It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lancashire chip shop forced to remove Union jack.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
As for the Dutch, I think I'm freeer and happier here than I ever was in the UK. The population is one third that of England yet they don't have anywhere near the level of violence and other nastiness here and please, no reference to Coffee Shops.

Bollocks.

By my calculations, the percentage of English people murdered per year is 0.00114%, and the percentage of people murdered in the Netherlands is 0.00106%.

There's no great difference there.

The Dutch also appear to have far more problems with the assimilation of ''outsiders'', with radical far-right parties gaining large footholds in the country, whereas similar parties in the UK are laughed out of the room.

The murder rate in England & Wales is the second-lowest in Europe. Only Germany is lower.

Although the murder rate in Scotland is the second-highest in Europe, after Finland.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by TheMindWar

But then, I didn't flaunt planning reg's then whine to the Daily Fail when I am caught out.

The chippy owners didn't flaunt planning regulations.

Freckleton Parish Council APPROVED the planning application. But then the loons at Fylde Borough Council said the chippy can't have that flag up for no other reason than it has "too many angles, triangles and colour".

However, I suspect that the REAL reason that Fylde Borough Council want them to take the flag down is because the loony Lefties at the council are worried that it might "offend ethnic minorities."

Those jobsworths should let the chippy fly the flag - the British Flag should be allowed to fly in Britain and if "minorities" don't like it, tough - and instead they should start concentrating on fixing potholes and emptying people's rubbish bins more often.

edit on 18-3-2012 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sicksicksick

This is the kind of silly nonsense to expect nowadays from our Lefty-run councils

Lol, always with the lefties. Afaik, Fylde BC is controlled by the tories and the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements Regulations 1992) was brought in under a Conservative government.

Edit: for the most up to date version see:Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements Regulations 2007).

told a family of a young boy that he must stop flying a skull and crossbones flag in his back garden when he plays pirates because "it breaches advertising laws."

Strange, a fella along my street has a Union Flag on a flag pole in his back garden. Maybe the kid you mention above really is a pirate and was touting for business.

Edit: Heres the local papers take: www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...
There quite obviously was no breach of Advertising Control and the Council (rightly) apologised. The relevant Daily Fail article states how the family had previously flown the St George Cross with NO problems.

councils nowadsays are more concerrneed with telling na chip snhop to not fly a Union Flag

The planners didnt say anything about flying a flag...they did have a few things to say about the size and style of a painted depiction ..not quite the same thing.

Next time you can't fit your rubbish into your wheelie bin because the council has decided that only fortnightly collections will suffice

Its a weekly collection where I live bud, maybe you need to move to a Labour run Council. But we do have the dreaded wheely bins.
edit on 18-3-2012 by joewalker because: extra info

edit on 18-3-2012 by joewalker because: More info

edit on 18-3-2012 by joewalker because: better link

edit on 18-3-2012 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sicksicksick

The chippy owners didn't flaunt planning regulations

Yes, they did.

Freckleton Parish Council APPROVED the planning application. But then the loons at Fylde Borough Council said the chippy can't have that flag up for no other reason than it has "too many angles, triangles and colour"

And part of the criteria is amenity value. The planning Inspectorate at Bristol also dismissed the appeal. Did you bother reading any of the last four pages?

However, I suspect that the REAL reason that Fylde Borough Council want them to take the flag down is because the loony Lefties at the council are worried that it might "offend ethnic minorities."

Loonie lefties and 'effnics'...have you ever been to Freckleton? My partner is from a village a cough n a spit down the road from there.

Those jobsworths should let the chippy fly the flag

And they will...with a slight re-design to meet planning regs the sign will be back...its in the last paragraph or so of the news report in the OP.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
As been mentioned, this is due to planning regulations, but planning regulations are an absolute nightmare in this country, another bureaucratic process that includes pretty much anything and everything when you read in to it. I understand certain planning such as high level extensions etc, but most fo the other modifications that fall in to planning regulation approval is absolute rubbish!

However, I can understand why people whould think this is to do with PC madness, as this country has had a very hard time with such instances in the last ten years with the Union flag (Union Jack is when its on board a ship) being taken down, also the St George's flag, but this was mostly during the Labour reign of terror and Labour's war on nationalism, which is actually the EU's war on nationalism, but that's another story.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretFace

Thing is Secret Face, StuMason has already posted about how easy it is to fly either the Union Flag or St George Cross (or any national flag) via a verticle flagpole and the 2007 regs are quite clear in its use for both advertising and residential use.
The guidelines clearly state nothing should be 'added or taken away' from whichever National flag you choose to fly and that is something which I'm in 100% agreement with.

If the sign in question was a flag, it would be 'called in'.

I'd def agree that some councils are being too vigorous in thier application of the Flag Regs, there was a recent report of an enforcement notice being given to a Pub over the flying of a pirate flag in its beer garden/ play area for example, tho I'd suspect in that particular case the Council was worried about missing out on any application fees

I see the Planning Regs as an attempt to limit unsuitable development/ advertising practices, I love the Tokyo city scape/ neon advertising look, but would that be suitable in a semi rural town in derpest, darkest Lancashire?
Would people be happy with an anything goes policy?

edit on 20-3-2012 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-3-2012 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join