It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lancashire chip shop forced to remove Union jack.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Well if planning permission was applied for then they should have waited before having the design manufactured.
No I would not be surprsed by what is classed as listed - Just surprised they ever got past planning.
Some wonderful buildings were torn down in the 60s replaced by souless boxes.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm English, from Manchester, a major town in Lancashire.

Having viewed the picture on the linked website, I have to agree with the planners decision. It's oversized, and overgaudy, and the text on it is unreadable.

In fact, I don't believe its legally a Union Flag anymore, since they defaced it with all that unreadable text. At least they are dsiplaying it the correct way round. Too many people fly it backwards.

My understanding of the law is that you can fly the flag, on a tempoary basis, whenever you want, but in order to permanently fly the flag, you need planning permission, because it then classes as signage.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

It depends on the size of the flag and where you want to fly it as to whether you need planning permission. For example, if you had a flag pole on the front of a private property or business, this would need planning permission but one placed within the grounds of a property probably wouldn't, depending on it's size.

This is further confused in that the flying of "national flags" has been removed from Local Authority control since 1994, saying "Any national flag may be flown on a single vertical flagstaff, so long as it does not have anything added to the design of the flag or any advertising material added to the flagstaff" without planning permission.

Other flags, however, fall under advertising regulations as well as planning, so as much as you would need permission for a billboard, you also need one for a flag that wasn't a national one.

But... To further confuse people..

If a company/business occupies a building, they are permitted to fly a flag on a single flag pole on the roof showing their corporate logo etc without permission..

It;s a minefield of legal nonsense, so it is always best to consult with the planning officers and also local residents before erecting something. Many planning officers are more than happy to advise on the best ways to get approval, that is after all their job. They are not there to be busy bodies and are usually quite helpful..

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thetawave

I would tell them where to go, period.

It i want to fly my countries flag then no one is ever going to stop me. What are they going to do next, shoot people waving flags outside buckingham palace?

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

You have totally misunderstood the issue here and, it would appear, totally ignored several pages of discussion where it has been made clear that this sign was asked to be removed because it failed planning regulations, not because it had the flag on.

If anything, the gaudy design and general tackiness is an insult to the flag.

I have flown both the Union flag and St.Georges Cross for many years before and never once got asked to remove them. And I lived in a "multi-cultural" area.... But then, I didn't flaunt planning reg's then whine to the Daily Fail when I am caught out.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
There's something fishy about all this.
Easy to batter the sign when the chips are down - some people have no taste

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
To be honest if anyone said anything negative about my fish and chip shop, id batter 'em

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
At first I was like 'wtf, you can't ask someone to take down a union flag in england'

But then I saw how they used it on their sign and its just god awful ugly,
if you want to use a national flag on your businesses sign, then actually make it look good.

This sign looks like it was thrown together in MS-Paint, not even Photoshop

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Well you could argue beauty on the high street and eye sore land marks etc, but the idea was to get the place remembered and like it or not, all things considered for what a sign should do its a pretty good sign!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Aye, the sole problem with the sign was its eelegallity...I cod'nt believe anyone would have put such a fin on their plaice.

Sorry.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris

Having viewed the picture on the linked website, I have to agree with the planners decision. It's oversized, and overgaudy, and the text on it is unreadable.

I agree, it's not even a flag, it's a cheap looking, gaudy, humungous sign.
My goodness, I wonder what their home is like?
It's a load of CODSwallop. But you can guarantee the Daily Fail will take the bait.
edit on 18-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
To be honest if anyone said anything negative about my fish and chip shop, id batter 'em

Should we take your remark with a pinch of salt

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10

Originally posted by BMorris

I agree, it's not even a flag, it's a cheap looking, gaudy, humungous sign.
My goodness, I wonder what their home is like?
It's a load of CODSwallop. But you can guarantee the Daily Fail will take the bait.
edit on 18-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

Maybe it is not the Fish n Chip's shop fault -
Perhaps the Union Flag itself is gaudy and needs a redesign
Red and Blue clash so and those sharp angles look hideous = perhaps a nice shade of Magnolia on Orange with wavy purple lines running through horizontally.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
i dont think theres anything wrong with it, its well known know and unique everything a flag should be.

Its use on huge advertisements however might need to be limited a little, however i hear no one talking about the adverts on tv featuring huge union jack flags (like the makeup one).

To be absolutely honest, why would that be a problem if you dont like it, dont get your fish and chips from there, theres no crime beyond a little dissatisfaction.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
National Pride Is an important right. Hanging a flag of your mother country in your mother country, is a no-brainer.

If I were a conspiracy theorist. This is to thwart anti-government gatherings. Just a guess.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

If I were a conspiracy theorist. This is to thwart anti-government gatherings. Just a guess.

Your guess would be wrong Matthew. Its actually about a contravention of the planning laws...which, after trawling through the facts, most people understand and have now moved on to piss-taking.

edit on 18-3-2012 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This is the kind of silly nonsense to expect nowadays from our Lefty-run councils. It was only recently that some council - in Lincolnshire, I think - told a family of a young boy that he must stop flying a skull and crossbones flag in his back garden when he plays pirates because "it breaches advertising laws."

Our roads are covered in potholes and many areas have their rubbish collected only once a fortnight but, rather than concentrating on these important things and doing something about them, councils nowadays are more concerned with telling a chip shop to not fly a Union Flag because the flag has "too many angles, triangles and colour".

Next time you can't fit your rubbish into your wheelie bin because the council has decided that only fortnightly collections will suffice, and then the council fines you for "leaving bags of rubbish on the pavement", then just think to yourself WHY the council is not bothered about collecting your rubbish: because it's too busy telling British chippies to remove British flags and telling children that they can't fly Jolly Rogers in their gardens..
edit on 18-3-2012 by Sicksicksick because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by intrepid

It represents racism, colonialism and cronyism of the worst order, imho.

No, it doesn't. It represents the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

When I want Fish & Chips, or anything else for that matter, the last thing I want to see are signs of Faux Nationalism. Stuff the Union Flag, it's "their" symbol not "ours".

So what? The vast majority of people aren't bothered. The only people who are bothered are self-hating Lefties and the PC Loons.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Wow - if they think one flag is "too busy" they're really, really not going to like it during the Queen's Diamond Jubilee or the London Olympics now, are they?

Yeah. The PC Brigade are going to have coronaries this year.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join