It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lancashire chip shop forced to remove Union jack.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

'Bizarre intuition'? The fact it's the town I live in and lots of things have had to change, such as the introduction of a publicly paid mosque, then yes, i've experienced this first hand. Not once did I mention my intuition, which as it happens is quite on the ball

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

I'm just tired of getting shot down for speaking about what is going on in front of all our eyes, I feel like I have to treat everything with kid gloves

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm glad you illustrated the fact that all the monarchies are inter-related. Perhaps the German thing was a little bit too simplified but does it not strike you as odd that they are all inter-related? A bid to maintain control, power and money perhaps, across time and space? (Just like the Dutch and other monarchies to be clear).

When was the last time you or your family (or mine for that matter) married someone for political and/or financial reasons? I am a mix of English, Welsh and (according to the tiny bit of personal family history I was told) Irish blood. Not to mention Roman, Anglo-Saxon, Norman and quite possibly Viking blood.

As for the Dutch, I think I'm freeer and happier here than I ever was in the UK. The population is one third that of England yet they don't have anywhere near the level of violence and other nastiness here and please, no reference to Coffee Shops. That is, according to statistics, just 10% of the population who frequent such establishments. They like to drink here just as much as the Brits but maybe the fact pubs aren't forced to close has an effect on behaviour, among other things? I'm not a pub-goer so will admit I don't really know but I do know from personal experience just how bad things can be in the UK. Now, ask yourself why that is for a culture which is largely similar to that of the UK but geographically removed by 50 or maybe 100 miles of sea.

(PS The Dutch Queen ain't worth a hill of beans either, imo
) I merely stated my personal opinion on the matter and you took exception to it. Have fun waving your flag on Jubilee Day though.

edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Ok, I am glad you have taken it on-board and acknowledged the over-simplification! And you're right, everyone in England is a mongrel and the same goes for the bulk of the Scottish, Welsh and Irish populations as well. our islands have seen waves of migrants over the years, all adding to the rich tapestry that is our nation. I only take exception to the whole "German Queen" thing because it is just silly and you might as well extrapolate that out to say anyone with a hint of "foreign" in their bloodline isn't British, which would just about include everyone!

As for Crime in the Netherlands compared to the UK, it is entirely subjective. We have a larger population, in many, much larger cities so it stands to reason, with the densely packed populations, crime is going to be higher. That said, it isn't that much higher than the Netherlands and there are places which are as bad, if not worse, than places in the UK.

A lot of what people think about crime is influenced by 24hr media which gives the perception of lots of crime, but violent crime has been steadily falling for decades, despite an increasing population.

I would also disagree you're any more "free" in the Netherlands than the UK. Again, it's down to a perception that is usually not rooted in any kind of fact. I am interested in what you think you can do in the Netherlands (aside from the obvious which I am envious for) that you cannot do in the UK.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Ah yes, the good old high horse. You seem so indoctrinated and so "Up the monarchy" that I almost find it worrying. I concede nothing, including my right to criticise what I perceive as great injustice inflicted upon nations for...centuries if not aeons.

As for freedom, well we are forced to carry ID cards (which I do NOT do out of principle even though it carries a fine as punishment), free to live and work in any EU country, free to drink in bars till either 2am or 4am (like I said I'm not a pub goer but I don't think my figures are that far out) and I am free to think what I like.
Free to not be spied upon by over-zealous "Intelligence" agencies, free to dress and appear how I choose without being judged, free to be a foreigner without fear of reprisals...oh I'm sure you will say these are all perceptions again but does it really matter when they are, for all intents and purposes, true?

Envious? Of this besmirched country and its sinful ways? Sir, you do England an injustice.

ETA I think we are getting quite OT for this thread though.
edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
As for the Dutch, I think I'm freeer and happier here than I ever was in the UK. The population is one third that of England yet they don't have anywhere near the level of violence and other nastiness here and please, no reference to Coffee Shops.

Bollocks.

By my calculations, the percentage of English people murdered per year is 0.00114%, and the percentage of people murdered in the Netherlands is 0.00106%.

There's no great difference there.

The Dutch also appear to have far more problems with the assimilation of ''outsiders'', with radical far-right parties gaining large footholds in the country, whereas similar parties in the UK are laughed out of the room.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

All of those things you can do in the UK, minus the compulsory ID cards!

We have 24hr licensing, no compulsory ID, we can wear what we like (not sure why you think different), free to be a "foreigner", whatever that means...

What was your point?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimbowsk

So, once again, give us any kind of substantial evidence which would support your claim.

It doesn't matter how close you live to the area. I could claim that there were satanic rituals at my local park, and, in the absence of any kind of facts, it would still bobble along as some kind of a ''fact'' on this website.

Please provide any evidence which may successfully contradict the story as reported...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thetawave

The Flag had been up for decades untill one person complained. and then down it comes.

Yup.

That's about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

Ah yes, the good old high horse. You seem so indoctrinated and so "Up the monarchy" that I almost find it worrying. I concede nothing, including my right to criticise what I perceive as great injustice inflicted upon nations for...centuries if not aeons.

As for freedom, well we are forced to carry ID cards (which I do NOT do out of principle even though it carries a fine as punishment), free to live and work in any EU country, free to drink in bars till either 2am or 4am (like I said I'm not a pub goer but I don't think my figures are that far out) and I am free to think what I like.
Free to not be spied upon by over-zealous "Intelligence" agencies, free to dress and appear how I choose without being judged, free to be a foreigner without fear of reprisals...oh I'm sure you will say these are all perceptions again but does it really matter when they are, for all intents and purposes, true?

Envious? Of this besmirched country and its sinful ways? Sir, you do England an injustice.

ETA I think we are getting quite OT for this thread though.
edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

Great - but in England, i'm free to go clubbing, without an ID card, I'll go clubbing 'til 6am, then go to an afterparty until say late afternoon without any form of identification, happily buying as much booze as I want.

I'm sorry your clubs close so early.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
wow that looks budget! O_o

WTH were they thinking?

They totally defaced the flag by printing all over it....

Hint: why don't you get a pair of REAL flags, fly them off the eave of your storefront and make a catchy sign with your biz info on it in place of what's there now.

just my .02

I'm all for biz owners having freedom of expression but that, IMO is a major fail

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Nope, it really isnt.

Planning permission for the sign (with painted flags) was submitted in Jan 2011...so a year rather than decades.

The Inspectors report states visual intrusion due to the size and gaudy nature of the sign as well as noting that:

The two crosses, in this ratio, are incongruous and contrary to vexillological tradition.

www.pcs.planningportal.gov.uk...

I think he means they are the wrong shape lol..though the Inspector sees nothing wrong with the depiction of the Union Flag.
Its a big, lit sign within a parade of shops, but on a residential street and quite a change from what was there before. Reading between the lines, the biggest problem may be found in the middle of para 2.

Always, always, ask the local planning office for advice before you spend money on design and installation.

edit on 16-3-2012 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by joewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I sometimes go to this chip shop for my lunch, and let me tell you its in the middle of dinosaur town, average age must be 60+ , I am shocked that it is because of the flag , maybe the size. Nothing a good brief could'nt sort out IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

And testicles to you Sir.
Now explain how violence = murder, if you can. The one does not necessarily lead to the other. Your argument is fail, good night.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

24 hour licensing was not a feature for pubs when I left the UK 20 years ago. From what I have heard, (I'll admit it could be wrong, outdated, etc) pubs still have to close at...10:30pm? Oh look, wiki says they changed it in 2005.

Do feel free to have the last word btw. I shall ignore your next reply from this thread in order to facilitate your desire.

edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Never been to a club in my life.
Not about to start now so have all the fun you want! I can smoke in my club and the beer is cheap and no obnoxious people (not a reference to you in case you might think that) are allowed inside my club. My music is way better too.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Sounds like they just have a chip on their shoulder...

But yeah, relax, does it matter? With a bit of luck they'll be taking the blue part out anyway soon, so they'd have to change it anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
ha ha ha i am a scot living in Australia guess what is in the corner of the national flag ? well its a union flag this country is multi cultural banning the flag would be like banning the American union flag !! as long as this country is part of the commonwealth i think they will keep the flag the native people here want their own flag but thats another story

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

. . . any flag would look cheap and nasty above the entrance to a chip shop, not just that one.

My guess is that he was trying to circumvent the sign regulations by claiming the flag did not constitute a "sign", and that only the printing should be considered as a "sign" proper, where the concern is a limit to the size of a sign which is allowed.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I'm not quite sure how I could do that, funnily enough things like that aren't printed in the local paper. I'm not asking you to take my word for it, if you think I'm lying then so be it.

Quite ironic being asked to provide evidence by someone called 'Sherlock Holmes'

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join