It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Refineries Close, Pushing Gas Prices Higher

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

This headline spells the end of the Obama presidency.

The oil refineries do not have the capability to refine low

quality oil from Venezuela . It has high sulfur content.

Instead of making improvements Sunoco is just trying to sell

the whole refinery.

It's over. The high price of gas is the Achilles heel of

President Obama. Killing the Keystone Pipeline and giving us

solutions like Algae have Americans fuming. The DNC phone call

to Hillary Clinton is imminent.

www.newser.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-3-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

And who controls the high price of oil? . not supply and demand.. supply is outpacing demand these days.. the price of oil is 40-50% higher than supply and demand would have it.. Speculators drive the price.. and who are among the top of the speculation game? ... the Koch brothers..and who do the Koch brothers support? ... the GOP... Obama can't do much about the price of oil.. without some market regulation on oil speculators, we won't be able to control the costs.. the cost of oil artificially high right now.. supply is at a high, demand is at a low.. yet prices are way up..

edit on 3/18/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I gotta wonder if this is a political ploy.
Will Obama 'save' us somehow? Because we all know money, oil and wars are controlled and contrived with a specific agenda at hand. So we KNOW this is being done on purpose to either squash Obama out completely or....create him to be some boogeyman hero.
But regardless of its agenda, let it be known it's no coincidence this is happening on an election year!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
And who controls the high price of oil? . not supply and demand.. supply is outpacing demand these days.. the price of oil is 40-50% higher than supply and demand would have it.. Speculators drive the price.. and who are among the top of the speculation game? ... the Koch brothers..and who do the Koch brothers support? ... the GOP... Obama can't do much about the price of oil.. without some market regulation on oil speculators, we won't be able to control the costs.. the cost of oil artificially high right now.. supply is at a high, demand is at a low.. yet prices are way up..

edit on 3/18/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

In my opinion, the big problem is that oil is a necessity, so high prices can only reduce oil purchasing by so much, while demand will forever rise, increasing the sales market. Normally, competition would reduce the price of gas, but it seems that all the companies are working together to gouge their prices and make record profits every year.

Since it's the CEO's job to increase profit every year no matter what, the only way gas prices could ever go down is by government mandate, and that never ends well.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

U.S. Refineries Close, Pushing Gas Prices Higher

www.newser.com

Add one more victim to the soaring price of petroleum - refineries.
Yes, despite gas prices rising another 6% in February, refineries
in the US Northeast are shutting down because they are losing
money, reports the Wall Street Journal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

They are losing money

Victims?

Bull shhit

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I gotta wonder if this is a political ploy.

But regardless of its agenda, let it be known it's no coincidence this is happening on an election year!

It is, it is a ploy to get Obama booted out because he doesn't suck the industries pecker
for fun.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Sharpenmycleats

Originally posted by AmericanPitBull
Back in the 70's gas crunch the only oil field work available was capping producing wells so if during this one we are shutting refineries no surprise. What I find interesting is then and now we had a democratic president the oil companies did not like. So rather than point at the president during these examples I look to the oil companies. It was not by presidential edict those wells were filled with concrete in the seventies it was how the oil industry whipped the country in line the first time. Keystone oil is going to the gulf so it can be put on a tanker and shipped to indonesia and we are not likely to see a drop of it given the price of gas in indonesia. Time to look at the other hand folks the pres does not set oil prices or control them (if he did I can hear the screams from most of you) they are set by wall street speculation by the "job creators"
APB

Someone needs to tell the president he is not responsible. Someone also needs to tell Nancy Pelosi as well because she too thinks the White House is responsible. I guess the President doesn't have any control over prices when a Democrat is in the White House. But when George Bush is in office! These double talk mouth pieces have to go!

m.youtube.com...
edit on 17-3-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-3-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: Spelling corrections

ok...i'll take the time to point this out to you......bush came from an oil family, he owned or was partial owner in a couple of oil companies...the bushs were kissing buddies with the saudis...george bush sr. was an oil man...his father prescott bush was an oil man...this is why IT'S NOT DOUBLE TALK.....there is no equivilencey....obama had no connection to the oil industry....your arguement fails bigtime

So you didn't watch the video I take. More knee jerk reaction from the Obama camp.
Both blamed it on a failed energy policy or lack thereof not directly on Bush and his oil connections. So this begs the question, where is Oama's energy policy? Electric cars, solar panels, buy a new car? Of course you don't want to go there or I will show you the video of Obama admitting that his regulations on coal fired plants will push the cost of electricity up. Knowing this he wants Americans on electric cars.

You fail sir, at making sense. More blame Bush. Watch the video to see how they linked the president to the price of gas before you go off half cocked!

edit on 18-3-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: Corrected

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
the US is producing more oil now than it has in years. oil is traded on the world market and the prices can't be controlled by the president of the US. there's a reason oil companies are making MORE PROFIT than ever before while we're in a recession. does that not strike anyone as odd? same goes with the banks. the biggest corporations in the US are raking in the profits more than ever and we're suffering. drilling for more oil here will NOT fix the problem.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
the US is producing more oil now than it has in years. oil is traded on the world market and the prices can't be controlled by the president of the US. there's a reason oil companies are making MORE PROFIT than ever before while we're in a recession. does that not strike anyone as odd? same goes with the banks. the biggest corporations in the US are raking in the profits more than ever and we're suffering. drilling for more oil here will NOT fix the problem.

Thank North Dakota for your claim. How do you figure drilling more oil will not lower prices. Any market that is saturated leads to lower prices. You say the president does not have anything to do with prices at the pump. Think again. All the free money we just printed, this president, just made our Dollar worth about the same as a square of toilet paper. So it takes more dollars to buy oil even when it is $107 per barrel. In 2008 when gas went over $4.00 per gallon, oil was $140.00 per barrel but the dollar was worth more!

Oil companies make about 8% profit. They make billions because their product is so popular! Paying more for our oil would be more prudent than sending all our money over seas. That means drill our oil for us. Good grief.

edit on 18-3-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So many people of all political perusasions seem terrified to admit the truth:

Oil is a finite resource, there isn't much left.

There.

No what you gonna do?

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist
So many people of all political perusasions seem terrified to admit the truth:

Oil is a finite resource, there isn't much left.

There.

No what you gonna do?

Are you absolutely

100% sure about that ?

I believe that TPTB will go all the way with the easy resources (fossil) .....
Then all of a sudden, if and when it runs out,
we will see a new miracle energy.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
goodie goodie .I have my vehicles running on CNG
See ya suckers!!! keep whining about the gas prices.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharpenmycleats

check the cash flows and valuation methodologies.they make a lot more than 8%.Creative accounting my friend ,creative accounting.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

The oil produced in the states is exported because it's more expensive outside the US. We import our oil from Arab countries because we have all sorts of trade agreements that lock it at a low price. As a result, all the price gouging being done by oil companies is purely for profit.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

They found a tremendous amount of oil shale in North Dakota.

Santorum held a piece of shale in his hand. He said "It's the good stuff. Sweet Crude Oil."

That's because Santorum is an idiot.
en.wikipedia.org...

Shale oil is a substitute for conventional crude oil; however, extracting shale oil from oil shale is more costly than the production of conventional crude oil both financially and in terms of its environmental impact

It's not cheap and you will pay more for it than normal crude because it is expensive to extract. The EROI is nearly 1 to 1 which is why it's only in the last 10 years it's even become a viable option. People are so desperate for oil they will take anything. It won't last long though because it loses it's profitability fast.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Ah yes, the old "someone will save us" meme. No, they won't. They are stupid as we are. They don't even know what to do.
edit on 19-3-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Ah yes, the old "someone will save us" meme. No, they won't. They are stupid as we are. They don't even know what to do.
edit on 19-3-2012 by antonia because: opps

Well,

they seem to be doing a good job of cleaning everybody out

and keeping all the money

The "green" project yakers seem to be the ones shouting "we can save you" ...
all while they rob you blind

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A few years ago gasoline was expensive because we didn't have enough refinery capacity. Now it is expensive because we are eliminating refining capacity.

With lower demand should come lower prices. So much for the supply and demand equations we are taught in school.

The only way to solve this is national ownership and control over natural resources and other industries integral to our well being.

Just as Reagan stepped in and fired all the traffic controllers, Obama should step in and require these refineries to stay open, while instituting price controls on them at the same time. What is good for thye goose should be good for the gander as well.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Well,

they seem to be doing a good job of cleaning everybody out

and keeping all the money

The "green" project yakers seem to be the ones shouting "we can save you" ...
all while they rob you blind

And what green project might that be? Such projects exist because of the high price of gas. They wouldn't exist if there wasn't a demand for such things.

This whole thread is just another example of what is killing this country-Everything is political. No one believes any facts that may contradict their political beliefs. Politics are the most important thing to them. It's sad. Most of you would rather die than alter your political belief. And make no mistake, if people don't pull their heads out of their asses and start doing something concrete about Peak Oil there will be a lot of death.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
reply to post by paradox

oh no... I agree with paradox? Well, that's a paradox. Wait what's a Dox? And why are there TWO!!! ?

haha.

This is really bad news for me personally. Especially If/when? Israel strikes Iran... I have about $20 extra a month as it is. guess I can turn off the internet if gas goes up much more...

If I stop posting you'll know why.
edit on 3/17/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

Get a motorcycle!!!!

Gas used to kill me. I struggled all the time to make ends meet and worried about how I was going to get to work.

Then I bought a motorcycle. Many of my coworkers and friends called me stupid. Gas prices were going down, and yet I was riding a motorcycle in the rain and/or cold to get to work. I USED to hear it all the time about how dumb I was and back then I warned people that gas prices will go up again and I would be the last man laughing.

NO ONE makes fun of me anymore as gas continues to climb.

I now spend $20.00 per month on gasoline and I save a fortune on insurance. My car cost me $125 per month for insurance. My motorcycle cost me $226 A YEAR for insurance. I LITERALLY fill my gas tank up with pocket change. Every day I come home from work and empty the change out of my pockets and put it into a piggy bank, I been doing it for years. Now that pocket change fills up my gas tank, and my piggy bank is still getting full.

Gasoline prices are the least of my worries anymore. They can raise the prices all they want, the effect on me will be minimal.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia

The oil produced in the states is exported because it's more expensive outside the US. We import our oil from Arab countries because we have all sorts of trade agreements that lock it at a low price. As a result, all the price gouging being done by oil companies is purely for profit.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The USA purchases most of it's crude oil from Canada and Mexico. Those countries also import a lot of their oil for resale to us. The reason they can import it and then sell it to us and make money is because of the tariff's we put on it if it is shipped here. After Clinton signed NAFTA there are no tariffs on those countries. So why doesn't our government move to eliminate the middle man on 60% of our crude.

8% profit is hardly gouging. I guess they are an easy target. Gouging is what Microsoft charges for software. News flash for you
edit on 19-3-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join