It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Smoking be less deadly? Yes-No

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I started smoking at 13, became addicted at 14, and am now 27!
I gave up factory made cigarettes between ages 15 & 17 (formerly Marlboro Red was my Risk of choice!) for Golden Virginia, mostly because it’s cheaper, but in the end; I much preferred it. So I’ve done some research…

Should Cigarettes Be Less Harmful?
Cigarette manufacturers consciously make, tobacco more deadly. “Paid up” politicians like Britain’s (In)justice Secretary, Kenneth Clarke www.ash.org.uk... would probably say this is a “civil liberty”. I would agree it’s his government “civil liberty” of not protecting us –the people!

Cigarette Problem 1.
Loads of toxic chemicals are artificially added to factory made cigarettes….

A significant amount of the shredded brown innards of most modern cigarettes is a paper product called "reconstituted tobacco" or "homogenized sheet tobacco," which is made from a pulp of mashed tobacco stems and other parts of the tobacco leaf that would otherwise go to waste. Manufacturers spray and impregnate reconstituted tobacco paper with nicotine and other substances lost during the process, along with as many as 600 chemical additives. These include several that may come as a surprise, such as ammonia, which aids in the delivery of nicotine, and chocolate, which masks the bitter taste of tobacco. Finally, the 'recon' is sliced to resemble shredded leaf tobacco. www.pbs.org...

Quality Control Absence 2…

In addition, like the tobacco, the cigarette paper contains a host of chemicals, among them titanium oxide, which accelerates and maintains burning so the cigarette does not go out and the smoke is delivered evenly with each puff. These chemicals have contributed to many cigarette-caused fires, a problem that some manufacturers have not addressed until recently. www.pbs.org...

Problem 3…
Cigarette Filters: Why Aren’t they Biodegradable? It can take up to 15 years for them to decay

In the 2006 International Coastal Cleanup, the number of individual cigarettes and cigarette butts collected amounted to 24.7% of the total number of garbage items collected, over twice as many items as any other category. en.wikipedia.org...

Why can’t I go down the supermarket and buy an apple with 600 chemicals added to it? Or can I?

Possible 4…
Are Fire Safe Cigarettes Good For the Smokers Health?
All good if the cigarette burns safer, but surely it’s also burning at lower temperatures which is bound to mean the smoke produced from the burning cigarette will be more hazardous ?

A fire-safe cigarette has a reduced propensity to burn when left unattended. The most common fire-safe technology used by cigarette manufacturers is to wrap cigarettes with two or three thin bands of less-porous paper that act as “speed bumps” to slow down a burning cigarette. If a fire-safe cigarette is left unattended, the burning tobacco will reach one of these speed bumps and self-extinguish.
www.nfpa.org.../For%20consumers/Causes/Smoking/Coalition%20for%20Fire-Safe%20Cigarettes/ About%20fire-safe%20cigarettes

Why We Don’t Already Have Less Harmful Tobacco: Answer: It’s the “Regime Politics” of Political Correctness…

The safe cigarette has been stymied by the very groups who are most concerned about the health effects of smoking: antitobacco groups and public health officials. The cigarette industry's efforts to market safer cigarettes have been met with fierce opposition by antitobacco activists, who want to see such products labeled as nicotine delivery devices and subjected to government regulations. Although the opposition of health groups to a safe cigarette would seem contradictory, it is borne out of a deep mistrust of the cigarette companies, whose strategy of denial over the years has created a credibility gap with the public health community. www.pbs.org...

The above reminds me of how the green groups won’t side with electricity generators over the safest version of nuclear technology.

What I’ve Done…
6 months ago I switched to American Spirit because it is 100% chemical additive free (golden Virginia contains fungicides so it’s toxic enough not rot under its own dampness). AS is hard to roll, but goes further once you got the hang of it. Partly because it’s a chore, and partly because you are rolling to your own smoking requirements (rather than a factories cigarette, predetermined quantity) my experience is the tobacco goes further, and by “go further” I really do mean MUCH less tobacco is consumed…
I used to smoke near exactly 50 grams of golden Virginia per 8-10 days (6.25 to 5 grams a day) now a 35 gram pack of American Spirit goes a good two weeks, so that’s just 17.5 gram a week, or 2.5 grams a day.

So despite smoking since 13, I’m feeling kind of reassured. I think if other smokers can expose themselves to so much manmade filth, and live, then with me smoking my organic composition, the statistical chances of my survival must be much greater….
Will give up before I’m 30 anyway (I think!) (It’s a change from target dates of 18 and 25!)

One Option, I’m Investigating…

Some cigarettes today boast the inclusion of a "charcoal filter" in addition to the more common dense, synthetic fiber filters seen in almost all filter cigarettes. Manufacturers claim that charcoal filters, which contain bits of charcoal embedded within the fiber filters, reduce certain toxins in the smoke. But no evidence exists that these cigarettes are significantly less dangerous for the user. www.pbs.org...

So I looked into this product, but was disappointed…

“Tarx” Filters Exist that remove the nicotine, but that is one key enjoyment of smoking!
Wouldn't you prefer the assurance of instantlycatching large amounts of Tar & Nicotine in your easy, disposable TAR X cigarette filters?

Now you can stop collecting huge quantities of toxins in your lungs, where they are free to adversely affect your health!

TAR X cigarette filters block most Tar and Nicotine instantly. They help cigarette smokers who find it difficult to quit their smoking addiction and are for smokers who simply don't want to stop smoking their favorite cigarettes. www.blocktar.com...

But The Problem Is….
Nicotine is (mostly) the reason why a cigarette is usually smoked, at all! High nicotine is (obviously) only bad if you want to give up smoking, the rest of the time it’s a great way to cause the smoker to do less smoking, and of course it’s the smoking (with it’s many hundreds of combustion projects) which presents the most risk.

Because reducing tar levels also tends to lower nicotine levels, studies have shown that smokers inadvertently compensate for the loss of the nicotine. Smokers of low-tar cigarettes inhale more deeply, take puffs more often, and even cover up the tiny holes near the filter that were put there to reduce the amount of smoke, and subsequently the amount of tar, that a smoker inhales. www.pbs.org...

Obvious Improvements to Tobacco..
1. Regulation: Tobacco to be sold completely chemical free, from anything that is: “Artificially added, and which creates smoke products worse (in human health terms) than smoking tobacco in its 100% natural, yet air dried form.” Ammonia should certainly be banned, from low nicotine cigarettes as its it makes the little nicotine there is, more addictive, thereby purposefully deceiving smokers who wish to reduce.
2. Filters should be biodegradable, but also good at filtering tar, whilst nicotine is either replaced with either higher nicotine tobacco, or filters which absorb less nicotine. The logic being that (overall) less tobacco is consumed.
3. It’s possible (although slightly verging on “authoritarianism”) that factory made cigarettes should be completely banned, and replaced instead with their hand rolling tobacco. The logic being: The act of having to roll a cigarette reduces overall consumption. This is my experience. Many smokers will hate having to roll their own, but then again, it does put them more in control of whatever we put inside our bodies, and in this way could be (kind of) described as pro-liberty. Banning tobacco completely would only create a black market (and score 10 out 10 on the totalitarian scale!) but banning tailor made would be giving smokers a way out, whilst putting them more in control of their own destiny.
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I like smoking tobacco and i agree the things added to the tobacco and the quality of the tobacco determines major health risks. Since i started smoking i only have smoked organic tobacco. I could not understand why anyone would smoke newports, those things make me feel like #. I like all the information you provided and it is unfortunate that regardless people will still turn a blind eye. I wonder if any of these indigenous peoples who have smoked their home grown tobacco show any differences in the lungs. There should be a study comparing those hardcore smokers who only smoke organic, untreated tobacco to hardcore smokers who only smoke mainstream treated tobacco and compare health results.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984

What I’ve Done…
6 months ago I switched to American Spirit because it is 100% chemical additive free (golden Virginia contains fungicides so it’s toxic enough not rot under its own dampness). AS is hard to roll, but goes further once you got the hang of it. Partly because it’s a chore, and partly because you are rolling to your own smoking requirements

I like the idea of additive free cigarettes, but the ones you smoke are not 100%...they still contain fungicides which will lead to cancer anyways.

But cigarettes need to be 100%, and just like vegetables, need to be smoked while they are dry, otherwise moisture will set in and you get a soggy cig.

That said, they should put some vitamins, spinach leaves, or other herbs into the mix. I would smoke parsley anyday! That said, why not give it a try, hahah.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Skywatcher2011, American Spirit is 100% additive free, which is why it’s so dry (so it doesn’t rot) and is a real bugger to roll. However it’s obviously how people used to smoke.
As for put parsley in cigarettes: Seriously, you’ll be surprised to know that tobacco’s herbal alternatives are actually as bad, or even worse than ordinary tobacco www.quit.org.au...
I guess there is a reason why American Indians choose tobacco to smoke, and it might not just be because it’s addictive. Either that, or they just got lucky in their choice, as many alternatives contain more tar & toxic chemicals (after all it's like they've been particularly bred for a smooth flavour, but rather quite randomly selected, and then just thrown together).

Jvm222 I’ll research the info later but the order of risk is as follows…
1. Smoking more than one brand = worst (different tars & soot’s are formed)
2. Factory made Cigarettes 2nd worse
3. Hand rolled 3rd with chemical additives
4. Organic hand rolled 4th
5. Cigars 2nd (as mostly just goes into the mouth) and probably safer still with an organic brand.
6. Pipe smoke is barely dangerous at all (the pipe cools the smoke before it gets to your lungs, meaning the temperature difference between your lung and the smoke is much less, thereby less smoke products stick to the lung surface)
Smoking a bong is safest of them all, unfortunately a bit unpractical as they’ll think you’re doing drugs (everyone’s loves weed, except those who have yet to discover it!)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
You know what's less deadly? Not smoking.

Also, American Spirit cigs are made by RJReynolds, so who knows what is or isn't in them.

edit on 17-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
@ all smokers: stop it, do only MJ, its proven not hamring your lungs and so enjoy it =) but tabacco is stupid
edit on 17-3-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

What I’ve Done…
6 months ago I switched to American Spirit because it is 100% chemical additive free (golden Virginia contains fungicides so it’s toxic enough not rot under its own dampness). AS is hard to roll, but goes further once you got the hang of it. Partly because it’s a chore, and partly because you are rolling to your own smoking requirements

I like the idea of additive free cigarettes, but the ones you smoke are not 100%...they still contain fungicides which will lead to cancer anyways.

But cigarettes need to be 100%, and just like vegetables, need to be smoked while they are dry, otherwise moisture will set in and you get a soggy cig.

That said, they should put some vitamins, spinach leaves, or other herbs into the mix. I would smoke parsley anyday! That said, why not give it a try, hahah.

There actually were some cigarettes with vitamins in them.
They were called VitaCigs and as far as I know they were only sold in Quebec.
They were the most disgusting cigarettes ever made, you could actually taste the chemicals in them and the smoke that came off of them was more blue than it should be.

I think they were around for maybe 3 months.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Doesn't matter if it damages you or not, It's a hit to your economy, It's waste, There is no fun or gain in it. Take the money and give it to a poor man, make his day/week/month/year? Are you really that lonely that you would buy cigarettes to comfort you? Just trying to picture the sadness is enough to sicken me.

If you've got to much money, give it away to someone that has to little. If you have to much pride, then please go and die.

Peace, the non-smoker.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
My wife and I have been rolling our own for 3 years and we have cut down (except when we are bored or stressed) considerably because you put off rolling cigs more when you are machine rolling. We buy 1 lb. bags of "The Good Stuff" tobacco made in North Carolina by RSB Tobacco Co.. I have no proof however that there are not still additives in it. We switched to rolling primarily because the costs we going up by way of tax every time the state or Fed. needed to find a new revenue stream. Already tripled in price (and a new $1.75 tax in the works) since I began smoking at the same general age as you. How ever to get past the crazy taxes this tobacco has to be labeled "pipe tobacco" though it is cut the same as "rolly" and is not flavored. I am going to investigate the process in which the tobacco is treated tho in light of the links you provided, but am way of "natural" types of tobacco because sadly i depend on a pretty healthy dose of nicotine to get my fix. Guess I will just have to try some and see. Thank you for the info and making others aware. if nothing else maybe we can save people a few bux. Peace Brother.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessdalen
@ all smokers: stop it, do only MJ, its proven not hamring your lungs and so enjoy it =) but tabacco is stupid
edit on 17-3-2012 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

i just read this article and it shows how much lungs love it

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

Good to know about the herb aspect. I guess the best thing to do then is to quit cold turkey,

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84

There actually were some cigarettes with vitamins in them.
They were called VitaCigs and as far as I know they were only sold in Quebec.
They were the most disgusting cigarettes ever made, you could actually taste the chemicals in them and the smoke that came off of them was more blue than it should be.

I think they were around for maybe 3 months.

No kidding hey? Wow, I guess the cigarette companies are trying everything...surprised Quebec was involved in the experiment. Thanks for the post!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
AwakinNM

Guess I learn something new every day ay!

Seriously: Why can’t you keep to the topic which is spreading & developing ideas how to ensure idiots (like me) who do smoke anyway, may at least be aware on how to be less likely to die. Also so that (one day) government legislation might prevent cigarettes having e.g. cyanide added to them, in the same it would (or should!) for e.g. chocolate.

I am of the opinion that a lot of smoker deaths are caused by the unnatural additives, and type of rubbish junk food, most smokers (for some reason) seem more inclined to consume.

Also, American Spirit cigs are made by RJReynolds, so who knows what is or isn't in them.
Care to enlighten what’s bad about this company? What you think might be wrong with their product? And what you think is a better tobacco alternatives? Most tobacco is from British American Tobacco, and in addition to having evil politicians who hate spending public money, on protecting the public by locking away criminals, they also proactively promote child smoking in the 3rd world.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Ive always felt that its all the chemical additives that cause most of the cancer. The stuff they put in there is insane! If you truly want 100% organic cigs grow your own a friend of mine does this and they taste amazingly good compared to store bought!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

AwakinNM

Guess I learn something new every day ay!

Seriously: Why can’t you keep to the topic which is spreading & developing ideas how to ensure idiots (like me) who do smoke anyway, may at least be aware on how to be less likely to die.

IDK, man. That's like telling someone to commit suicide with a .22 instead of a .45 because they're less likely to die.

The stats are solid - smokers die younger, generally. There are always exceptions. There's really no way to spin it. Perhaps you should just live life the best way you know how, knowing that you're going to kick sooner than you had hoped. Hell, any of us could be run over by a truck tomorrow, smoking or not.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
AwakinNM

IDK, man. That's like telling someone to commit suicide with a .22 instead of a .45 because they're less likely to die.

Statements like these are like saying that because e.g. driving is dangerous, cars mustn't have seat belts! Or because petrol is bad there is nothing wrong adding lead to it. Your way of “thinking” is causing thousands (if not millions) of extra people to die, because it’s so completely apathetic to making danger, less dangerous.
I take it: You must be one of the few, who finds manufactures e.g. lawfully (yet slyly) adding e.gf. ammonia, so it’s harder to give up smoking, totally fine because err…. Smoking is dangerous?

ImaMuslim

If you have to much pride, then please go and die.
Peace, the non-smoker.
I know this off topic, BUT…
With thoughts & posts like these, is it really such a surprise you’re username is: ImaMuslim? I would love to say “your an exception to the rule” kind of thing. Just know: People wishing peace & death (in the same sentence!) having recently been giving Islam a terribly bad name!

I smoke because I enjoy it. The thought a famous man (who “married” a 9 year old girl) disapproving, does nothing to deter me.
I donate, but it’s always to the Battery Hen Welfare Trust, to prevent this kind of thing happening: www.youtube.com...
There are plenty of noble charities, dealing with problems caused by both the poor & mankind in general. Just because Mohammed advocated forever expanding the Muslim-world population, does not mean I believe with him (thank you very much!)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

AwakinNM

Statements like this are like saying that because driving is e.g. dangerous cars don't have seat belts, or because petrol is bad there is nothing wrong adding lead to it! Your way of “thinking” is causing thousands (if not millions) of extra people to die, because it’s so completely apathetic to making danger, less dangerous.
I take it: You must be one of the few, who finds manufactures e.g. lawfully (yet slyly) adding e.gf. ammonia, so it’s harder to give up smoking, totally fine because err…. Smoking is dangerous?

Hey, don't get angry at me, YOU'RE the addict. You could also argue that heroin should be made less "dangerous" so that we could save the lives of a few extra actors and musicians. Either way, it's still a stupid argument.

You want to never die in a car accident? Don't drive. You want to negate your risk of developing smoking-related diseases like lung cancer, mouth cancer, stomach cancer? Quit smoking.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
As a legal, smoke anywhere alternative to traditional smoking and recently just got into Vaping myself. Had one of those electronic cigs from a shopping centre and thought the concept was pretty good. However like anything, dont buy the mass produced kit, get some advice off forums, etc. Far better product available.

Your still getting the nicotine hit but inhaling that and glycerine as a vapour. You dont get all the nasty stuff that comes with a traditional cigarette.

Its also a hell of a lot cheaper. Decent unit cost me £35 and only £10 month for juice to keep it topped up.

Would add that I suffered from IBS and have had endescopes and CT scans left, right and centre because of it. Since I switched to Vaping havent even wanted a real fag and my bowel problems went away within two days.

Have never felt better.

If you click the picture link below you will see what i have saved already and cigs avoided.

The FDA in US had a fit a while back about them and tried to ban them. Didnt work.

Site such as www.ukvapers.com might be of interest and help to some.

Have added this video guide on Vaping. Note that i do not have any involvement with this company, Its just one of the better videos showing what its all about.

edit on 17-3-2012 by D8ncer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
AwakinNM

Hey, don't get angry at me, YOU'RE the addict.

Smoker, or non-smoker, I will always find logical cause to be very angry at your wilful embrace of making this world a more deadly place, than it otherwise need be (“need be” by any stretch of the imagination!). I suppose you possess this way of thinking, in order fulfil any personal, ideological-philosophical securities you may have?

You could also argue that heroin should be made less "dangerous" so that we could save the lives of a few extra actors and musicians. Either way, it's still a stupid argument.

Why, stupid? Surely the problem with heroin is that is poisonous & addictive. If these properties could somehow be reduced, then at the very least the drugs could be a class B-C. And if both these problems could simultaneously completely eliminated (i.e. by changing the drugs chemistry) then surely there would be little (to no reason) why the drug couldn’t be completely legalised.

In fact given research like Rat Park, which scientifically confirms heroin addiction is mostly induced by the problems of the users own life: en.wikipedia.org...
One of the best ways to reduce the harm caused by drugs, would not really be to ban them, but replace their properties with less harmful, scientifically developed, alternatives

Let me guess: Are you one these kill-joy “Christians” who believe that smokers deserve to die because “your body is your temple”? Well if so let’s get this straight: My body is not your temple, nor your ideologies. My body is my body, my temple (or not).

D8ncer
E cigarettes certainly (seem) greatly safer. But are still currently being found to be far, from risk free, which slightly bolsters why I (for now) am much more interested in smarter ways to smoke the real thing.

the team concluded that so-called e-cigarettes are unsafe and pose a health risk. They are now calling for such devices to be withdrawn from sale pending a rigid safety evaluation. www.gizmag.com...
Even so, hint much appreciated.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Let me guess: Are you one these kill-joy “Christians” who believe that smokers deserve to die because “your body is your temple”? Well if so let’s get this straight: My body is not your temple, nor your ideologies. My body is my body, my temple (or not).

I'll take away the guesswork for ya: NOPE. Wrong again, genius. Way to assume, though.

You're going to be angry with me why? Because you choose to put carcinogens in your body just because they are legal? You want someone to come up with a way to make it safer for you because you don't have the will power to quit? Don't you think if someone found a way to make smoking safer they would have by now?

Smoking is stupid. STOO-PID. You started smoking to fit in with your dumbass friends who smoke, you became addicted - deal with it. You get throat cancer and have to talk with a cancer kazoo? You gambled and lost. You live to be 98? Good for you, you beat the odds.

Go to rehab if you need to. Smoking is not enjoyable for anyone, and it's not safe for anyone and it ain't gonna be.

What's next? Making donuts "safer" for fat people?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join