It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange to run for Senate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

As a Senator he would certainly have access to information / material of a sensative nature. Is Assnage willing to put his personal stance aside and refrain from releasing / leaking / discussing information that is protected?
Assuming he becomes a Senator, I'm sure he would leak information that he thinks the public should know about. And bloody rightly so. That's what the Government is supposed to do. It isn't their duty to hide things from the public, it's their duty to inform the public of information that is important. Not everything needs to be classified for national security or other half-assed reasons. If the Government can handle the knowledge the public can handle the knowledge. He knows not to release information that may cause harm to a number of people, and typically the Wikileaks team censored such information in their releases. Leaking information is noble and respectable, it is not a crime. Delusional kiss-ass government morons twist the logic and present backwards rationality to justify why important and incriminating evidence is kept from the public, but their paradigms are clearly wrong and corrupted by propaganda. Instead they view such information leaks as if they were criminal in of themselves, even if such leaks shed light on massive scale criminal activity. It's absurd and wrong.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

am not fully sure of the procedures for removal of a senator. I know the Governor General has the power to remove the Prime Minister, so could potentially also kick out a senator if they start rocking the boat too much. The Governor General is a representative for the Queen of England. As for the public they will just have to wait until the next election and not vote for him again. Then there is all the other dirty tricks campaigns that go on, but it looks like Julian has already had a few lessons here.

Is Australia really still subject to the British throne? I thought you guys were soveriegn? (hell..howeveryouspell it:lol

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

what is a grey hat hacker?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Assange has certainly got the publicity capacity of a public official, he is used to press attention, used also to dealing with international organisations, and handling of sensitive data. In my opinion, factually there is nothing to stand against him in terms of his expirience, nothing to outright prevent his taking a seat in that senate.

The thing that will count against him, will obviously be his past record of releasing data to the masses, which was meant for restricted access. However, it must be noted that Assange himself is not a leaker. Wikileaks is. Bill Gates is not a frequently bugging, poorly coded fool with built in obseletion. His products are. Its the same thing in a different vien.

However, Wikileaks has, to my knowledge, never leaked anything that directly caused the deaths of any member, of any intelligence or military organisation. It has, as I understand it, a policy which attempts to balance the worlds right to know what is really happening, without further endangerment of persons or assets linked to a leaked report.

Now, if Assange is willing to apply the same, or greater scrutiny to the matters he deals with as a senator, then the amount of understanding that the people he serves will have, of the matters that he may become involved with will probably be greater, and more information to the people, is more power to the people, and that is a political stand point that I veiw as totaly defensible. If I was lucky enough to think that a politician in my own nation, had enough back bone to do what he has done over the years, I would vote for him.

There is another point to make here. The FACT of the matter, is that no government tells its people as much as they should know, about the circumstances in which choices that affect that nation, are made. Governments use national security concerns to bury gaffes, mistakes, political suicides, and dodgy dealings, as well as the genuinely sensitive matters that we would all accept ought to be kept quiet. Using this time tested technique, it has been possible for governments to divide thier people against one another, and keep people at a place in stature and social standing, that renders them powerless to control thier fate to any significant or acceptable degree. Any candidate for public office, who would deny a government its power to control what people know about its dealings and affairs, is in my opinion, an awful lot better qualified to do the job to which he is set, than some pre-groomed, pre-selected suit with no soul ever is.

Again, if we in Britain had a person so utterly committed to the freedom of information, as Assange is, and that person ran for public office, I would vote for him so hard that my ballot paper would explode.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If I were Australian I'd vote for him. Australia has some strange internet censorship laws; he would be doing a great service to the country.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
reply to post by petrus4

what is a grey hat hacker?

The term "hacker," didn't originally mean what most people think it means.

Hackers were defined as programmers, or at the most, people who used technology to play generally harmless pranks; not as people who broke into other people's computer systems, which is the media's use of the word. Those who self-identify as hackers, generally refer to computer trespassers or malware writers as crackers. That is what Anonymous are, for the most part. They're generally not real programmers, and a lot of the newer people really don't know that much about computers or the Internet at all.

A grey hat hacker, on the other hand, is someone who exists somewhere between the two. Sometimes they can indulge in a certain amount of cracking, while also being enough of a genuine programmer that they don't get fully hit with the title. Usually, though, they're someone who is obsessed with encryption and various areas of computer security, but will generally have sufficient moral integrity that they will issue public notifications of any vulnerabilities or security holes that they find. Neo from The Matrix was an example, as was Kevin Mitnick, to a certain extent, in real life terms.

They are also almost always extremely arrogant. They are generally very intelligent, and they know it. They view the world as being entirely dependent on computers, and themselves having mastery over computers; hence, the God complex mentioned.
edit on 17-3-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
the only thing saving assange from prosecution in the united states is the fact that cnn, abc, cbs and nbc all showed footage, printed classified cables or reported on it just like assange did.

assange published classified cables on his website, the rest did it on their respective websites, news stations and news papers.

if they tried and charged assange, they would also have to try and charge media giant's like rupert murdoch, major news editors like the wall street journal, who also published classified cables, producers and even major news anchors.

every other reason is complete b.s.

if he was the only one in the whole world that published the cables, he would be serving 45 to life at the colorado supermax right now as we speak.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
All his big words and demand for change will end up like this muppet.

Midnight Oil singer Peter Garrett is a pathetic shame to himself in the mirror. Why would Assange want to sell himself out to be ruled and restricted?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yes I would vote for him.

In Australian politics he would most probably be able to pull it off. We have independents in the senate that have some real power. He would do well and would get help and a certain degree of protection from other independents.

All he has to do is appear to hand the reigns of wikileaks to some other person or persons and I imagine those persons would remain secret. I would rather see someone like him in the Senate rather than the self serving *%^&$% we have in the main parties.

P

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

FFS its Australian, not Austrailian.

You don't see anyone spelling American like Ameirican.

God damn don't write it if you can't spell it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

PM Assange has a nice touch to it, don't you think?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jace26

PM Assange has a nice touch to it, don't you think?
I agree, rolls of the tongue

edit on 17-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I agree with what most of the people here are saying.
Even if he does get elected and such, and has access to private information.

We have a right to any and all information that impacts us on a daily basis. The government is not supposed to hide things from us, I mean there are certain things for national security reasons (like just leaving instructions to build an untested warhead or what have you) that i can understand.

But the government hides far to much. Its plainly visible that the government does this..

You know what happens to me if i lie to my girlfriend?
I get smacked around (lol)

Know what happens when i lied to my parents?
I got smacked around =P

Its time to start smacking around the government. Compulsive lying is a sign of a sociopath.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
But hang-on! Wikileaks is a Mossad front!
Assange is complicit. His 'stance' on 9/11 tells you all you need to know!

This is all scripted! More manipulative BS!

The "Wikileaks" farcical comedy

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

He has done a courageous thing on behalf of our freedom of information.

We owe him a debt of gratitude.

He would get my vote, were I still resident in Australia.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Don't you have to live in the country you are running for office in?

Rahm Emmanuel never should have been allowed to run for Chicago Mayor, so I guess anything is possible.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
When Assange was young, he was arrested for hacking and it was at that point he may have thrown his lot in with the power elite. Fast forward to the 2000s. He doesn't create WikiLeaks, he buys it. And there are plenty of questions about his background, where he gets his money and what his ultimate goals are.

It is quite likely that he's backed by the elites - the same group that lobs fear-based promotions at the world and then proposes solutions like "transparency." If government doesn't work, it shall have to be made to work. Its corruption is to be exposed; its dysfunction erased. The "people" are to rise up and demand this. Assange for Senator!

Sometimes my preoccupations are rewarded by special events such as the constantly growing presence of Julian Assange. Elite memes are usually bigger than individual people, but this is guy is a walking, talking meme by his lonesome. I’ve never seen anything like it. You know, the elite doesn’t have anything new in their playbook – and this guy is straight out of central casting.

He doesn’t want do away with government or even make it smaller. He just wants to make it better! What a hypocrite.

He’s been groomed.

Being generally suspicious of Assange and WikiLeaks exhibiting is a kind of Anglosphere power elite "limited hangout," I don't see any reason to change my assessment now.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Bearing in mind the current upheavals going on with the Banks right now - it seems something Big and Global is afoot so if at the end of it all, they decide to press the reset button and introduce a completely new Banking System this would have to be sanctioned and agreed in High Politics Globally.

Considering the mess the current system is in both Politically and Globally they wouldn't want anything like the same and may have all agreed to a completely transparent and fare structure - that would be the only way to bring complete change about and the Banking system cannot go on for much longer as is.

In such a Scenario (just guessing) then Assange would be a perfect choice having proven his Transparency!

Notice too how the unexpected has been happening around the world re Leaders/Presidents/Prime Ministers even Obama came from no where. It's like they're getting rid of the ones who have not agreed with envisaged new system.
Just makes you think that they've been preparing the stage!

S&F Good Thread and for getting it straight out.
edit on 17-3-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

Julian Assange announces his bid: (Video)
www.abc.net.au...

edit on 17-3-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

The position you have outlined about him not being an attractive ? candidate because of possible leaking of inomation he would have acess too would proberly make him desirable in the eyes of the voters due to their wanting access to secret wranglings of suspcious government .

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i think it's his reward for being a shill.fed everyone useless,possibly bogus "leaks".oh here you go dumb public,your peoples champion,cough,cough.as for the "i'd vote for him" crowd-wow,i guess you are the 90 percent of the population who watch x factor,use facebook etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join