It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Every American Seeking Work Can be Employed: Redistribution of Wealth from the 1%

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

When you saw the perks and unethical behavior of your prior boss, did you quit immediately? When you told others, did they? What about your husband, did he march off the job because of these differences in position?

Business = profit. Period. No profit, no business.

Additionally, just like in every other profession, more talent, performance and ability = higher pay and perks.

Were your employer to offer you a million more dollars, stock, your own schedule etc you would turn it down because the janitor has to clock in and makes minimum wage?

edit on 16-3-2012 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
reply to post by Wolf321

Maybe this isn't the right way. Just trying to think of a creative way to solve our job crisis. How would you suggest we solve it? -___-

The first step to repairing a major developed economy is actually not one of Economics.. it's one of psychology.

Accept Decline

When we see dips in employment or GDP we go into a frenzy demanding to know who is responsible, who to blame, what to spend more money on, dramatically altering the financial landscape by HUGE fluxuations in interest rates, regulations, bailouts.. etc.. etc..

A real world example: Someone comes down with a flu, sneezing, coughing, the whole deal. Instead of bedrest and chicken noodle soup, we take the person to the ER, and begin operations, procedures, amputate a leg.

In order for an economy to work correctly there literally HAS to be periods of decline.. a "normal" economy would see a decline about every 5 years, 1 year decline, 5 years moderate growth.

Our economy doesn't actually produce goods though.. 70% comes from an internal revolving flow of cash called "consumerism" (which for a Capitalist economy it's akin to opening a lemonade stand and buying 70% of the cups of lemonade yourself and calling it a profit) so our periods of decline would be more severe.... but necessary. Because once to many people work for government and McDonalds the economy needs to throw a tantrum to re-evaluate the economic standing as compared to other productive economies.

The REAL reason so many people are STILL out of work? Because the god damned government decided to throw trillions into the system to see what happens.. instead of a massive crash and instant reset .. we are floundering because the economy never had a chance to naturally readjust its self to our standard. When your computer freezes you reset it .. you don't kick it, because eventually you'll need to reset anyways. That's what is happening to our economy.. kicking the can down the road floundering about until our inevitable crash. Which thanks to the retards who oversee our financial policy will be much more severe than if we just let the banks tank in 08'.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

If the best reason you can think of to work and be productive is money, you are a loser.

...my life ambition should be to work 14hr shifts in a government factory for the sheer joy of hard labor. Yes yes.. "The needs of the people before the needs of the individual" .. the old communist mantra. It worked lovely in the USSR.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

You are correct sorry that was a presumptuous word usage, some would have been the more correct usage. My statement is also an empirical observation that those who are middle and upper class tend to stay upper and middle class while those who are lower class tend to stay lower class due to rough environment and debt.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leftist
Hey, with that logic, why not bring back slavery for the blacks? Or some other group?

They already have it is called the prison system.

Where they can stamp "Made in the USA " and still only pay the workers .25 an hour.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
The lower class stay lower class because regulations and taxes stifle their ability to start-up a new business, the only means of which wealthy people became wealthy in the first place.

For example, I tried to open an online currency exchange. Heavy laws and regulations in the financial sector saw that I'd need lawyers and financial certification of which were going to cost a fortune before I'd even started to see if the business was going to be viable. Therefore, I gave up on it.

How did society benefit from these regulations? It didn't; everyone was a loser. Customers couldn't do business with me, I couldn't expand or distribute wealth via productivity. I couldn't employ or buy people's labor. I couldn't earn anything to fund public infrastructure via the income/consumption taxes I could have generated.

I'm willing to risk capital I've earned to take on a venture, but I'm not willing to pay politicians for a privilege of freedom to risk it. Regulation and government intervention is the cause of skewed wealth.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I guess I am middle class. I am white and I went to college. I also have been poor and eaten from trash cans or paid dimes for food that was about to be thrown into the dumpster.

I remember when there was no internet, no home computers or cell phones.

I also know and have experienced the ups and downs of economies and have enough experience to see cycles.

I also know that a farmer can work countless hours to make a net profit of 40,000 a year while a person skilled in markets and trade and economics and business cyles can make 40,000 in 5 minutes. To a company of stock holders and investors... who is the more valuable? And who is going to be paid more?

If you are an investor in mutual funds, have saved money and put it into CDs, or even if you have the basic savings account...directly or indirectly... you are an investor and an employee that can generate 40,000 in 5 minutes is an asset and money maker...so you, the shareholders, the board, the company pay them more. Otherwise, they will be lured away to the competition and then they will be making 40,000 every 5 minutes or so.

However, the individual out front of the building cutting the grass. How much money did he make for the company? Has this individual offered up ideas to cut the costs of maintainance and grounds keeping? Has he come up with a means to improve performance and with no increase to payroll? Has he really shown a commitment in all aspects of his job... and weather... and random emergencies to be a real team player? If he has, then he moves up to supervisor. Maybe oneday, head of the entire maintainance dept. Maybe he goes to night school and gets a degree in business and economics. With some good ideas and some out of the box incite, he moves up to production and applies some of his innovative ideas there to help cut costs and improve production and profits.

If not...he will be cutting grass a few years from now.

Some will say..."That's not the real world." or "Those days are over."

Not true. I run into young people everyday that have started their own businesses.

One is selling and mounting used tires. He also buys piece of trash houses... little 900 sq ft shotgun shacks that dot the south, fixes them up, and then sells them or rents them. He does all the work himself. He learned the skills working for someone else... plumbing, carpentry,etc.

Another young woman has a mobile pet and horse grooming business... and she also cleans barns. She goes from one contract barn/ farm to the next cleaning stalls, feeding the horses, water...and while there... she grooms the animals, too. She is really busy during the vacation season.

Another young man has started his own recording business and record label online. He has several "paying gigs" a month, records and promotes, distributes, and sells his own CDs... literally doing it the old fashioned way. Driving from one outlet to the next with boxed CDs in the trunk and back seat. He has signed another artist... they promote each other and now tour together. By the way, a major regional label in Atlanta has invited him to go there and record... he makes extra money on the side cutting grass and raking yards. He is my son.

The point is that there are plenty of opportunities.. you have to be creative, find a niche in the market, and work hard... and do without for a while.

Most of the older middle class people here at ATS and elsewhere that are "poo pooed" remember being young, poor, wondering how the hell they were gonna make it starting out. One TV, one car, a small apartment or trailer.

The difference is now we have two TVs, two autos, and a larger home and we still wonder sometimes how the hell we are gonna make it.

But in an economy... an economy where people can excell or fail, where people can aspire to be what they want, work hard, be creative, and free to be free... there will be winners and losers... failures and success. Just because ou are down does not mean you have to stay there.

And that is the difference in people. Some will find every excuse to fail. Some will find every excuse to succeed. That is not to say be rich, but to be able to pay the bills, provide for the family, and be happy.

One of the worst things we started taching kids in school is that every one wins... there are no failures... no one left behind. The weakest always makes the team. Everybody gets a cookie and a star at the end of the day.

Nature and life is not like that... reality is not like that. So when they find this hard lesson out, it is traumatizing. Here is were Darwin steps in...the strong survive, people adapt, learn, recover, and go on. Those that do not get left behind and fade away.

Or, to put it in a John Wayne-ism..." Dust those britches off, pilgrim, and get back on your horse."

There will be those that decry such an attitude, but they are the ones crying for "redistribution of wealth", instead of making their own wealth.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

No one else has to the right to the fruits of my labor. Not you, not the government, not anyone. Especially when I have earned that money legitimately as opposed to receiving a bailout or crony capitalism.

However, if I choose to give my money to a person, group or charity, thats different.

Try to understand how real wealth is created and destroyed and why its so vital that our monetary system be reformed, something NO one else is talking about.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
It has already been done.....and FAILED, people died from famine.

Communal Property

In 1620 Plymouth Plantation was founded with a system of communal property rights. Food and supplies were held in common and then distributed based on equality and need as determined by Plantation officials. People received the same rations whether or not they contributed to producing the food, and residents were forbidden from producing their own food. Governor William Bradford, in his 1647 history, Of Plymouth Plantation, wrote that this system was found to breed much confusion and discontent and retard much employment that would have been to their benefit and comfort.

Faced with potential starvation in the spring of 1623, the colony decided to implement a new economic system. Every family was assigned a private parcel of land. They could then keep all they grew for themselves, but now they alone were responsible for feeding themselves. While not a complete private property system, the move away from communal ownership had dramatic results.

edit on 3/17/2012 by Sostratus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

You are the Future! You are beyond Intelligent! Never Give UP! You will make a big difference in our World!
Amy in NC

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by KwisatzHaderach

I have to agree and remember that the members of this site are middle class whites, who don't realize what it's like to be young or poor in this time period.

How can you honestly come off making a statement like this? Where's the proof?
You don't know any of our stories, I've been poor, I've been out of work for well over a year. So don't give me that bull about not knowing what it's like to be poor.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I agree! I am wide awake here in NC! I think you are an ANGEL too!

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

I'd be happy as a pig in slop right now to make less than minimum wage, just to get something in on a regular basis... but of course, that is illegal unless I happen to be an illegal alien undocumented worker.

TheRedneck

A guy thats seems as intelligent and wordly as you cannot find a job even at minimum wage?

And yet you still come on here defending the system?

Something isn't quite right.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Private companies need to be regulated.

That statement is the same as saying I need to be regulated. Each one of us here is a private individual, and this private individual likes the idea that I can go where I want and do what I want when I want. I for one do not need regulation.

So as soon as you say someone needs regulation, I have a problem.

I worked for a private company and the execs came and went as they pleased, with two hour lunches and went shopping, to the vets and spa with the company car.

That is their business. By abusing their privilege, they were stealing from the business owner, not from you. If you saw someone walk out of your neighbor's house and drive away in your neighbors truck, would you immediately report a stolen vehicle? I sincerely hope not, because it is possible the guy just bought the truck or it was a friend who borrowed it. You could not know everything about the situation.

By the same logic, do you know everything that exec did for the company? How many deals he closed with customers, how many man-hours he saved through increased productivity? No, you know what you saw, and in your context it looked like your employer was being ripped off and now you want to call the police. If he was actually such a bad exec, he would be let go or the business would fail.

Private business can not exist if it does not make a profit. Governments can exist without making a profit; they should not make a profit, for to do so would interfere with private business. Governments exist off the forced taxation of the citizenry, and without the requirement for profit or an actual owner or owners watching for that profit, they adhere to a different set of rules. There is no room for thinking outside the box if you work for the government; there is only adherence to established rules. Private business thinks outside the box and creates, innovates, improves society.

Thinking outside the box invites criticism by those who like the box. 'Nuff said?

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaoticf8
That or you could lobby your government to stop funding wars to make that top 1% so much money, and in turn spend all that war money on employing said 20 million people

Wars do put people to work, too though
edit on 17-3-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

You're right; something isn't quite right. what isn't quite right is the governmental regulations and taxations that have driven this country into the mess we see around us now. I defend private enterprise because it works; it has worked for 200 years. I do not defend the governmental mess because it is the sole major change that has coincided with the economic collapse.

So now someone thinks more of the very thing that has caused the problem is a solution? I think not.

Every time anyone says the word 'regulation', I cringe. Yeah, some are needed, hence my earlier reference to 'controlled capitalism'. Bur regulation is like salt; a pinch makes things better, while too much makes things worthless. We are not suffering from too little regulation, but too much in the wrong place. Banks must be regulated as they have, by their very nature, increased authority over the economy. Anti-trust laws are critical, since their absence can lead to excessive control over a segment of the economy and therefore increased economic authority. (A large part of our present problems can be attributed to a lack of anti-trust regulation; "too big to fail" should also mean "too big to exist" IMO.) I can even understand building codes and regulations against fraudulent statements. But regulations on pay scales? No, never, absolutely not! I for one do not trust the government to tell me what my time is worth; that is my decision.

I have recently found myself unemployed due to the economic spiral into Hades; did I cry and bemoan how the government needs to come to my rescue? No. I did take advantage of the government assistance programs to support my family, but I also went looking for part-time work, grunt work, side jobs, things I could make and sell, anything I could find to support us while I went back to school and retrained. Now I have a 20 hour-per-week gig as a paid math tutor at the college I attend, two part-time merchandising jobs, and do free-lance computer repair and construction projects while attending college full-time. I even picked up a programming job for another individual. Come May, I will have a degree in Computer Science and hopefully will be able to get my foot in the door with a decent company and again climb the ladder of success. Maybe I will have my own business again someday soon.

All at 50 years old. And I am considering continuing in school as well and getting that EE degree I abandoned 25 years ago because I wasn't able to see what I see now.

I do not need more regulation on what I do; I know what to do to get out of the mess I have found myself in. What I need now more than anything else is for the blooming government to get out of the way so I can achieve again.

Private industry is the throttle for the economy; governmental regulation is the brake. Get off the brake and push the gas if you want to speed it up.

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by indigo21

Thank you you make a good point to another part of the problem, and sorry to hear they screwed you over.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

If you followed the conversation I apologized, and changed my presumptuous word usage to some please read the entire thread before posting.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This title should be re-phrased to say "How Every American Can be Employed: Redistributing of Wealth from the 1%, so that the Same Mechanism Can Create A 0.1% to Put Us Back at Step One".

And then when someone insists that redistributing the wealth from the 0.1% becomes desirable, a 0.01% will be created, ad infinitum until the point that all currency is worthless and it will require two semi trailors worth to purchase a gallon of milk, but by then, the market will have dismissed that currency for a new, efficient currency, once again repeating the cycle from square one: economic inequality based on biological inequality.

You cannot control the economy [the economy is simply a mathematical convenience to quantify economic relationships between individuals], and if you try to, it will escape your grip through a black market.
edit on 17-3-2012 by imherejusttoread because: wording.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Good Morning RedNeck...you are my hero and the epitome of everything I have posted here at ATS.

Like you, I have had to start over many times, and everytime I rise to the occassion and reinvent myself.

Yesterday, when I went to work... my wife had a job...a damn good job. I had my retirement all laid out in about 12 years...and life was good.

When I came home last night from work, my wife had dinner on the table, had a sweet, wet kiss for me at the door, and she also had no more job.

So...like you at 50...we start over and have already crunched some numbers, have sat down and written a brief business paln and mission statement...and have as of this morning, talked to the economic and business developer at our bank..(they have Sat morning hours)...and by next spring our farm will become an agri-tourism business with campsites, horse riding trails, picnic areas...eventually a large picnic shelter and event hall for weddings, family reunions, and the like. Being beside a large recreational lake helps too.

Kudos to you sir...in the words of Buzz Lightyear..."To infinity and beyond!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join