It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sir David Petraeus, Ret General Knighted by Dutch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It seems I hear more and more about government officials picking up foreign titles these days.

The American General David Petraeus was appointed today at the Ministry of Defence the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Orange Nassau with swords.
Petraeus received this high royal honors in recognition of his outstanding services to the Netherlands during his various military commanding posts, especially during the mission in Afghanistan.

I found this interesting. I didn't know he was Dutch.

The former four-star general, who as the son of a Dutch father Frisian roots has received his decorations in the presence of Dutch (old) and his military colleagues Frisian relatives. Commissioner of the Province of Friesland Jorritsma John handed the General’s family tree dating back to the year 1599.

Petraeus responded enthusiastically to his award, he praised the good cooperation with the Netherlands and the quality of the Dutch soldiers. He shut off applicable in Dutch: “The Netherlands, for ever!”

Source 1
Source 2

I guess they can get around this:

Article I, Section 9, Clause 8:

No title of nobility shall be granted by the United States: and no person holding any office of profit or trust under them, shall, without the consent of the Congress, accept of any present, emolument, office, or title, of any kind whatever, from any king, prince, or foreign state.

Nobility Clause, US Constitution

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

The Nederlandsche vrijmetselaars almanak for 1818 shows the strong connection between Freemasonry and the House of Orange Nassau.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.
ETA Didn't he get the nick-name General BetrayUs? Sounds about right too.

edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Thanks for that info. Does anyone know if Patraeus was already a Mason?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

Can't find any reference on the web but then I doubt the masons publish lists of high raking members for all the world to see. Just a guess though. I never realised he was director of the CIA so I suppose it would be safe to assume that he at least has "contacts".

edit on 16/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

new topics

top topics

join