It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Refineries Close, Pushing Gas Prices Higher

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

The Chevy Volt still uses a 1.4 litre gasoline engine to power the generator after the Volt goes its 40 miles on battery power.

Link
www.greencarreports.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Yeah, they do have big mouths. I expect them to lay low until after the election. Essentially what we have been seeing by the President thus far. He seems to be on auto pilot and going along with the motions? You know a little of bit of ducking and dodging, and doing just enough to make it look like they are doing their jobs. This is the time they will all converge on the center. The boss has got to win! Nothing too off-the-wall or radical until after the election, and after that who knows . . .

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Jetman44

It also costs $46,000.

It's range is too limited. GM has stopped production and laid off the employees.

Nobody wants to buy it.

GM should move the Chevy Volt into a museum right next to the Edsel.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51

Yeah, they do have big mouths. I expect them to lay low until after the election. Essentially what we have been seeing by the President thus far. He seems to be on auto pilot and going along with the motions? You know a little of bit of ducking and dodging, and doing just enough to make it look like they are doing their jobs. This is the time they will all converge on the center. The boss has got to win! Nothing too off-the-wall or radical until after the election, and after that who knows . . .

He has stopped saying the word -algae -. Now its biomass.

Newt made Obama look like a fool yesterday. He stood in front of a gas pump

and said pouring algae in your gas tank is not a solution.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well I just looked up Sunoco since that is who this article cited as on the verge of closing and that's not what what they are saying.

40.31 +0.08
Minimum 20 minute delay

Sunoco's new CEO on a charm offensive

Sunoco Takes Steps to Ensure Reliability of Supply

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

With the continual record profits the companies keep making I am having a hard time believing them on this.

What I think is really going on is this is a response to Obama's latest announcement a few days ago. He is calling on Congress to end subsidies oil companies were getting, citing their continual record profits.\

i am all about a free market economy, supply and demand etc however the oil industry has taken asshatery to a whole new level. My question is when does it go from free market supply and demand to downright criminal? With the identical pricing on gas across the nation / companies I wouldn't mind seeing a RICO probe into them.

ATS - Obama wants to end subsidies for oil companis
edit on 17-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixiefyre
Well I just looked up Sunoco since that is who this article cited as on the verge of closing and that's not what what they are saying.

40.31 +0.08
Minimum 20 minute delay

Sunoco's new CEO on a charm offensive

Sunoco Takes Steps to Ensure Reliability of Supply

I went to the Sunoco website.

It looks like the PR guy is hiding under his desk.

Just Google sunoco closing refinery and stories pop up everywhere.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

With the continual record profits the companies keep making I am having a hard time believing them on this.

What I think is really going on is this is a response to Obama's latest announcement a few days ago. He is calling on Congress to end subsidies oil companies were getting, citing their continual record profits.\\

i am all about a free market economy, supply and demand etc however the oil industry has taken asshatery to a whole new level. My question is when does it go from free market supply and demand to downright criminal? With the identical pricing on gas across the nation / companies I wouldn't mind seeing a RICO probe into them.

There is cheaper lower quality oil available. Sunoco could make a lot of money if they

could handle it. It has a high sulfur content. The refineries near Louisiana can refine it.

This particular refinery cannot. They are stuck and are losing $$$ billions of dollars

buying the expensive sweet crude.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oh but those are all from 2011 end of the year. They have a new CEO as of the First of this month it appears .

Open Letter to the Community

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Oh but those are all from 2011 end of the year. They have a new CEO as of the First of this month it appears .

Open Letter to the Community

The refinery has turned into a financial cancer.

I wonder who would buy it?

Would you?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

What I think is really going on is this is a response to Obama's latest announcement a few days ago. He is calling on Congress to end subsidies oil companies were getting, citing their continual record profits.\

ATS - Obama wants to end subsidies for oil companis
edit on 17-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

oh c'mon...you're making sense...we can't have that happen here. don't you realize that this is Obamas fault?

i wonder when the republicans will actually say that this is the oil companies fault...cold day in hell comes to mind.
and if Obama goes to war with iran...gas will be at 8 bucks a gallon in no time...obviously the republicans want this to happen just before election day.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
After some searching it appears that the reports of is closing were at the end of last year, and that for some reason the Wall Street Journal business section posted that it was closing yesterday on it's subscription only site

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Back in the 70's gas crunch the only oil field work available was capping producing wells so if during this one we are shutting refineries no surprise. What I find interesting is then and now we had a democratic president the oil companies did not like. So rather than point at the president during these examples I look to the oil companies. It was not by presidential edict those wells were filled with concrete in the seventies it was how the oil industry whipped the country in line the first time. Keystone oil is going to the gulf so it can be put on a tanker and shipped to indonesia and we are not likely to see a drop of it given the price of gas in indonesia. Time to look at the other hand folks the pres does not set oil prices or control them (if he did I can hear the screams from most of you) they are set by wall street speculation by the "job creators"
APB

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Very few people in this thread seem to remember that the US does produce a lot of oil, but we export almost all of it, and then import what we need from other countries. It's really convoluted.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

After some searching it appears that the reports of is closing were at the end of last year, and that for some reason the Wall Street Journal business section posted that it was closing yesterday on it's subscription only site

Right now Sunoco has shut down the refinery and is waiting for a buyer.

They will stop waiting in July and close it down.

It looks like they cut corners when they built it.

-Sweet Crude only -

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I must read further then.

my apologies

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I could give a # about Obama..... I live on the Gulf Coast and pay $3.97...

That's freaking crazy to me. I just lived in Atlanta and right before I moved I filled up for $4.19 a gallon. I couldn't imagine my Chicago, New York, and West Coast comrades prices right now..

Obama should have approved the Keystone Pipeline.

He is doomed.

Everyone thinks this pipeline is all good and no bad. Trust me, its worse having a huge P/L like that full of 20 million barrels going over aquifers and such. The few jobs would mainly have been for pump station operatos long term. I worked on the Keystone P/L and can tell some stories alright, but I'm not lyin when I say Its nasty to process dirty canada oil.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
Very few people in this thread seem to remember that the US does produce a lot of oil, but we export almost all of it, and then import what we need from other countries. It's really convoluted.

They found a tremendous amount of oil shale in North Dakota.

Santorum held a piece of shale in his hand. He said "It's the good stuff. Sweet Crude Oil."

There's an economic boom in North Dakota.

Too many jobs and not enough people. They are offering sign on bonuses to people

to work at McDonalds.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine
I could give a # about Obama..... I live on the Gulf Coast and pay $3.97...

That's freaking crazy to me. I just lived in Atlanta and right before I moved I filled up for $4.19 a gallon. I couldn't imagine my Chicago, New York, and West Coast comrades prices right now..

Obama should have approved the Keystone Pipeline.

He is doomed.

Everyone thinks this pipeline is all good and no bad. Trust me, its worse having a huge P/L like that full of 20 million barrels going over aquifers and such. The few jobs would mainly have been for pump station operatos long term. I worked on the Keystone P/L and can tell some stories alright, but I'm not lyin when I say Its nasty to process dirty canada oil.

Has anyone floated the idea of building a new state-of-the-art refinery in North Dakota?

Distribute the Super Unleaded & Diesel fuel from right there.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis

Are you assuming that oil from the Keystone pipeline would be used to fortify the US fuel supply and provide affordable gas to our citizens????

Nope, you got it wrong.

The prices are being artificially manipulated to punish Obama for his decision on the pipeline. It is a game.

The oil industry knows that high fuel prices will begin to slow the economy and they are masters at price manipulation. Always formulation changes (planned), maintenance schedules (planned), along with questionable accidents seem to lead to higher prices that rarely return to their previous levels.

If the republicans had anyone electable Obama would be in trouble, but all they offer us is fools & trolls.

edit on 17-3-2012 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join