It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planetary Alignments Causing Earthquakes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I've already posted this link in a different thread but I think it deserves a thread of its own.

This is a study done by students from the Department of Telecommunications Science and Technology, in the University of Peloponnese, Tripoli, Greece.

They've built a solar system simulator that allows them to draw lines between planetary alignments and major earthquakes above 7.0 Richter between the years of 2004-2011.

There is a table of all this information and here is the conclusion:

"We have developed a solar system simulator suitable for earthquake research. The simulator is
allows the position of the planets on their orbits for any selected date. The system allows for
prediction of future planetary alignments as well as previous ones. We have carried out a research
and showed that from 2004 only 7 of the 109 earthquakes of magnitude >7R were not accompanied
by a planetary alignment"

Link

I thought this was very exciting research. From what I understand, the alignments did not form before the earthquakes, they formed within a day or so AFTER the earthquakes. Which means that the earthquakes took place before the alignment? I'd appreciate it if anyone could study the paper a little bit and post something that would go against their very provable theory.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I have a question. Has anyone thought to look at the real record breaker quakes like Alaska (1964) and Chile (1960) from the 20th and New Madrid from the 19th centuries? If the same alignment pattern doesn't exist when those ones popped and basically blew the curve for what we know of quakes..at least with Chile and the triple-whammy nature of New Madrid.... then I'd be inclined to say it's coincidence rather than any cause/effect thing.

On the other hand.....if those other 3 events had similar or even CLOSE to similar things happening, I'd say we're on to something. The Stellar models can move backward as far as anyone wants as well as forward, right? Any Astronomy types around the check dates and really know what the data is/isn't indicating?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We wouldn't know unless they posted this script online for us to use freely.

I'm hoping someone's Google skills who are better than mine can find it for me

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What these students would need to show is that these "alignments" are more than correlations. Assuming that a non-trivial definition of alignment could be established. For example, I could show that for every day that I drink a ginger ale, a major earthquake occurs. Of course, no one would believe that the mere correlation of my ginger ale drinking with earthquakes actually caused the earthquakes to occur. There are probably thousands of correlations that could be shown to occur with earthquakes. That is why scientists perform mutlivariate regression to show what events are more likely to have a causative and not correlative relationship.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I did something like this a few months back. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nusnus
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

We wouldn't know unless they posted this script online for us to use freely.

I'm hoping someone's Google skills who are better than mine can find it for me

The Jet Propulsion Lab has the simulator software online to plot whatever known object in space anyone wants to see. It's what everyone was using for Elenin and the others...I just have no time to get into it myself and there are plenty more qualified people than I. That would be where the tools are though and it's all definitely public and open access to anyone. Time consuming...but open access.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
oh please Stop with the BS. Last time there was a major planetary line up which was back in may 2000 people said exactly the same thing. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn was more or less positioned in a line with the Sun. Additionally, the Moon was almost lined up between the Earth and Sun. People said the World would end they would be Earthquakes and more dire predictions and the day came and went without as much as a hiccup...

Link

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by minor007
oh please Stop with the BS. Last time there was a major planetary line up which was back in may 2000 people said exactly the same thing. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn was more or less positioned in a line with the Sun. Additionally, the Moon was almost lined up between the Earth and Sun. People said the World would end they would be Earthquakes and more dire predictions and the day came and went without as much as a hiccup...

Link

Nice strawman....

Rather than take a single example and turn it into a dismissal of what a group of actual scientists have worked on, try reading the paper first.

All but SEVEN quakes greater than 7 magnitude in a 5 year period couldn't be correlated to an alignment of some kind. They are not claiming that ALL quakes are caused by an alignment, but they show extremely strong correlative evidence demonstrating that there is a strong connection between the two.

Coincidence would be ONLY SEVEN quakes over a 5 year period.... not all BUT seven.

Statistically, this is extremely significant.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Then they should give the dates and times of the next 20.

Ask them for those.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Something worth mentioning as well....

According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 16 major earthquakes in any given year, which includes 15 earthquakes in the magnitude 7 range and one earthquake magnitude 8.0 or greater. In the past 38 years, from 1973 through 2011, our records show that we have exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes only 8 times, in 1976, 1990, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

Source

I think the last 3 years are significant and worth paying attention to, especially given that in the OPs source, they are the years of the highest number of planetary alignments.

~Namaste

new topics

top topics

join