It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a painting, a drawing, a photo? Amazing view!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   

This stunning colorful view is difficult to define as a photo, and yet it is!!

Taken from the ASTER (Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer) which is an imaging instrument flying on Terra, a satellite launched in December 1999 as part of NASA's Earth Observing System (EOS).

Original Caption Released with Image:
Nunavut, in northern Canada, is the largest and newest federal territory of the country. The name means "our land" in Inuktitut, given to the territory in 1999. With a population of about 33,000 and an area about the size of Western Europe, Nunavut is the largest and least populous of the provinces in Canada.

The land is mostly flat as a result of the actions of the large ice sheet that completely covered the land tens of thousands of years ago. The evidence of this past glaciation is apparent in the thousands of lakes gouged out of the land surface. In the summer the lakes each harbor different biota, and have varying amounts of sediments; hence the great variety of colors seen.

The image was acquired July 18, 2001, covers an area of 58 x 59 km, and is located at 67 degrees north latitude, 97.6 degrees west longitude.

Read the full paper here with Full-Res TIFF: PIA13963.tif (45.66 MB) and Full-Res JPEG: PIA13963.jpg (2.312 MB) avalaible.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I think it's the angle that makes it hard to figure out...
makes more sense if I turn my head on the side

Otherwise it just looks like a Jackson Pollock

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
That's weird! At first I thought it was like some kind of green liquid running down on a window haha. I also thought there was lightning striking down on the left side. Even now that I know what it is, it still looks like it could be something other than a scene from Canada.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Almost looks like viral alien substances from my electron microscope

join