It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How NOT to make "Blanket Statement" thread titles and/or posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am posting this thread to simply allow for some awareness on what the term "blanket statement" means and how one can prevent doing so when posting on ATS.

Please see these definitions individually:

Blan·ket (adj.)

1. Applying to or covering all conditions or instances
2. Applying to or covering all members of a class

State·ment (n.)

1. The act of stating or declaring.
2. Something stated; a declaration.

Once the words are combined they become the term "Blanket Statement", there in, the following definition is formed:

A statement covering an unlimited amount of people, groups, or issues across the board.

Unless one is directly quoting a specific article's title from an external website and in order for one to stay within the T&C's one has to keep said article title intact (as the author wrote it) then this would be the exception.

However, if one is titling their own thread then the following examples are of Thread Titles that are synonymous with a "Blanket Statement" and go against diversity and even more, common sense:

Breaking: All Democrats are trying to invoke a NWO

All UFOs are just figments of your imagination

The Middle East wants to see the US crumble

You should easily see how these thread titles are blanketing a certain type of people, group, or issue. Common sense dictates that very rarely would one people, group, or issue blanket the whole range of said people, group, or issue within a topic of discussion.

Instead, one can still express their feelings within said thread if they feel that the topic truly does encompass the entire people, group, or issue (ideally with proper sources) and still title the thread accordingly to maintain diversity whilst likely generating the same or perhaps even more civilized discussion within said thread.

The following are the same examples without blanketing the entire people, group, or issue:

Breaking: A number of Democrats are trying to invoke a NWO

Could UFOs be just a figment of the imagination?

Certain Middle Easterners want to see the US crumble

As you should see, it is much better to be diverse than to blanket an opinion on an entire people, group, or issue, unless of course one has undeniable sources to prove it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread and have fun.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I like how to talk about this issue. Time and time again I have seen falsified thread titles. The OP's of the threads exaggerated the titles., which did not match the post. I would invoke a penalty point on them as well as mandatory thread title change.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

some more examples to watch out for:

*Occupy protesters are lazy, homeless hippies...
*Alternative medicine is full of quacks...
*[nationality] is responsible for [accusation]...ie: Iran wan't to wipe Israel off the face of the planet...

ill add more if I think of em...

good thread

new topics

join