It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Range Day: Review of My New Semi-Auto Pistol for Conceal and Carry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have been contemplating a new purchase for a conceal and carry fire arm for months now. Finally, I had narrowed it down to price and conceal ability.

My first choice was a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry
Second Choice Sig Sauer P238 1911 style 380

Decisions Decisions....The Kimber was $1300, The P238 $700....
My mother, told me that if I got the P238, she could help me by paying half the cost......

So, for $350, I bought the Sig Rainbow Titanium with Rosewood Grips P238.....

The gun is small, SA only, but has the feel of the 1911, is lightweight and easy to be concealed.
So I went to the range with 100 rounds of Gold Dot 90 grain ammo.

At 14 feet, I was able to place shot groups within 1/4 inch apart
At 25 feet the groupings were within 1/2 inch to an inch apart.

The trigger pull was smooth, with very slight if any recoil. SWEET!!!

Not once did the pistol jam or misfire. Needless to say I am quite pleased and impressed with my newly nicknamed *Rainbow Princess* She may be small and petite but she can sure kick some serious booty!!

380 ammo may not be large enough for some, but to me shot placement is key.
As for the Kimber....Well, I still want it, but have to save up some $$$ for it....

So if you have been considering a new conceal weapon, try checking out the P238

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
does it have the extended 7 rd mag, its a good gun, but I think the grip is a little to boxy for my hand.

so also you are saying you would be comfortable with anything from .45 to .380?
I myself carry a M&P 9mm compact. 12 rd mag of 9, and i can hit a 4 inch target at a hundred feet with it, so if you are ever in the market for a second, or an upgrade take a look at this one, and the grip fits like a glove.
Also, you are very right about the shot placement, and having a lower powered round is better for control, especially if you are not an avid shooter. Do you shoot often?
edit on 17/3/12 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

The magazine is the 6 rd with 1 in chamber........I also have an XDM with 19+1 ... I love the extra ammo! As far as boxy feeling? I'm not sure I understand, but that's okay, I cant describe to people why I hate the Glock grip handle...

Getting a pistol is such a personal thing.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I carry a Springfied XD 45 compact. I love it. I also shoot a 230gr full metal jacket bullet. I am highly experienced with firearms though.(former instructor/Marine). Shot placement is key, I just prefer to place those shots with a hard hitting round. I am in the market for something for my wife. I will have to go check out the SIGs. I was thinking about having her try a Kimber ultra carry II due to the more compact size and she liked the feel. She also wants to shoot a 45 as well. I told her she will have to shoot a ton if she gets it to get used to it though.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

Yeah the Ultra Carry is very nice! The downside for me as a conceal was that it is the same size as my 9m, I could still keep it close to me, but cant really wear. It just felt too heavy for inner waist, and stuck out too much in the hip for my liking.

new topics

top topics

join