It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some States Seize Drivers Licenses For Unpaid Taxes/Tickets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Just saw this posted on another site and thought I would share it and get some feedback. I personally don't really have a problem with pulling someones license for not paying taxes/fines/tickets. Driving is a privilege, not a right. If you don't follow the rules, you lose that privilege. That being said, someone struggling to make ends meat who has to get to work in order to pay off the ticket/taxes may need to drive to get paid. Little catch 22 as one commenter pointed out.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Florida has a law that pulls the driver's license of people who can't afford to keep up child support payments. No excuses.
I think this belongs in Strange but True.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
My license is currently suspended because I did not pay a traffic fine.

I live in AZ

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

so should see some of the people who manage to get away with keeping their licenses here in the UK due to them 'needing' it and you can be drunk / high etc and with a good lawyer you can keep your license and theres people with well over double the penalty points which should suspend your license still driving around

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I agree that this angle of approach is not necessarily a bad one. But it can be applied as a stepping stone to legitimize other forms of less worthy intrusions.

We really don't need government revoking our voting rights because we are on food stamps or having to submit blood/piss samples every week because we are poor and accept monetary assistance. This is the kind of loop-holing that leaps over the rights of the individual based on their financial situation...

One good example? auto insurance today often bases acceptance and rates on one's credit rating, saying that studies show that poor people have more accidents. What they fail to mention is that wealthy people get in more serious accidents and accumulate more tickets because they don't care about the fines (they won't go broke) or permit revokes (money buys everything).

We created a classed society based on the concept that wealth makes good citizens. If you can't pay your ticket, you MUST be an ee-ville person...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
We pay for the roads, bridges, police on the roads, maintenance, cleaning up and more.

Then we pay tolls to drive on the roads we have paid for along with numerous taxes.

And someone says a driver's license is a privilege, not a right? Do I have a choice in whether or not I pay for the roads if I decide to not to drive? No.

So after I pay for all this, Mr. Law gives me a parking ticket on the street that I pay for and then takes my license for not paying the ticket.

No, not a right but a privilege.

I am filled with gratitude.

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Sounds like a symptom of a state that is in financial ruin. Find more creative ways to make it harder for someone to skirt the system. I would suspect that this will spread to other states as a viable means of collecting money.

Also, damn, $600 for a red light camera infraction
. Is that correct?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Great thinking
next it will be a privilege
to take pictures of the government buildings that you paid for.
Then it will be privilege just to be a parent,
indoctrination is the right of the government to give you a privilege.
Keep up the good posts!

Originally posted by jude11
We pay for the roads, bridges, police on the roads, maintenance, cleaning up and more.

Then we pay tolls to drive on the roads we have paid for along with numerous taxes.

And someone says a driver's license is a privilege, not a right? Do I have a choice in whether or not I pay for the roads if I decide to not to drive? No.

So after I pay for all this, Mr. Law gives me a parking ticket on the street that I pay for and then takes my license for not paying the ticket.

No, not a right but a privilege.

I am filled with gratitude.

Peace

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It situations likle you just described the courts / Department of motor vehicles can issue a hardship license. It allows for restricted driving privileges - to and from work / store / medical etc etc etc.

The license itself belongs to the State that issues it, which is why if you do something in a state you are not a resident of they cannot take your driver;s license from you (as they cant seize the property that belongs to another state - this is where recirprocity comes in).

At the bottom of almost all citations is a check box that has ID posted (or something similar). That allows an officer to seize a drivers license in order to guarantee the person shows up to court and takes care of whatever the citation was issued for.

Unpaid tickets I dont have much sympathy for (if its speeding / parking etc - something people have absolutel control over who just exercise bad judgment). The tax issue I think should be an absolute last resort as our tax code at all levels need to be reformed where people dont have to go to college for 20 years just to fill out the forms.

Part of me wonders if it would be possible to put a tax plan in place that automatically deducts every pay check so when April rolls around the individual gets 1 page detailing what they made and what taxes were pulled out and what refund they can expect and when.

Of course im in favor off a use tax / flat tax instead of income tax.....

As a side note if the government wants to pull a drivers license for failing to pay taxes then m aybe that should apply to government as well when they cant pay and run up massive deficits.

Whats good for the goose surely must be good for the gander.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Licence means to hold a permit to do something - like "drivers licence"
whereas
License means to give a permit to someone to do something - like "the stall holders were licensed to have a stall at the fair"

wiki.answers.com...'license'
now you know why I put dictionary definitions in my posts..to make them Palatable to spell nazis

they may take the right to drive away
but I bet they leave the part of the card that is ID and has the biometrics attached
edit on 17-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I live in Kentucky. In 2007 I was given a ticket in a hill jack little town in Indiana. I lived in Indianapolis for a small time and bought a car there. I showed them my Ky license at the BMV to transfer the title. I went to a small restaraunt in Thorntown. When I left I was pulled over by an officer named Frank. He said I did an illegal turnabout. Then wrote me a ticket for invalid license for type of vehicle operated and I went to court to fight it. The judge gave me the old bit about the officer is a n honorable blah blah and found me guilty. You can only go to court tuesday and thursday nights and it consists of a small room and an old man sitting at a fold out card table. You stand. It was a kangaroo court for sure. I thought I will show you I won't pay it.
I went to renew my license shortly ago back here in Ky and because of REAL ID they put a hold on my license. So I reluctantly paid the 5 year old ticket and somehow that rinky dink court suspended my license for 90 days. SUX!!!!!! I hired a high powered attorney that is filing a civil suit against the joke of the court. But my license will be reinstated by then.

new topics

top topics

join