It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Consoles Dead?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The traditional games business is worth around $25 billion a year, so the obvious answer to the question of whether or not consoles are dead, is a resounding 'what the hell are you talking about?'

Not only, but consoles are freakin' awesome. They are built to play games. Certainly, they are ugly brutes, hideous noisy boxes, but by all that is holy, they make life good. This is why talk of their 'death' is so upsetting.

Nevertheless, talk we must.

It's true that consoles move through existence with every sign of vitality, but there are suggestions of an inner sickness, a sense of impending dilapidation. Sorrow awaits.

IGN

Personally after soo many years of declining pc game quality and constant talk of pc being dead I am happy to see this news. The usefullness of a limited function device has gone the way of the dodo and the industry knows it. The consoles are soo far behind pc in performance that there is no way they can build the next gen without the cost being soo high that people would be insane to not buy a pc that provides soo many more functions than simply gaming or watching netflix. Sony and Microsoft have lost 10 BILLION since 2000!!!!! I dont think the consoles are yet fully in the grave but when, and if, the next gen comes out it may not be what people expected.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
If we remain on the path we are currently on, PC will certainly die and the consoles will live.

The reason being, the consoles are a little harder manipulate because you cannot really access the file system. The consoles serve a useful purpose for TPTB, it helps prevent tampering. In the PC world, the ability to do things has the sky as the limit, but the consoles are very restrictive. I have found that if I wanted to "modify" a game or something it was relatively easy to do on a PC with the know how, but the consoles do prevent this for the most part.

As long as the people do not mind being restricted with their computer abilities then the consoles will survive. The PCs offer a whole other world to do things, and in a lot of cases, certain manufacturers do not like the idea, which is why the consoles are pushed more heavily than the PCs. Personally, I prefer PCs, but each have their pros and cons.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

i think that consoles will come down in price but you'll have more pay-to-play so that if you fancy a weekend of some game then you'll pay x for the ability to join your mates for a weekend of mayhem and so long as they dont make it too silly they'll probably make a profit as theres currently no money to make for second hand games so perhaps a price reduction but a cunning cost to keep repeat custom may be the way

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Well, though you can adapt a PC to feel like a console... there is no substitute for holding that nice cool controller in your fingers after a hard day of work.

My fear is that old, true console gaming id dead... The SNES is the best console made IMO. And yet here we are, trying to make games--that 95% of the time end up sucking anyway. Consoles try too hard to be PC games, with improved graphics and what not, multiplayer gaming... it sickens me. Let the PC be a PC--with thousands of players at once and good graphics. On the same note, let me have my consoles where I can have good 'ol couch co-op.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Dunno if consoles are dead, but with the increasing greed of game companies who want nothing but money, and have no passion for creating good games, and by this have been making games for consoles then shoddily porting them to the PC, it seems more to me that the PC is dying a slow death via derpification by games being made for consoles first. And consoles are by and large for derps who want limited options, linear play, and no thinking involved.

Not to mention that horse # DRM schemes like steam ruin PC games for those who do not take kindly to the kind of crap they force on game buyers, like inability to resell, possibly required internet connection at all times, forcing a steam log in, etc, which is not what PC games, especially single play games, need.

Skyrim comes to mind as a super example of a butchered game due to first being made for the console derp crowd, then given a hack-job port, THEN being forced to use a third party program (steam).

No freaking wonder piracy is prevalent in the game community... its because of the developers/publishers. I couldnt even think of buying a game blind anymore these days; I would have to try it out first. 9/10ths of the time the game wont live up to hype anyway, and if it does, 9/10ths of the time itll be a game thats pretty much been done before, but with updated graphics.

The PC game market really took a turn for the worse in about 2005, IMO, and its just gotten worse little by little ever since. And as long as people still buy games from these companies, theyll continue to churn out the same crap.

Truly GOOD games are getting rarer and rarer.

Sorry for the rant

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I still have not upgraded from my Nintendo 64. Was thinking about buying a system this year. I like strategy games so PC gaming is suitable for me..but I do like some of the sports games that I have played on my nephews' 360.

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker

The consoles are soo far behind pc in performance that there is no way they can build the next gen without the cost being soo high that people would be insane to not buy a pc that provides soo many more functions than simply gaming or watching netflix. Sony and Microsoft have lost 10 BILLION since 2000!!!!! I dont think the consoles are yet fully in the grave but when, and if, the next gen comes out it may not be what people expected.

I own and play on a Playstation 3. To be honest I think it's amazing, with full HD graphics. The days of squinting while playing on your television are over. Personally to upkeep your computer with the latest and greatest video card just so you can play a newer game is very expensive, not to mention the processor that you might have to replace to play it as well. There are plus and negative sides to both PC or console gaming.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Well, though you can adapt a PC to feel like a console... there is no substitute for holding that nice cool controller in your fingers after a hard day of work.

You can use both the PS3 and Xbox controllers on pc.

But really I know its not the same unless you have your pc connected to your tv.
edit on 16-3-2012 by FreeSpeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
pc gaming is dead.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
pc gaming is dead.

By "pc" we are covering things like Iphones and Ipads etc. In the article it talks of the free-to-play pc stuff being the real monster. 500 million playing AngryBirds and 25 million playing COD. Sure these ftp games are free but people always spend a few bucks buying some dlc so its easy to imagine how much money they are making.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I think PCs will evolve into consoles and consoles into PCs. Eventually, I don't think there will be a distinction. I imagine that within the next couple of console generations (PS4/XBOXwhatever), consoles will fill in many of the gaps that PCs fill like web surfing and basic document management. Already you can see that with the PS3 (before they took away Linux) and even the Macs are pretty much already consoles. Look at the iPad! It's pretty much a little bit of everything.

I think PC users will eventually be regulated into small groups who need the flexibility for work or who simply like to work on them.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Personally after soo many years of declining pc game quality

Maybe you should just stop looking at the mainstream market. Forget Bethesda, EA, Activision and the other companies who only puke out sequel after sequel.
There is big, a very big, independent scene that still releases amazing games, bring out new ideas, are innovative and those games are even really cheap. Steam is a good source to get your hands on some of the best Independent games and i have more fun with them than with Crap of Duty or all the other boring mainstream stuff.

Also:

The PC has been declared dead for over 20 years. It was declared dead when the Playstation 1 arrived, when Dreamcast arrived, when the PS2 arrived and when Microsoft jumped into the console business. It was even declared dead on arrival because there was no chance in hell that it could compete with the Amiga or the video game consoles, somehow it still managed to survived, destroyed the Amiga and survived several console generations, always the forerunner for innovations (modding scene, online gameplay, new genres, technological innovations and improvements)
It's still there and while some Games may not be released for the PC (like Red Dead Redemption, NHL 12, Brütal Legend to name a few) it still gets more than enough games.
Also some games aren't made for consoles. First Person Shooters, Third Person Shooters, Strategy games will never really work on a console. The whole Pro-Gaming scene relies on the PC, the whole MMO-scenes relies on the PC and the most popular online games are basically PC only (World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2...)

And consoles also don't go anywhere. They are way, way too popular. With every Generation more and more consoles are sold. I don't see a reason why it should suddenly stop

The only thing that will die out are Handheld systems. I would even be surprised if there are 1 or 2 new Game Boy Generations after the failure called 3DS. Smartphones are way more popular

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Are Consoles Dead?

No, but market saturation in the industry is pointing to another crash like in 83.
Sony is in financial trouble right now and the future is looking grim for them, if anyone drops from the console market it will be them.The direction Microsoft's taking with their new system is almost scary, it probably will not have:
-used game support
-cheap x box live (you'll be paying double what you are now to use your OWN internet connection)
-a disk drive
Taking this into account and the fact that their new OS is rumored to support x-box games, it's not hard to see what they're planing to do next gen.
Nintendo has a foothold on the casual market and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.Nintendo has 900 billion yen in the bank

edit on 17-3-2012 by thatonedude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
for me consoles are dying not died, there are more consoles like ps3,xbox360 and wii, the good thing about pc all supported consoles can be played through emulators and roms.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The next gen consoles, from what i've been reading up, are gonna be the downfall of console gaming. Or at least from what i think. A lot of things i already dont like on Sony and Microsoft. The Wii U is starting to sound promising, i cant wait for it!!!
edit on 30-4-2012 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Aktulu

What makes you say this about Sony/Microsoft?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkDefender

Both have made motions to completely quash used game sales, which will most certainly piss off a lot of gamers, myself included. I don't always buy games right when they come out because I like to get a little review time in before making a decision (like DNF...puke) but if I have to pay full price and can't get a second hand copy then no thanks

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Very true.. I don't think they'll fully be able to wipe out the used games because as you said this will piss off a solid 80% of gamers. Kind of like Microsoft toyed with the notion of purely downloadable and digital release for their next-gen console before seeing the pure outrage gamers and changing their mind. But I agree, and the stupid "online pass" one-time use codes already annoy me so much as they add an instant $10 hike to any used game.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
no, they will just keep rolling them out like they have done over the past 20 years.

consoles are cool

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
reply to post by DarkDefender

Both have made motions to completely quash used game sales, which will most certainly piss off a lot of gamers

Which sucks because, if i downloaded from the next xbox or playstation console, i would be stuck with that game and like it or not i would have no choice but to play it. I'm glad that nintendo havent done a thing like this and i hope that it never comes to this with that console. I'm not trying to hate on sony or microsoft, i own both consoles but recently my ps3 ylod on me a while back.

I guess its time to get back into PC gaming, gotta save up a bit for it though if you want a good gaming pc. A PC would be more reliable than consoles. As i said my ps3 ylod on me, its about the 3rd time i reflowed it. I think it finally pooped on me.
My brothers ps3 ylod also, reflowed and i dont know how long that will last
edit on 2-5-2012 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2012 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join