It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spanish Castle Illusion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I present you: The Spanish Castle Illusion

If you look at the black dot at the center of the picture for 30 seconds, when the image changes to a black and white version, you will see it in full color.

Image source

Author of original: John Sadowski

This illusion forces your brain to see color in a black and white photo. It works by first saturating your visual memory with shade and line data, which occurs when you stare at the first picture for more than ten seconds or so. Upon flipping to the second picture, the spectral opposite of the original color data is imposed on the grey lines and shading of the photo.

Source

When you move your eyes the memory will clear and the picture will look black and white to you. The colors will still appear to be there for a little longer, only really faint.

Here's a tutorial on how to make your own illusion.

When I came across this I thought it was going to be one of those "stare at me for a long time, a zombie picture will appear and a loud noise will scare you" type of thing, but this was the real deal

I thought you guys would find it interesting, so I wanted to share it.

edit on 17-3-2012 by Casandra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Makin' it trippier up in here.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Thank you for providing a soundtrack. Excellent song

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I gotta admit, that is a good one. Not having read the text I saw the coloured image first but didn't realise it would flip to another image. I started reading the text then my eye caught the image change and I almost fell off my stool!

Having read the text and followed the instructions it really does work, unlike those damn stereograms you referred to. Good find. Seeing is not always believing.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Here's another one by the same author:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This one is a bit different. Look at the dots for 30 seconds then look at a blank wall, you'll see the image in color.

If you are curious about how afterimage works, our eyes essentially get fatigued of the color we are staring at and, seeking neutral, start to emphasize the complementary color. Essentially, the dark blue in the woman’s skin is the complement of her light yellow white skin color.

Source

edit on 17-3-2012 by Casandra because: Resized image

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
That is very interesting. I was looking at the picture thinking "this will never work"
, but It did, It was really good.

posted on Dec, 11 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
My Mind...

I had seen this illusion before it's neat, though it could be accomplished with any image or castle...

Good stuff

SS
edit on 103131p://am3118 by Spike Spiegle because: can't spell

new topics

top topics

join