thinking that sacrificing humans appeased their "gods".

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
here is an example and I think a critical one regarding how the church would obfuscate to keep a monopoly on control..and a reason why the norse would have been leary of the church..they knew something of navigation too
maybe even some of this:

I have watched the movei "the cross of thoth" and I found this very interesting

Re celtic astrology:
It seems there may be more to the meme then meets the eye
after looking into this and watching the movie he made where he shows how the astrological systems and henges and temples were part of the time and navigation sysystems that go along with this discovery of what the celtic cross really does..we find for instance that the church FORBADE people to look up at the stars..because astrology was EVIL!..the world was of course flat back then

the church even destroyed the cross of power that the south americans had which they used to build and make calendars with

just thought I'd throw this out there in case any one is interested

In 1997 Crichton E M Miller, a qualified navigator, made an astounding discovery that will change the way we see history and religion. This discovery is a revelation that reveals how our ancestors thought, their view on spirituality and their true capabilities. What Crichton discovered is that the Celtic cross was a mathematical measuring instrument that allows any observer, with sufficient knowledge, to find their geographical position anywhere in the world. You could say it was the world's first computer, certainly the working cross still is an instrument that can be used for remarkably accurate navigation, astronomy and surveying. Having made this discovery, Crichton was awarded a British Patent on the instrument in November 2000, proving that the cross is unique, that it actually works and is fully capable of achieving all the functions that he claims for it. Crichton went on to research the cross as an ancient instrument of navigation throughout history and discovered that there are actual artifacts of this instrument in the Great Pyramid of Khufu at Giza, Egypt. Thus proving that pyramids all over the world could not exist without the cross and therefore the cross is older than the pyramids. Crichton's excellent research shows how the Ancient Egyptian knowledge was derived from the skills of even more ancient sea going people that crossed the Atlantic and other oceans of the world long before Christopher Columbus. He goes on to show how they built and used a network of pyramids, henges and megaliths to find latitude, longitude and tell time with an accuracy beyond the comprehension of an uninitiated observer.

Crichton reveals how and why the star cults were born, why the zodiac was invented, how the very concept of time was understood leading on to a enlightened and spiritual understanding of Nature and the Cosmos. Revealed to the public for the first time in thousands of years, this forgotten knowledge helps unravel the truth about our prehistoric past, the roots of our religions and the foundations of our societies. To read more of Crichton's work visit www.crichtonmiller.com...

www.world-mysteries.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

As I posted above it shows your statements may be may be a bit simplistic and are certainly generalizations.

obviously if they were afraid of the church it must have been their fault?
see my above post re the strving Vikings not being allowed to learn from the innuit by the priest
they were all sacrificed on the alter of ignorance

it is often said that as a society progresses, tyrants worm their way in and use sacrifice to keep the masses under contol..this is not nesessarily indicitive of their societies as a whole...

certainly the church BURNT many they found with esoteric knowledge or nice stuff (inquisition)or who were respected by the people and threatened their monoploly on knowledge and leadership
remeber the Cathars?
the first man to translate the bible into english? (killed by the church)

They say dna has shown that half the people on death row in the US are innocent
how about the armys use of soldiers as guinea pigs at nuclear bomb test sites
or the children dying of vaccinations..
or staved by speculation caused price increases..
the church is one of the biggest share holders in the world you know...

you have the religious wars in europe which killed millions over which kind of christian they were
you have the Irish killing them selves off over which form of christianity they are
you have the pope declaring himself above the kings of europe,,,the sun goes around the earth
they would kill over that remember...galileo...the navigators amoungst the norse would have feared that for sure
you have crusades
etc

the church as are many power structures are power mad for profit slaughter machines! ( at times)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WhoKnows100

What are you even ranting about? I'm assuming from your post that you are a christian. There is human sacrifice in the bible! There are instances of god demanding human sacrifice of sinners, enemies, children, etc. In ancient Norse religions there is only one documented instance of human sacrifice and most scholars contend that isn't even what is portrayed. How in the hell is that "indoctrination" against christianity?!? Indoctrination is used to keep people from thinking for themselves. Hardly what is happening with that article.
They also state that it's their belief due to the apparent deliberate nature of the temples dismantling and burying, that it was done to protect it from destruction by christians. If I were to choose between someone not at the site and having the typical knee-jerk christian reaction, versus the word of someone actually working the site, I'll take the word of the person at the site. And if you're insinuating that christians didn't go "marauding" through Norway then you need to go do some reading. It was pretty decently documented at the time by numerous people from the Pope to English kings, to Norse kings, to the marauding christians themselves.
Christianity is also a religion. A religion where people have been fooled into a great many things, including human sacrifice.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
It's scary how the deliberate use of terms to influence or reinforce indoctrination against Christianity is swallowed up by the masses. There is zero evidence that this site was buried to "protect it" from the "marauding Christians"

A few television shows and films glorifying these ancient pagan "gods" and people gobble it up as truth. Never once are you informed of the human sacrifices that accompanied these different ancient religions because if it was, it couldn't be sold so easily. Instead, it must be glorified and dressed up as the true religion - no matter if it's Babylonian, Mayan, Norse, Extraterrestrial or whatever.

It was a religion. A religion where people were fooled into thinking that sacrificing humans appeased their "gods".

Unfortuneatly you are correct. The increase in Christian bashing is on the rise bigtime. It is perpetrated by the Marxists believers of the old USSR.
Remember how they stopped (by force) the practice of all organized religon in old Russia.
Well, except the worship of "The State"
They are doing this world wide today via the media and any means they can. Christianity and Communism are like oil and water.
Most Christians are not aware of where these attacks are comming from.
Talk to modern Russians. They will tell you as much.
Hell they are the very ones that invaded Norway last. LOL
edit on 18-3-2012 by longjohnbritches because: dislexia

edit on 18-3-2012 by longjohnbritches because: same

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I doubt that there are any innocent power stuctures
then as today death was a business
and business was good

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join