It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State Gives S.B. County $60 Million for New Jail, California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown received $60 million from the state Thursday to build a new North County jail, a big step in the slow walk toward a much-needed custody facility.

While Brown had asked the state for $80 million, the Corrections Standards Authority (CSA) gave him only $60 million. The money comes to the county under the second phase of Assembly Bill 900. Thus far under the two phases, the state has passed out $1.2 billion to 22 counties for jails.

Source..

Yea great. So the government forces California to alleviate its over crowded prisons and what do they do, build more local jails. Why are we not hearing about stories like this in MSM? They can't build prisons because to many people will stand against it. Let me further clarify with another mind boggling story.

Aceves just began what figures to be a record-setting jolt in our jail. I wanted to find out if he was happy to spend his drug-dealing sentence near home instead of (horrors!) state prison.

Even though he’ll probably only serve about 11 years instead of 23, so far, it’s the longest known term meted out under California’s new AB 109, in which nonviolent felons are sent to county jails in a move to relieve overcrowded prisons. Problem: Santa Barbara’s jail is also overcrowded.

Source...

So the war on drugs what? Is costing us more money then i bet they are counting, kind of like the unemployment rate and better yet, they are doing it under our noses.

Wait what is California AB 109?

This bill would instead provide that a felony is a crime that is punishable with death, by imprisonment in the state prison, or notwithstanding any other provision of law, by imprisonment in a county jail for more than one year.

Source..

Ahh no big deal, we will mask the situation while continuing to cut education funds. What this government does is pathetic.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Greeeaaaaaatttttt. Just what we need; A new prison. Wonderful.
Let's just forget about how many teachers that could pay or how many schools could be saved. It's not like there is any correlation between the crim rate and education......right?

edit on 16-3-2012 by zrocketman976 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zrocketman976

Lets not forget immigration and the growing number of gangs. Who needs teachers when we can imprison the entire population eventually. The funny thing will be the people who built the prisons will be living in them to!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Yep.
I always love to think of what it will be like in a few years.....

new topics

top topics

join