It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the Cult of Ron Paul

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I've written to you people about this once before, but it apparently didn't get through; so I'm going to make one last appeal.

Please, please, for the love of all that is holy, stop depicting Ron Paul as some kind of superhero. It is truly sickening, and I want it to end.

The main reason why I want it to stop, is because of how utterly servile and infantile it makes the people doing it look. I know you view yourselves as being completely powerless, helpless, and with no control over your own destiny. That is why you want this man to do for you, what you think you can't do for yourselves. You want him to get into office, wave a magic wand, and make all the bad things and people go away, because you don't think that you have the ability to do that for yourselves. You view yourselves as infants.

All that tells me, though, is what a vast chasm exists psychologically between this man you venerate, and most of the people who venerate him. Libertarianism is not about victimhood and helplessness; and it also isn't about being a mindless, brainwashed member of a cult. It is about individuality, personal initiative, intelligence, and courage; and I don't think I've seen a single one of these characteristics exhibited by any of the Ron Paul supporters that I have observed.

Go and learn about the founders of your country. They were not followers of the herd. They were intelligent, self-possessed men, generally with a classical education. All of those books are freely available online; if you really want to be like your founders, and like Ron Paul, you should go and read them. Most of you are not well educated, or have a particularly strong grasp of how to truly think, and it shows.

Stop being brainless, voluntarily helpless sheep, America. You're better than that. I know you are, even if you don't know it yourselves. Stop also thinking that you need the government's involvement and permission to literally scratch yourselves; you do not. If any of you really had any idea (and I'm not talking intellectually here, but emotionally and intuitively; on a really gut level) of what Libertarianism really means, you wouldn't want Ron Paul to get into office and do it all for you. You wouldn't want the government to be involved at all.

You'd want to go out and do it yourselves; and none of you want to do that. It is America's collective lack of individual sovereignty which, right now, is her single biggest problem.

If you don't change that, then it won't matter if Ron Paul gets into office, or if he does everything you want. Unless you become sovereign yourselves, he will not be able to save you.
edit on 17-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
For your lack of hero worship, I give you a star.

I completely understand what you're saying. Politicians are all the same in my book, but everyone gets continuously duped every four years.

s&f.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Dude you come across as bitter and angry.

I personally didnt see anything you said terribly valid, do you not think there is anything wrong with the American government? Dont you think the government as well as the people need to change?
Voting for someone like RP is a good start to make those changes

Dont you find it refreshing that a politician has something different to say and has at least addressed the issues we all know exist (wether you think he has the answers is another question)

Hero worship, maybe but at least in my mind the guy is a hero for not selling out the way the rest of Americas politicians have.

No star no flag

P.s Im not even American
edit on 17-3-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I like Ron Paul even though I'm not a Libertarian by any means and I agree with you

Celebrity worship is silly. And yes a politician is a celebrity according to the dictionary.

I think the main reason people do, especially conspiracy people who tend to be a critic of anyone is because of his age and appearance. He doesn't have the old evil slimy look that most politicians do. He kinda looks like a friendly grandfather, and everyone generally looks up to their grandfather.

And of course because he's sold as incorruptible and would bring drastic change. He has good PR people.

edit on 17-3-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Dude you come across as bitter and angry.

I am tired of what I'm seeing, yes.

No star no flag

That's fine. I didn't make this thread because I was looking for that. I made it in order to communicate what I am thinking, irrespective of whether other people approve of it or not. I expected people not to.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Dont you find it refreshing that a politician has something different to say and has at least addressed the issues we all know exist (wether you think he has the answers is another question)

Nearly every man who has ever called himself a politician and rose to station within the last 10 years has, in one way or another, screwed us over. Politics isn't about serving the people; it's about convincing the people to serve you.

Just because Ron Paul knows what to say to make us happy, doesn't mean he has any intention of actually doing it. I, for one, will not vote for a single politician until I see one that does things right.

When it comes time to be re-elected, that's when I'll join in. Until then, let's see if he proves himself. Right now, he's barking, that's all. It's the same every four years.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Do you not think people need idols/heros?
people to look upto as examples of how things should be or ways of changing the status quo?

I agree that blind hero worship is wrong but I really cant fault people for being enthusiastic and excited about RP and wanting to tell as many people as possible who he is and what hes about.

If I was American I would be over the moon to have a potential Pres like him after the past few lying clowns theyve had in office

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think a good chunk of the RP supporters are as you described, but there are plenty of us out here that stand up for the values that libertarianism embodies: self-worth, hard work, strong moral code, and intellect. The main reason I value Ron Paul as a political "hero" (I use the term loosely; I think he's as good a guy any politician can be and I think he really believes what he is saying) is that he is of strong conviction and says the unpopular thing, and always has. For the longest time Congressman Paul has been advocating positions that aren't necessarily the "smart" position for a Congressman or Presidential Candidate, because he believes in them. There are too many other politicians who will pretend to hold values, but visibly and often sell them out for the "right" political move. I haven't seen this much (if at all) from Congressman Paul.

That's why I support Dr. Paul, not because he's a god, but because he's a man, like many of us, and stands up for what he believes is the truth. He's not infallible, and I'm not even sure if his positions on foreign policies are the correct moves, but I hope that they are.

That and he's been right on many accounts in his analysis of U.S. Foreign and Domestic policies.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Holodomor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
reply to post by petrus4

Do you not think people need idols/heros?
people to look upto as examples of how things should be or ways of changing the status quo?

I agree that blind hero worship is wrong but I really cant fault people for being enthusiastic and excited about RP and wanting to tell as many people as possible who he is and what hes about.

If I was American I would be over the moon to have a potential Pres like him after the past few lying clowns theyve had in office

How do you know he isn't a lying clown?

How do you know he won't change his ways as soon as he's in office?

Show me this guarantee, please.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

True true

Theres no gaurantees but he has a pretty good record, everything he talks about has been consistant with his past voting record from what Ive seen

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Edit: Nvm not contributing to these anti paul threads.
edit on 17-3-2012 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freezer

Then you prove yourself exactly the kind of single minded, unquestioning cultist that I referred to in the OP. You are also refusing to comply with this site's motto; Deny Ignorance.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Then you prove yourself exactly the kind of single minded, unquestioning cultist that I referred to in the OP. You are also refusing to comply with this site's motto; Deny Ignorance.

Calling people names shows more about you than me.

I will just say this, parts of what you said make sense, but it has nothing to do with Ron Paul, and in actuality Ron Paul is one of the few actually getting the people to take notice of what their government is really doing..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4

Calling people names shows more about you than me.

Yes, it's a name; but look at how you are behaving. You have a belief system, and you apparently do not want to subject yourself to anything which might threaten said beliefs.

This thread is also not anti Ron Paul, for the record. I don't know anything about who Ron Paul as an individual is. I do know, however, what I have observed about how his followers behave, and that is the source of my current grievance.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As long as people are willing to admit that Obama not only has been ineffective but also that he has brought very little change and lied as much or more than any politician from Chicago.. And as long as they are willing to admit that Mitt Romney is the banker's choice and not the peoples. As long as people are willing to admit that Gingrich is a pompous, unethical hypocrite. As long as people are willing to admit that Santorum's "government by the church" has been tried before and it doesn't work.

Who does that leave as a choice this time around? Someone who lobbyists have gone on record saying that he can't be bought? Someone that is consistent in his message and has been for the past 20 years or more. That is why people support Paul.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

How do you know he isn't a lying clown? How do you know he won't change his ways as soon as he's in office? Show me this guarantee, please.

Considering that he has been consistently saying the same things for more than 20 years, long before he considered running for the Presidency, I'm guessing that the information in the video constitutes as much of a guarantee as we can get. In the video he talks about the bursting real estate bubble in 2002 and talks about how in the next decade we would be less free (boy he called that one 10 years ago.) He spoke out against the patriot act. He argued against getting into another Vietnam in the Middle East when Clinton was still President. Generally when a man says the same things for more than 20 years, you can bet that he's not going to change his tune just because he got a little more power.

edit on 17-3-2012 by coyotepoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The cult of Obama is so pathetic and ignorant that it makes Paul look like superhero to you. Hes not dude,,just a great guy unlike Obummers dumb ass..I should make a post showing Obamas dumb supporters who cant tell you one policy.The videos of the Obama Cult are easy to find just look up :"Obamas ignorant supporters" on youtube...this is why you see Paul as a superhero maybe?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

This is a waste of time thread by a very bored uninformed bitter person. Like all Obama supporters,,UNHAPPY ////GO RON PAUL....GO RON PAUL...GO RON PAUL...MY SUPERHERO...THE END OBAMA WILL BE A START OF CHANGE FOR THE BETTER.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet

Considering that he has been consistently saying the same things for more than 20 years, long before he considered running for the Presidency, I'm guessing that the information in the video constitutes as much of a guarantee as we can get.

a] Heads, he either has been lying, or will be corrupted the moment he enters office, and is bombarded with corporate money.

b] Tails, he remains incorruptible; in which case he either won't be allowed to win at all, or his head will be blown off approximately five minutes after taking the oath of office.

So either way; this is a fantasy. It is not real. The only reason why any of you think it is, is because you are sufficiently deluded that you believe that your government is still capable of functioning in a legitimate manner. It is not.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by avatard
reply to post by petrus4

This is a waste of time thread by a very bored uninformed bitter person. Like all Obama supporters,,UNHAPPY ////GO RON PAUL....GO RON PAUL...GO RON PAUL...MY SUPERHERO...THE END OBAMA WILL BE A START OF CHANGE FOR THE BETTER.

This is all you've got. Ad hominem of anyone who disagrees with you, and continuing to robotically engage in chanting.

And people think I'm wrong in referring to this as cultic behaviour?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join