It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Serviceman resposible for Afgan Massacre Named

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

US Serviceman resposible for afgan Massacre Named

www.bbc.co.uk

The US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians in a massacre that has undermined relations with Kabul has been named as Staff Sgt Robert Bales.

Senior US officials told the BBC the name of the suspect as he was heading back to the US to face charges.

He has now arrived at a military detention centre in Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, after being flown from Kuwait, the US Army said.

He will be held in solitary confinement pending charges, the Army added.

Sgt Bales' lawyer, John Henry Browne, said he had been injured twice while serving in Iraq.

Mr Browne also said the accused,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This has just been reported on the UK news. I wonder what will come of this, is it a war crime or is it a civilian crime?

There are so many questions that need answering from this. Most of all thought has to be why did he do what he did, what was the cause.

According to the news report, he didnt want to go to Afganistan and wanted to stay at home to spend time with his family. One of the problems could bethe amount of time at the troops are serving in Afganistan, I understand the standard tour for a US service person is 12 monhts. Way too long in my opinion.

Or was it just a case of someone with a gun going postal that just happened to be in a war zone and had the means to do it. Whatever it is though the fallout from this could be huge

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-3-2012 by dragonsrreal because: Typo and addition

edit on 17-3-2012 by dragonsrreal because: Typo

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

It is a war crime but because the killer is an American, has a routinely reported brain injury and a great service record, he will either get a medical discharge or 1 year prison and a dishonorable discharge.
edit on 17-3-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: No ReAsOn GiVeN

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

It is a war crime but because the killer is an American, has a routinely reported brain injury and a great service record. He will either get a medical discharge or 1 year prison and a dishonorable discharge.

He deserves the death penalty.
edit on 3/17/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
what about the other dozen drunks that were with him that helped him?

no one deserves the death penalty.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I guess he was the one that drew the short straw and gets to take the fall? Bad luck for that guy.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
America; bastion of justice and freedom !

He should be tried for warcrime and the whole incident thuroughly investigated to rat out his accomplaces but I would be pretty shocked if that actually happened.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It always amazes me when people are so quick to jump on the "death penalty for american soldiers" band-wagon, but when americans are killed over a book burning people just shrug their shoulders like "eh, those crazy muslims again."

It's tragic what happened, but no one here knows all the facts so we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
It always amazes me when people are so quick to jump on the "death penalty for american soldiers" band-wagon, but when americans are killed over a book burning people just shrug their shoulders like "eh, those crazy muslims again."

It's tragic what happened, but no one here knows all the facts so we shouldn't be so quick to judge.

The killer confessed and it is a war crime anyway you slice it. If the soldier is hanged, then at the gallows Dubya Bush and the dual Israeli passport carrying Neocons should be swinging with him.

As for the Qur'an burning, Americans will react in exactly the same if the Bible was desecrated.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

Go to the bible belt, and burn some bibles. I tripledog dare ya.
Also, we wouldn't be in harms way, and burning korans if we were not taking part in empire building.
This dude "supposedly" killed a bunch of civillians on his own accord, and got hauled away to stand trial at home. Boohoo.
edit on Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:11:33 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

Would be nice wouldn't it? We need to start setting up guillotines and gallows in DC, and use them when needed.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The guy snapped and for that he should pay the price , as far as others being involved its just Taliban propaganda . The Taliban has set off car bombs killing dozens of men woman and children at a time and they are looked upon as heros and not the psychos trying to turn the clock back to the time of Mohammed except for weapons that is .

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

TextAs for the Qur'an burning, Americans will react in exactly the same if the Bible was desecrated.

That's a bold face lie , when have you ever heard of a Christian killing innocent people because the bible was torched , the fanatics over their Koran are hypocrites to the nth degree.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

Put your money where your mouth is. Go burn some bibles in the bible belt.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

TextAs for the Qur'an burning, Americans will react in exactly the same if the Bible was desecrated.

That's a bold face lie , when have you ever heard of a Christian killing innocent people because the bible was torched , the fanatics over their Koran are hypocrites to the nth degree.

And you are rude. Try reading my comment again.

If the US was in the same position as Afghanistan and an occupying power desecrated the bible amongst all the other indignities, Americans will do the same.

Do not pretend the US is a peaceful and Christian country. It is violent society and as a nation belligerent.
edit on 17-3-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: No ReAsOn GiVeN

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok

The guy snapped and for that he should pay the price , as far as others being involved its just Taliban propaganda . The Taliban has set off car bombs killing dozens of men woman and children at a time and they are looked upon as heros and not the psychos trying to turn the clock back to the time of Mohammed except for weapons that is .

Taliban propaganda?

I thought it was innocent eye witnesses to the massacre?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

is it a war crime or is it a civilian crime?

It cannot be a war crime as the US thinks it is above prosecution for war crimes..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

LOL

During the second world war we had catholic killing catholic, baptist killing baptist, lutherian killing lutherian, seventh day eventist killing seventh day eventist... Infact, we had whiteheath baptist killing stebbe Straße pentecostals ...

Today we kill each other in our own street and homes

People who identify themselves as "christian"..

In the end we are humans

Each brainwashed and driven by our personal bigotry that we dress up with religion or whatever....

In this case we have a soldier who has lost the plot in theatre.. Surprised it has not happened more.. I suspect constant media attentian is to be thanked for that...

Truth is though.. Each tour strips your humanity away.. To use a line from a film; "every person I kill takes me further away from home"... War dehumanises us.. Soldiers are not robots but people... After many tours of duty and many contacts and losing friends, along with sleep deprivation, food deprivation, having to be constantly focused like a laser.. Then the killing and that what does to a man...

Do not be surprised by this... Just be thankful it has not happened more times..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

The guy snapped and for that he should pay the price , as far as others being involved its just Taliban propaganda

I would not be so fast to draw that conclusion. The afgan government wants an inquiry as it thinks there were more
soliders involved and civilians on the ground witnessed more soldiers involved..

Up to 20 US troops behind Kandahar bloodbath - Afghan probe
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

That's a bold face lie , when have you ever heard of a Christian killing innocent people because the bible was torched

Bare faced lie.. My ass. Go back a few hundred years and the church would have executed a common man if he was caught with a bible..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join