It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS to buy 450 million rounds of ammo...why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
ATK Secures .40 Caliber Ammunition Contract with Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE)

ANOKA, Minn., March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- ATK /quotes/zigman/217145/quotes/nls/atk ATK +0.25% announced that it is being awarded an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) agreement from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE) for .40 caliber ammunition. This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds.

Seem like a bit errr much for a department which does nothing.

Well ICE is under DHS right? But do border guards really need 450 MILLION rounds? And thats just .40 caliber. Im sure they have other caliber guns as well.

Something isnt right here. Theyre getting ramped up for something BIG.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Uh Coast Guard and Secret Service are a few agencies under the DHS so I can imagine a lot of ammo is needed.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

i read that the obama administration is trying to ban lead bullets. maybe they are trying to buy before it happens?
edit on 16-3-2012 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
450 million bullets? How many people in the USA?
I suppose they will miss a few times here and there.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

As is the TSA and their VIPER Teams.

The US isnt safe anymore. Government gone wild.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Good point. I'm a pretty fast runner so they'll probably miss me on the first couple of tries, hopefully..

edit on 16-3-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Maybe it's that time again for the agencies that carry to re-certify. That much ammo would be a fun afternoon at the range
Since it's nearly spring and outdoor ranges kinda suck in the winter.... or they might be preparing for the zombie apocalypse

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
They aren't actually going to buy 450 million rounds. The clue is in the type of contract.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is a mechanism for having an ammo supplier on retainer to avoid having to keep running competitive tenders every time some department needs more ammo.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonkrh
reply to post by gladtobehere

i read that the obama administration is trying to ban lead bullets. maybe they are trying to buy before it happens?
edit on 16-3-2012 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

OMG, that's treason - yet another constitutional U turn against his oath of office. Even if he could have been born in HI that's LO.

edit on 3/16/2012 by reitze because: fix quote

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

ANOKA, Minn., March 12, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- ATK /quotes/zigman/217145/quotes/nls/atk ATK +0.25% announced that it is being awarded an Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) agreement from the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS, ICE) for .40 caliber ammunition. This contract features a base of 12 months, includes four option years, and will have a maximum volume of 450 million rounds.

Key word there is "maximum." Doesn't mean they're actually buying 450 million rounds, it means they can't buy any more than that without signing a new contract. The number makes the manufacturer look good in a press release--which is what this is--but doesn't tell us anything about what kind of business the customer actually plans on doing. Except that it's less than 450 million rounds of .40 caliber over the next five years.

Seem like a bit errr much for a department which does nothing.

Coast Guard, ICE, CBP, Secret Service, all these agencies do nothing? But it looks like the contract is with ICE only, not the entire department.

Well ICE is under DHS right? But do border guards really need 450 MILLION rounds?

ICE aren't border guards. The Border Patrol is under CBP.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
As well as these other agencies under DHS.....seems normal to me....

Agencies:

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services: Processes and examines citizenship, residency, and asylum requests from aliens.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection: Law enforcement agency that enforces U.S. laws along its international borders (air, land, and sea) including its enforcement of U.S. immigration, customs, and agriculture laws while at and patrolling between all U.S. ports-of-entry.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: Law enforcement agency divided into two bureaus:

1.An agency that enforces U.S. laws while it investigates and gathers intelligence on national and international criminal activities that threaten the security of the homeland (Homeland Security Investigations); and

2.An agency that investigates violations of the Immigration and Nationality Act and enforces the detention, deportation and removal of violators of United States immigration law (Enforcement and Removal Operations).

Transportation Security Administration: Responsible for aviation security (domestic and international, most notably conducting passenger screenings at airports), as well as land and water transportation security

United States Coast Guard: Military service responsible for law enforcement, maritime security, national defense, maritime mobility, and protection of natural resources.[12]

United States Secret Service: Law enforcement agency that investigates threats against and provides protective services for the President and Vice President of the United States and their immediate families as well as other important governmental officials. It also investigates crimes against the U.S. monetary system including the crime of counterfeiting U.S. currency and other financial instruments.

Federal Emergency Management Agency: agency that oversees the federal government's response to natural disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, forest fires, etc.

WIKI

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I think the United States is coming to terms that it has pissed off the poeple that keep them employed. I believe the DHS is preparing for major "domestic terrorism". Although we all know, the right to bear arms is to help destroy the government when it is no longer the people's. They know this and are counter preparing.

My best guess.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

Alternatively they need ammo to supply the tens of thousands of people that carry a service weapon for training/carry purposes. Even if the 450 million total were reached that's a relatively low number if you factor in training. Especially over 4 years time. This is a non issue. If anything I would hope that LE would get more bullets, train better and be better equipped if they had a shootout. I would imagine every dept. and field office also has reserves in the armory. I really just don't see the issue.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yes. I did jump on the topic and not the issue. Its my honest mistake. Ill try not to let it happen again.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

My first thought also.

Scary.

I am not laughing.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
450 million bullets? How many people in the USA?
I suppose they will miss a few times here and there.

450 million rounds/ about 313 million in the US. Combined with what they have on hand, means everybody gets a double tap. Actually, if you look at all the various departments under the DHS, no one department will get a massive amount.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Target practice? I dunno, but I doubt anything sinister. Every now and then the feds buy a huge quantity of some caliber ammo for whatever reason. I'll never forget 5 or 6 years ago going into the gun shop and my usual $115 case of Wolf FMJ 7.62x39 was $250.

They had bought up all they could to supply Iraq and Afghanistan. Pissed me off so I just dipped into the reserves and bought up more when it went back to $4 a box.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
DHS to buy 450 million rounds of ammo...why?

They're trying to outgun US civilians.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Maybe their getting ready for the Alien invasion, and the more rounds they have the better chance they have at fighting them off. Who knows. Interesting though, I guess that leaves the local state department and local law enforcement without ammo, if Homeland is hoarding the ammo. Guess, their going to have to resort to their tasers and batons to fend for themselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Reply to post by AaronWilson

ATS is one site of MANY that has alot of anti-TPTB gab. TPTB are seeing the light, but as usual instead of bowing out gracefully They plan on standing their ground. I hate guns but I hope the citizens that own them stock up as well.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<<   2 >>

join