It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmic Burst on the Dark Side of Earth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
On the 12th at 1600 UTC, Earth's dark side was hit with powerful cosmic rays. Your guess is as good as mine as to where from, but it seems highly unlikely if not impossible that they came from the Sun. I can't find a time that this has happened before. Can anyone explain this?
Scroll down this page for a description of the graphs shown.

I'm going out of town and won't be able to check back til tonight, but I thought this really needed an explanation.
edit on 16-3-2012 by FelixFelicis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Quite interesting. Perhaps they are from some distant supernova or pulsar or Quazer that was temporarily pointed at us. Or perhaps it come from the center of the galexy. Great find S&F

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I have absolutley no idea !!

Can't wait to hear some of the possible explanations to this and what it could mean and how to read the data

Star and Flag for this

edit on 16-3-2012 by dragonsrreal because: Typo change

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pegasus2000

I read about a cosmic blast at the center of the galaxy once, so that's certainly a possibility for now. Does anyone know of any good public radars that show distant objects. Based on the video animation, it was directly opposite the Sun.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
to me it seems that the CME just normally surrounded earth...not that its coming from the back...but im no expert

edit on 16-3-2012 by heineken because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
At the end of last summer while l was lying in my bed with my laptop, i saw a huge star suddenly pop up on the sky.

I have a window with full view to a small part of the sky on my left, facing north north east, location Copenhagen.

I cought it in the corner of my eye, and faced it, and it was big, it stayed there for like 4 or 5 seconds and then diappeard slowly, stationary all the time.

I see planes in that view daily, and when hanging out the window i can sometimes spot satellites,this was niether of those, my first thought was a supernova, but my second thought was, i can't be that lucky.

A strange one, unfortunately i can't remember the date,I think it was in August, but not sure.
But could be cool if related

edit on 16-3-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If it hit the dark side it's not from the sun.

Can you do better than 'cosmic'

No gamma ray bursts on the 12th per grb.sonoma.edu...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Saw this video earlier, very interesting.
What puzzles me is that ours isnt the only planet in our solar system having these kimds of issues.

We know mars is warming up, we are seeing comets all over the solar system. We are seeing comets flying into planets like schu-lev. We saw the rings of saturn smashed by an unknown object. We have seen venus hit a couple of times. We have seen the American government stating "fireballs are now classified".

We now know most solar systems are binary systems. I also believe that in some binary systems one of the stars may have collapsed, if this is the case why should our solar system be any different?

So, if our solar system is a binary system, where would our other sun be? Could it be that our second sun collapsed millions of years ago into a black hole?

The changes occuring in our solar system are systematic of a dark star.

edit on 16-3-2012 by TheMindWar because: Add info

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

I'm not sure what you mean by "can you do better than 'cosmic' ".

Edit: Maybe someone who starred your post can explain.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Cosmic Rays are actually subatomic particles most often a proton. Unlike other forms of radiation cosmic rays are affected by magnetic fields so that the direction from which they enter our atmosphere is not the direction in which they were produced. The auroras are caused by Earth's magnetic field funneling cosmic rays to the poles.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
was this event a hiccup of WR 104...a Star that is on a verge of doing a GRB (gamma ray burst) in our Solar System's direction...with the Earth as a direct target ?

an older but timely event scenario...read it and 'think'

blogs.discovermagazine.com...
edit on 16-3-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Someone posted this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although it happened on the 10th, it may have some significance to this.

The poster said - quote

Guys, something weird is happening over Glastonbury UK.
Was a Huge flash of Light in the sky, and now the sky has turned RED.
There is the sound Of rain outside. YET NO ##SNIP## RAIN. WTF IS GOING ON!?

Now the funny thing is, when this happened it was the early hours of the morning here in the UK.

My wife woke up at around this time on the same day (early hours), saying she was awoken by what sounded like a massive downpour of rain. Here actual words were "It sounded like it was absolutely pelting it down" when she looked outside, it wasn't raining.

She was picking our son up from school a couple of days ago and said that one of the other mum's said that she too was awoken in exactly the same way.

Definitely something strange seems to have happened that night in the UK. Very strange indeed

edit on 16-3-2012 by Riakennor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

That's interesting, it seems so far away though. I can't find the max range capable of causing a substantial cosmic flux.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

That's some great food for thought. Although in follow-up observations, astronomers now think WR104 is tilted sufficiently far away from us to cause no harm to our solar system.

Hill therefore decided to confirm previous Keck observations with spectroscopic data to find out if there could be the possibility of an Earth-directed GRB. His work confirms the system is a binary pair, orbiting each other at an 8 month period. Hill also confirmed the presence of a shock front between the stellar winds of WD 104 and O-type partner. And there is some very good news for Earth. It would appear the original Keck imagry may not have been as straight-forward as it seemed. Spectroscopic emission lines from the binary pair strongly suggest the system is in fact inclined 30°-40° (possibly as much as 45°) away from us.

WR 104 Won't Kill Us After All

I looked around the net, and the Milky Way is dead quiet as far as supernovae explosions go. According to the Chandra X-Ray Observatory, the last one here at 'home' occurred 140 years ago.
Latest Supernova in our Galaxy

My personal guess is that this is indeed from our own sun, and that this energy burst has just been misinterpreted. But this certainly sounds weird - mimicking the sound of falling rain?

edit on 16-3-2012 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Cosmic rays day or night, at any time, it happens.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Anybody have any idea what the source of that animation is?
It seems to be a simulation based on data from the ACE satellite. As such it would be a simulation showing the reaction of the magnetosphere to the solar wind. No "back side" influence would be possible in such a simulation.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for checking in. Here is the source. Go to the Magnetosphere tab. From there go to page 3 where you will find the Magnetopause position movie. I'm looking around the Main site to see if it is ACE based.

Edit: From their on-site wiki page it does seem to be ACE based.

The data are available up to 30 to 60 minutes in the future, depending on the solar wind travel time from the ACE spacecraft to the upstream simulation boundary at 33 RE.

I don't doubt your statement, but could you provide a source supporting it. I will look in the meantime.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FelixFelicis

Since the sensors on the ACE satellite are pointed at the Sun they would not register any flow of particles toward the Sun even if they did occur.

In a nutshell, the model seems to be showing how the location of the magnetopause is affected by the solar wind. It seems to be showing a representation of field strength not "material" flowing from anywhere

The model was showing the effects of the solar wind activity on the 12th, the same activity which caused a brief but fairly strong geomagnetic storm.

As far as the cosmic ray data goes: The pitch angle chart displays the intensity from which cosmic rays from different directions are arriving

Red circles indicate deficit intensity, blue circles indicate excess intensity, and the size of the circle scales with the magnitude of the deficit or excess

neutronm.bartol.udel.edu...
So what we see is that as the solar wind disturbance arrived there was a drop in cosmic rays originating roughly 90º from the orientation of the magnetic field of the solar wind (also derived from ACE data). That a bit hard to grasp but, as described, it is to be expected with a shift in the solar wind such as was seen.

This plot will sometimes display a cosmic ray loss cone precursor ahead of an approaching CME shock. The defining characteristic of a loss cone precursor is a strong suppression of cosmic ray intensity for particles arriving from the Sunward magnetic field direction.

neutronm.bartol.udel.edu...

It's interesting stuff that's not easy to digest. But from what I can tell, what happened was a direct response to changes in the solar wind, not a "reversal", not a blast of anything from the wrong direction.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Don´t think it´s WR 104:

beforeusthestars.wordpress.com...

The last part of the blog says:

It is thought however that previous calculations of the star’s axis being 16 degrees of Earth are incorrect and the sum is now thought to be 30-40 degrees. So WR-104 doesn’t seem to pose as bigger threat than once feared…

edit on 17-3-2012 by Numino because: ohah! somebody postet that info befor.. sorry

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

could our sun get caught in the gravitational field of another solar system and become binary?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join