It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Refineries Close, Pushing Gas Prices Higher

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

oil shale is a rock from which shale oil is produced.its mainly tight oil in dakota .The reservoirs porosity is very low.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
reply to post by antonia

oil shale is a rock from which shale oil is produced.its mainly tight oil in dakota .The reservoirs porosity is very low.

I posted on the subject already. I'm not sure why you feel the need to explain to me what I already know.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by Jetman44

It also costs $46,000.

It's range is too limited. GM has stopped production and laid off the employees.

Nobody wants to buy it.

GM should move the Chevy Volt into a museum right next to the Edsel.

Your right on the cost it's too high for the average American to spend on new tech.

The range of 100 miles easily covers at least 90% of the populations weekly needs.

You're better off buying a 2012 Honda Civic when the price of gas is really high.

It's also more reliable.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

This headline spells the end of the Obama presidency.

The oil refineries do not have the capability to refine low

quality oil from Venezuela . It has high sulfur content.

Instead of making improvements Sunoco is just trying to sell

the whole refinery.

It's over. The high price of gas is the Achilles heel of

President Obama. Killing the Keystone Pipeline and giving us

solutions like Algae have Americans fuming. The DNC phone call

to Hillary Clinton is imminent.

www.newser.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-3-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

And who controls the high price of oil? . not supply and demand.. supply is outpacing demand these days.. the price of oil is 40-50% higher than supply and demand would have it.. Speculators drive the price.. and who are among the top of the speculation game? ... the Koch brothers..and who do the Koch brothers support? ... the GOP... Obama can't do much about the price of oil.. without some market regulation on oil speculators, we won't be able to control the costs.. the cost of oil artificially high right now.. supply is at a high, demand is at a low.. yet prices are way up..

edit on 3/18/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

If i create a - glut - of Super Unleaded Gas and diesel fuel in North Dakota the

prices will fall to $2.50 a gallon.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Just yesterday my husband and I were at a Nissan dealer getting the oil changed in our truck. While we were waiting, we walked around the lot and noticed a fully electric Nissan Leaf being charged up, so we asked a handy salesperson about it.

It was $33,000, very small, takes over 14 hours to fully charge up with a typical household AC set-up, and only goes 100 miles before the battery is dead. The salesman claimed that he had already sold 11 of them (this was a Lubbock, TX dealership). He stated that a few cities, like Houston, have "charge-up" stations around the city, and all the ones he sold were going to cities far away, except for one old farmer who bought one to drive from his home to his ranch office and back.

After we pointed out to him that, where we live, it was 100 miles to Lubbock, he said that the newer generation Leafs will go up to 500 miles on a charge, but that won't be until 2016.

Alrighty then. Meanwhile, most people have to make do with the vehicle they have, and suffer under the pressure of having to pay a lot more for gas to get to a job which doesn't pay much to begin with and will give no raises in the foreseeable future. Food is going up, gas is going up, utilities are through the roof, and wages are stagnant or dropping.

It's all a matter of time, folks, before the vast majority of people are pushed to the breaking point and the fabric of society starts to unravel.

But that won't be until after the presidential elections, I'm sure. Keep in mind that, whether you vote Demo or GOP, this country will be DOA if we keep going like this. Whatever bozo is at the helm when it happens matters not.

The Nissan Leaf is a much better car than the Chevy Volt.

Nissan just has to wait 5 years and then try again.

The American people don't want to be bothered charging their car everyday.

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
From the link:

Northeast refineries don't have the facilities to handle lower-quality, cheaper crude

My question is...why not?

The refineries should have invested more money back into their business. They should have expected the eventuality of harder-to-clean crude and been prepared. Sounds more like failed business practices than "Obama's fault" for not hand-carving them a path to easy profits. (although, I'll admit a median point of the two could be entirely plausible.)

I invest back into my business, so when a customer calls with a new request, I have the resources necessary and the contract doesn't fall by the wayside and go to someone else. I have managed to run a very profitable business regardless of the economy or administration.

Sure I could have kept most of the money I've earned and claimed it as ever-so-praiseworthy income. But then I'd have missed out on work that has kept me (more than) afloat, and I'd be left blaming someone else when the fault lies on my shoulders.

I have a responsibility to myself, my family, and my employees to run a business that can tread water when the current has subsided. Anything less is failure...and I learned as a youngster that my best ISN'T good enough if it leads to failure...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tharsis

I guess a new buyer could make improvements.

We will have to wait and see. For now it looks like it will closed in a few months.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join