It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOE spending big bucks to train firefighters how to not kill themselves at a Volt crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This is good news for the couple of dozen people who ran out and bought one of these cars; the DOE is spending $4.4 million dollars to train first responders to not electrocute themselves when responding to Volt accidents.

Last year, the National Fire Protection Agency started a program of state level trainings focusing on how first responders can safely deal with the new problems posed by the Chevy Volt and other cars of similar design. The NFPA in a press release estimates that over 10,000 first responders have taken at least some training in dealing with the dangers of cars like the Volt.

The General Motors Service Technical College provides technical materials to first responders around the country. Just this week, their publication on the Volt was cited by a Baltimore County, Maryland Fire Service Special Interest Bulletin. After a bizarre paragraph extolling the virtues of the car itself, the bulletin gets down to the business of informing fire fighters of how to not kill themselves trying to rescue a crash victim.

It states:

“There is a yellow First Responder cable “cut” tag wrapped around the low volt positive battery cable behind the fuse panel door, located on the left side of the rear compartment (see diagram on next page). This cable should be cut first to disable the vehicle safely before beginning any extrication. The cable should be cut on both sides of the label to ensure the cut cable ends do not inadvertently touch and re-energize the vehicle.”

Townhall.com

I wonder which is scarier; being in an accident while driving one of those things or being the guy who has to rescue someone trapped inside the vehicle.

edit on 3/17/12 by FortAnthem because:
___________ extra DIV

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have an easier way to save those lives in the car and those extracting them, while saving 4.4million dollars! DONT MAKE THE CAR!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Presumably, this training could be extended to any and all electric cars, so given the trend for more and more vehicle with an electric drive system, this makes sense.

Surely the fire-fighters and the like undergo all sorts of training to deal with frequent and not so frequent situations, some of which they may only come across once in their careers. Would you deem then that training such people to be ready for an eventuality that might not happen is better than sending them in unprepared should it actually happen.

For example, in the UK, our fire-fighters (and others) regularly train for situations ranging from the average house fire to toxic chemical spills all the way up to afull NBC drill. Chemical spills are rare and NBC situations even more so. We still train our chaps and chappettes to be ready though..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It appears
that if I name my cat Volt,
and the fire department responded
to a tree, and my cat,
they would be sending out a ladder,
and Hazmat.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
As a firefighter people may think I should have an opinion on this. But, really, I dunno. I think firefighters have enough to be processing on any fire scene or emergency scene. Firefighters have to go through a lot of training as it is, and believe me there is a lot to know. I was a firefighter in the usaf from 98 to 09, and when stateside I spent most of those years as Station Captain at Nellis Air Force Base Fire Department, either at the main station or at one of the three outlining stations.

My opinion? Most of these fires took place well after the initial cause or collision, it looks like. And 4.4 million dollars may seem like a lot of money, but materials for dispersing information amongst all the firefighters nation wide and/or worldwide (NFPA Standards are law in over 100 countries).

Why should the burden fall upon the firefighters? Make a safer product!

Some history on the Chevy Volt fires...

edit on 17-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Yep your tax dollars are being spent to train Fire Fighters not to use water when putting out a fire on a car that uses electricity.

How many billions are going to be wasted on that POS ?

A volt runs into another automobile that uses gas one spark from the batteries and BOOOOM!.

edit on 17-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The fact that we spend any money at all to make automobiles "safer" just fascinates me. Twisted metal, conflagration, electrocution. Pick your poison?

Is 65mph fast enough for you? How about 80??

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is good, I am an ex rescue worker and we always trained for new technology, nothing unusual about it. There have been hybrids for years with the same risks as well as hydraulics in the bumper, hardened metal that can break tools with devastating results etc. I once sheared a pin, a large one on the jaws, amazing! Like I said, this is normal and nothing wrong with the technology, the same people deal everyday with down high power lines, homes on fire and so forth.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HeldHostage14

All technology goes through improvements. We did not get to the moon without a few people dying.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
c'mon, really? ...is this such a big deal? they are getting training for christ's sake. this happens all the time to first responders....they get trained for new situations that they may encounter....DUH!!!! there are so many more pressing issues, that this has to get a 5-star (yawn) from me. grow up people

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Electric cars are zhe devil, zhe devil I say.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Its a shame the mods cut out the last line I quoted from the article. After saying that it was necessary to cut the cables before extricating people from the car, it goes on to say:

General Motors also warns that “cutting these cables can result in serious injury or death.”

You would think they could come up with better engineering controls than that, like including a power disconnect where it would be easily accessible or providing areas with twist-lock plugs to disconnect the cables in strategic locations around the vehicle so rescuers can make it safe before proceeding without risking their lives by cutting an energized cable.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If and when an EMP ever hits i can hear someone going now.

Damn electric cars was about the most stupid idea ever of course gas will be banned.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Reply to post by HeldHostage14

That's right. Let's shoot down any idea that deals with green energy, if that doesn't work hire someone to sabotage any inventions that might get us off of oil. Amazing how much we advance when a TV is concerned, but God forbid we make a car that helps lower fuel consumption. Or cure another disease. Electric cars have been around 40+ years, yet no one questions why we still use ancient out-dated technology in today's cars. Newsflash: TPTB do not want Volts or similiar cars running around. So believe the lies condemning any device that would slightly help Earth, and considered part of the green movement. BTW a neighbor has a Volt. No problem whatsoever. Good riding car too.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Reply to post by neo96

So before the Volt, since it is apparently the ONLY electric car ever made....no cars burst into flames in collisions? Yes yes yes the Chevy Volt is the most dangerous car ever made, never has a product in the history of production ever had kinks to work out. Let's ban everything designed to help us get off foreign oil, drop gas prices and help the environment. We are supposed to rip apart the planet in order to survive. It's not like man ever lived and survived on what the Earth provided, we need to destroy so we can create. The oil companies must be paying the shills OT.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeldHostage14
I have an easier way to save those lives in the car and those extracting them, while saving 4.4million dollars! DONT MAKE THE CAR!

Guess we should stop making cars that run on gas too...because those blow up and start on fire.

I'm sorry...but this argument is retarded.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
If and when an EMP ever hits i can hear someone going now.

Damn electric cars was about the most stupid idea ever of course gas will be banned.

If an EMP hits...most cars will stop running...not just electric cars.

I don't understand this hate against electric cars....do you honestly love oil that much?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This new technology is frightening and unfamiliar and not free... I just cant handle it. I long for a return the safety of vehicles powered by liquid explosives produced by nations we are are on the brink of war with.

I always ask myself why people bother to tell me anything in a society where so many important things are kept from me, and in this case as most, it seems to be because its in the interest of someone with money to make people afraid of completing a step forward that's already been paid and worked for.

I choose to take a different message though. I can disable a volt with only a pocket knife and not even get gasoline on me

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Older cars will work with minor/cheap work can't say the same for cars that cost 500k to produce like the volt.

Gas guzzlers are what 100 years old?

Not going to replace them over nite or be cost effective about it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DoNotForgetMe

Accordingly to the current fearless leader in the oval office we aren't dependent on foreign oil if fact we are exporting ours.

Oil is the glue that holds the worlds econmies that can't be replaced over nite and wasting tax dollars on that endeavor should be footed by the private sector not Government via taxation and blowing that cash hand over fist.
edit on 18-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join