It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Roman Catholics Oppose Freemasonry

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Alternative Title: The Gravity of Symbolism

Archdiocese of Los Angeles (The Angels)

May a Roman Catholic join a Masonic lodge?

In response to an inquiry from the Masonic Service Bureau of Los Angeles, Father Thomas C. Anslow, CM, then Vicar for Canonical Services of this Archdiocese, wrote a letter dated September 15, 2000, in which he offered a personal opinion that it was probably lawful for a Catholic to join a Masonic lodge in the United States. As a result of further inquiries, Father Anslow retracted this opinion in a new letter dated February 12, 2002, which was supposed to replace the first letter wherever it may have been posted.

The full text of the second letter, which summarizes the Church's official position that it is not lawful for a Catholic to join a Masonic lodge, is as follows:

12 February 2002

Mr. David R. Patterson
Executive Secretary
Masonic Service Bureau of Los Angeles
3807 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1120
Los Angeles, CA 90010‑3188

Dear Mr. Patterson,

On 15 September 2000 I wrote you a letter in which I gave my opinion in answer to the question you had asked, "whether a practicing Catholic may join a Masonic lodge." As you know, I gave a qualified affirmative reply ("at least for Catholics in the United States, I believe the answer is probably yes"). My qualification was based on two points, uncertainty about the beliefs and teachings of Freemasonry, especially as this may vary locally, and uncertainty about the interpretation and application of the statement issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith on 26 November 1983. I concluded that the historical development of the Church's law was away from a blanket prohibition to a case‑by‑case assessment of what constitutes an association forbidden to Catholics.

As a result of my letter having been posted on several Masonic websites and of various inquiries this generated, it has come to my attention that my analysis was faulty, and accordingly I need to retract my opinion. I realize this will create much consternation, and I apologize for that. Please let me explain.

In early 1985 the Congregation mentioned above published an explanation of its position as given in the November 1983 statement. The explanation can be found in the English edition of the Vatican's official newspaper, L 'Osservatore Romano (11 March 1985, page 2) under the title "Irreconcilability between Christian faith and Freemasonry: Reflections a year after declaration of Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith."

The key point in the argument is that the system of symbols common to Freemasons around the world (centering on the Architect of the Universe and given added weight by the rule of secrecy) tends to foster a "supraconfessional humanitarian" way of conceiving the divine that neutralizes or replaces the faith dimension of our relationship with God. Even though given lodges may abstain from endorsing any particular position, including one that considers religious faith to be a matter of indifference (i.e., nothing more than a matter of personal preference), the contemporary world's social atmosphere of moral and religious relativism creates a climate in which a merely humanitarian symbol system works to undermine the religious faith by which we receive God's revelation.

It was for this reason that the Congregation declared that local church authorities are not competent to give a judgment on the nature of Masonic associations, and has reserved to itself the right to make any such pronouncements. Because of the serious danger posed to individual Catholics by the subtle but real influence of symbols described above, the Congregation declared that it would be objectively a grave sin for a Catholic to join a Masonic lodge. The prohibition from receiving Holy Communion is meant to highlight the gravity of the situation.

Let me add that the Congregation's explanation explicitly acknowledges "the efforts made by those who, with the due authorization of this Congregation, have sought to establish a dialogue with representatives of Freemasonry." I hope that this dialogue continues and that it will serve to clarity the philosophical, theological and anthropological principles by which we understand our roles in human society.

I regret that my earlier letter has undoubtedly led people to misunderstand the concern behind the official statement of the Church's position regarding membership in Masonic societies. I ask that my letter of 15 September 2000 be removed from all websites and be replaced with this new letter.

Sincerely,

(Signed) Rev. Thomas C. Anslow, CM., J.C.L.
Vicar for Canonical Services

Reiterate:

The key point in the argument is that the SYSTEM OF SYMBOLS COMMON TO FREEMASONS AROUND THE WORLD (centering on the Architect of the Universe and given added weight by the rule of secrecy) tends to foster a "supraconfessional humanitarian" way of conceiving the divine that neutralizes or replaces the faith dimension of our relationship with God.

"Because of the serious danger posed to individual Catholics by the SUBTLE BUT REAL INFLUENCES OF SYMBOLS described above, the Congregation declared that it would be objectively a grave sin for a Catholic to join a Masonic lodge. The prohibition from receiving Holy Communion is meant to highlight the gravity of the situation."

See thread by 1nOne on "Star and Crescent Moon: Symbol of Satan"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

To make his point, Reverend Anslow uses the word "grave" several times in various forms:

grave: see Latin "gravis": heavy, weighty

gravity: c.1500, "weight, dignity, seriousness," from M.Fr. gravité "seriousness, thoughtfulness," and directly from L. gravitatem (nom. gravitas) "weight, heaviness, pressure," from gravis "heavy" (see grave (adj.)). The scientific sense of "force that gives weight to objects" first recorded 1640s. The classical Latin verb was gravare "to make heavy, burden, oppress, aggravate." Online Etymology Dictionary

The oppressor: Name of Satan

Gravitational pull is effected through the interaction of the Earth (Pan) and the moon (Luna).
It is what binds us to this world.

Wikipedia:

Pan: (Greek mythology) Greek god of nature, often visualized as half goat and half man playing pipes.
Garden of Eden. Panic.
Pandemonium: Coined by John Milton in "Paradise Lost," Pandæmonium, from Ancient Greek πᾶν (pan, “all”) (equivalent to English pan-) + Late Latin daemonium (“evil spirit, demon”), from Ancient Greek δαίμων (daimōn, “demon”). At Pandæmonium, the high Capitol Of Satan and his Peers.

This world is Satan's domain. We are all trapped in a "living hell".
Satan's deceivers work ("good deeds") to keep us Earth-bound.
Jesus came to free us from living under Sin (original name of the Moon, name of Satan).

edit on 17-3-2012 by 1nOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 1nOne

The only reason the Roman Catholic Church opposes or sides with ANYTHING is to make noise. They do now want to be forgotten even though they are obsolete.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Personally, i do not believe in the catholic church, i was raised catholic and converted to christianity. Catholics also worship pagan gods,and the list go so on from the moment time began therefore its a wolf in sheep clothing, the conclusion freemasonry is a satanic occult is a no brainer, in order to be a member you have to basically mimic your death, and after that practice rituals and sacrifices to entities and many other practices. Like i said is a no brainer. The catholic church has some right points though.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeldHostage14
The catholic church has some right points though.

The mystery of the "Holy Roman Catholic Empire" was their agenda.
They were trying to unify the entire white race under the Catholic Banner of Christendom.
Their mission was let the kingdoms govern themselves, but at the same time to be Catholic in religion.
They were trying to establish the entire "Europe" as single interconnected nation...
The north, the south, the east, the west, and the central...
They also sought to strengthen that bond by allowing the royal families to enter into marriages that produced heirs to the marshalled kingdoms.
This agenda has long since been bereft... But maybe now you know it was more than a belief in Christ.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinocchio

Entirely true. Its always been a fight for power from the freemasons to roman catholics. With them its not what God says its what the pope says and i remember watching some old documentary on symbolism on the catholic church also pertaining to the occult

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Haha so basically the catholic church is saying if you seek God in a way that we don't like, you can't hang out with us any more. Haha I'm so glad I'm no longer catholic.

This kind of religious zealotry is the reason why the organized religions of the planet will ruin everything. Logic and acceptance is thrown to the wind because fundamentalism rules the day. GOD HELP RELIGIOUS PEOPLE!

Wouldn't the world revolve much more smoothly if organizations like the catholic church would just let people do as the will. Never mind, doing as you will is the work of the devil, and so on.
acceptance and tolerance are strictly forbidden, even though the teachings of Jesus of Nazereth can be summed up by teaching humans, all humans, to love each other. Silly Christians.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1nOne
Alternative Title: The Gravity of Symbolism

The key point in the argument is that the system of symbols common to Freemasons around the world (centering on the Architect of the Universe and given added weight by the rule of secrecy) tends to foster a "supraconfessional humanitarian" way of conceiving the divine that neutralizes or replaces the faith dimension of our relationship with God.

I'm quite wary of any religious system that identifies as a major problem with something that it undermines its authority. (My own church has done this, and is not excepted.)

His point is also completely incorrect. Faith in God is the first lesson imparted in Freemasonry's First Degree.

in order to be a member you have to basically mimic your death

That's an odd complaint from a Christian:

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live...

and after that practice rituals and sacrifices to entities

This is infinitely more applicable to communion than anyyhing in Freemasonry. Actually, I can't think of any corresponding activity in Freemasonry.
edit on 17-3-2012 by OnTheLevel213 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

i dont recall us doing this.
and for communion we sacrifice humans to please our deity.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OnTheLevel213

"His point is also completely incorrect. Faith in God is the first lesson imparted in Freemasonry's First Degree."

His "point" is incorrect, say you? I say yours is quite pointless, wouldn't you agree?

Faith in God? Enlighten us: do Masons place the Christian bible on their altar next to (read: equal to) other non-Christian religious texts? Do Freemasons not swear on the Bible oaths of secrecy and pledge allegiance to humanity? Have Freemasons not added the deities of Heliopolis (Baalbek) to their own editions of the Christian bible? Is the cornerstone of your fraternity not in the founding of the Temple of Solomon?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The Roman Catholic Church has long formally prohibited Catholics from joining Masonic organizations.

Part of the reason why the Church opposes Masonry is theological. Specifically, the Church believes in the divinity of Christ, and Freemasonry is a brotherhood of men of all monotheistic faiths, as long as the Mason believes in a Supreme Being. The Church finds Masonry's "acceptance of all monotheistic faiths" as contradictory to the Church's belief that "outside of the Church there is no salvation".

The Church has long believed that Freemasonry was bent on the destruction of the Church from within. Conspiracy theories abound. Many Popes felt threatened by Masonic organizations, rightly or wrongly. The Alta Vendita, a document written by the Italian Carbonari, a secret revolutionary organization, allegedly outlined a plot to destroy the Church. Somehow, the Carbonari was associated with Masonry.

Really, this is a power struggle and a political struggle. The Vatican has long attempted and assumed the figurehead of the supreme temporal and spiritual authority in the world, and Freemasonry poses a threat to this authority by its democratic values, and left-leaning tendencies towards liberty, equality, public education for all, etc.

Masonry is really a fraternity whose symbolism, rituals, and belief system all are tied around Solomon's Temple. There is quite a bit of biblical history in its rituals.

Strangely enough, many cardinals have supposedly been Freemasons, and allegations that Freemasons have infiltrated the Church, especially as part of Vatican II and the radical changes brought on by Vatican II, are rampant, especially among traditional and conservative Catholics.

Today, most people would view Masonry as a harmless fraternity of older men. The only conspiracy would be related to political control. The Church wants it, and feels threatened by Masonry.

Interestingly enough, Masonry is singled out as an institution that Catholics are forbidden to join, but other fraternal and social organizations are given a deaf ear. Apparently, you can belong to the Kiwanis, the Elks, the Moose, the Rotary, etc., all of which have Masonic elements, and not be in conflict with the Church. But Masons are forbidden.

The Church might want to update its list of fraternal enemies.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

CookieMonster09 wrote: "The Church finds Masonry's "acceptance of all monotheistic faiths" as contradictory to the Church's belief that "outside of the Church there is no salvation"."

Freemasons are virulently opposed to:

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:6

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

His "point" is incorrect, say you? I say yours is quite pointless, wouldn't you agree?

I'm pointing out that what he said is wrong. Unless what he said is pointless, I don't see how my reply to it could be.

Faith in God? Enlighten us: do Masons place the Christian bible on their altar next to (read: equal to) other non-Christian religious texts?

Except for the parenthetical, yes; when a non-Christian so desires, his sacred text will be placed next to the Bible. The parenthetical, however, is your own interpretation. No qualitative judgement on any religion is made by placing their sacred texts next to one another; a man looks on the altar and sees his own sacred text. By this logic, a bookstore prices two books equally because it places them together in a display.

Do Freemasons not swear on the Bible oaths of secrecy

Yes, and this is another debate.

and pledge allegiance to humanity?

Absolutely not.

Have Freemasons not added the deities of Heliopolis (Baalbek) to their own editions of the Christian bible?

Depends on how intellectually honest you'd like to be. If pictures of the deities of other religions appearing in reference sections of an edition of the Bible count as "adding deities" to the Bible, then yes. If you're asking whether a single letter of the Authorized King James Version is changed, then the answer is absolutely not.

Is the cornerstone of your fraternity not in the founding of the Temple of Solomon?

Yes. No addition to the Bible is necessary for that.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

i dont recall us doing this.

I don't either. Probably due to the complete lack of any connection between Skull and Bones and Freemasonry.

and for communion we don't sacrifice humans to please our deity.

I'm assuming that's what you meant and will retract if I'm wrong.

At an almost profanely basic level (as a Christian, I assure you that my language concerning the Sacrament is for explanatory purposes only) communion is ritual cannibalism. We honor the sacrifice of Jesus Christ by consuming his flesh and blood, to become one with our Lord. I freely admit the connection is tenuous, but it's more than anything you can connect to Freemasonry.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Freemasons are virulently opposed to:

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
John 14:6

Some Freemasons disagree. Those of a Christian persuasion, and a conservative view of Christianity, do not. The Christian Freemason is at no point required to forego any belief that any non-Christian, including the man sitting next to him in the lodge, will be denied Heaven should he fail to accept the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. He simply must conclude that fellowship can be had with that man, and good done with him, regardless of any contrast in theology.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nOne

It's the same reason that republicans oppose democrats
Or why bloods oppose crips

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
In my imagination... the Catholics won't accept Freemasons simply because the Order of the Free and Accepted Masons instills enlightenment through craft(s) and tool(s)... The Catholics instill the belief that enlightenment come from acceptance of Christ and his "Word Made Flesh" doctrine...

I am Roman Catholic by Tradition... Not by Faith! It was handed down to me by my Grand Folk.
However, the ceremony of enlightenment is only achieved by sacraments... such as baptism... communion... confirmation... marriage... deconate... etc... It is the learnn as you go along rite.

So... why is it necessary to learn from craft and tool? Dunno...
But I find the same in either...

EXAMPLE-

FREEMASON:
Trestle = Trust All
Gavel = Gave All
Trowel = Through All
Level = Leave All
Chisel = Chose All
Etc...
You can find these revelations becoming the word made flesh...
Bear in mind that these mysteries are sooooooo much easier said than done.

CATHOLIC:
Baptism = Alchemical symbol of WATER
Communion = Alchemical symbol of SULFUR (Not wafer eating and wine drinking... But instead the literal torment of the Christ)
Confirmation = Alchemical symbol of SALT (The salt of the earth... Risen!)
Marriage = Alchemical symbol of MERCURY
You can find these in the Freemasonic "Chamber of Reflection"

Back and forth the same ol...

So... long story short the Catholics don't accept it because the tool(s) and craft(s) ministry is heresy in their eyes.
Freemason use craft and tool...
Church uses Blood and flesh...

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I AM PINOCCHIO! Do Not Believe In My Shenanigans! Honestly!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nOne

To what heights are the Masons able to edify us concerning their perspective on fundamental evil?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by 1nOne

I'm not sure I totally understand the question, but I'll do the best I can:

Freemasons believe wholeheartedly in a moral law and Lawgiver. As such, a belief in good and evil are necessarily Masonic.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

reply to post by 1nOne

To what heights are the Masons able to edify us concerning their perspective on fundamental evil?

To the "32nd Degree!"
It is commonly known in child's play as "Bloody Mary"
It is introduced to children as a game in which you 1) "Stand Alone!" 2) "Shrouded In Darkness!" 3) "Before A Mirror!" 4) "Chanting 3 Times!"

In the Surreal World, as an adult...
1) You are the "Christ"
2) You Stand Alone! Against [a] Mighty Foe(s)...
3) You are left in Dark (Mental State Of Uncertainty) to find out on your own if love is true!
4) It is called the Chamber of Reflection!
5) Chant... In The Name Of The Father! And Of The Son! And Of The Holy Spirit! Amen!
6) All for a woman!

BTW: If you haven't guessed by now... Bloody Mary is "Mother Mary" & "Mary Magdaline"

Scary game to play...
You should consider well all the games children are instructed to learn and play. Therein found is the heirarchy of evil.

The best game to teach a child is "Never Let The Water Run!"

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OnTheLevel213

Does Freemasonry recognize the existence of the devil and his servants; the actual presence of spiritual wolves, hell-bent on preventing the flock from the rightful reunion with the Heavenly Father by the transformative power of accepting Christ as our Saviour?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join