It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Theft on the rise

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by shushu

I would love to answer why they do this, but I really can't say. I don't understand, nor do I want to. The only people who can tell you why is the people that do it. And I don't know anyone that would.
Plenty of other ways to take care of stray dogs.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
If there are several cases of missing pets in a certain vicinity there could be an animal broker working the area. Random source dogs and cats for research purposes brings good money. Pets are always the preferred animal model as they are much easier to handle than the purpose bred animals.

What is the breed, size, sex of the missing animals?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

I wish I could say. As I said, I haven't been up there to visit in a few years. What I do know is he usually favors mixed breeds, so, more than likely his dogs would go to a research facility.

I don't think they would wait for a lost dog reward either, because they are mixed breed. The "kidnappers" wouldn't think they held any value.

I just wonder how bad this is getting. Most of the responses have been about preventative measures, and not actual experiences, so, maybe its not as bad as the websites say? But a 39% increase in a year seems pretty high.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerTruths

The dogs that are being rounded up could never be placed back into the pet market. Stolen dogs are taken to dealers that are licensed to sell random sourced animals to an array of laboratories. Owners need to contact local grass roots, animal protective organizations, they are most likely to know where the dealers are located and where the auction sites are.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

I am so sorry these thefts still go on. Random source dogs are a huge business, the guy stealing the dog may collect 25.00 to 100.00 per dog from a class B dealer. That same dealer could make 250.00 to 1,000.00 for those same dogs.

The USDA was forced to open the doors of random source dealers for inspection from the public. Contact the USDA for a list of Class B dealers in your State.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have to go to work, so, I'll be gone for awhile. If anyone comes across more info, or has any real life experiences, or just wants to say how messed up this is, please post them and I'll respond back when I can.

Also, I appreciate the responses so far. And thanks to everyone who responded to my Dads feelings/loss. Like I said, these dog's meant the world to him and it means a lot to know you guys understand how he feels.

Thanks again,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That is good info. And I will tell my dad.

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I read that they charge a $10.00 fee for class B licences, and they do not do a lot of regulating on who can get them. So, I guess my question is, why don't they regulate these licenses alittle more? Maybe it would help cut down on the theft of pets?

I mean, why can't they just regulate the ability to get that license a little more?

Thanks,
Blend57

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

The USDA was our biggest hurdle when trying to change the protocol for regulations. University labs are the biggest buyers of random source animals. The USDA takes there marching orders from the National Institute of Health when it comes to this subject, They want cheap and easy access to our pets.

We managed to make animal theft a felony in the state of Missouri. I'm not so sure it made a difference.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by blend57

I have been looking for our missing/stolen dog in Michigan for 9 days and we also live about 3 hours from the Detroit area. I saw your post today while I was searching for her, I have learned that the rate of dogs being stolen in Michigan and Northern Michigan is way up and I have been posting on all of the Facebook Pages and looking on all of the lost and found pet sites...I was looking for your fathers dogs and I did not find any that were posted. Have you posted the information on line for your parents? What I have found is that people are very fickle....if it is no affecting them then is really is not there problem...my thinking is that is part of what is wrong with our world. Everyone thinks that it is not going to touch them...Wrong!!! There are people out there stealing animals for resale and for really really bad things just because they want money. We need to be better then the rest and do the right thing.
Our puppy soon to be 9 months was taken or run off...( ??) on Sunday March 10th at 4:35 in Tawas Michigan. She was outside with her brother for less than 20 min's. We have had dogs on our property for more then 20 years...Why her??? She is pretty and smart however she is young and trusting...I have a feeling your fathers dogs were good trusting dogs?
We need to open our eyes to the world around us and make sure each day counts. Make a diffidence and trust in your own intuition.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Hopefully, my post will save someone's pet from being abducted.

I care about my dog more than I do for most other things, especially criminal human life. If I catch someone attempting to abduct my dog, I will not shoot them, but chop them up with my machete instead.
edit on 19-3-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join