It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I have been diagnosed as epileptic. :(

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Well ATS is about the biggest group I would consider friends. I just had to tell someone. I was diagnosed with epilepsy after having 4 "GTC" or "Grand-Mal" seizures in one day.

This is scary, and I had to get this out there and tell someone...I hate my life. :,(

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i suggest reading this. www.earthclinic.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shark_Feeder

I understand what your going through. My son was diagnosed in 2006. It's been a hard battle for him and our whole family. The hardest part once the seizures are controlled is the mental aspect of it. My son has had the hardest time mentally since that day. But as a father I stuck by him and never let him give up. There were days I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to keep him going, but I kept on him and stuck by him day after day and showed him that life is to important to give up on. We are all given challenges in life and we can either give in to them or overcome them. Today six years later he is finally breaking free from the control the disability had over his mind and he is becoming the person he knows he can be. If I can say one thing to you is don't give up. If you can get medicated and have your seizures under control and you get some counselling you can still live a full filling life. Think of all the people who love you and how they would feel if you gave up. I know it's a tough pill to swallow but thing's won't be always easy for you from here on out. But if you are a strong person you will overcome this period of doubt and disbelief and pain, to come out on the other side the same great person you were before.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Why do I know so many people this happens to?
The people I know diagnosed in their late 20s -30s ate lots of microwaved foods, junk foods, HFCS, diet sodas, and played a lot of video games. Do any of these apply to you?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

all of the above except the diet sodas...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Hey, do not under any circumstances take any advice that revolves around "alternative treatments". There is a reason it isnt used by medical professionals and that reason isn't "Big Pharma".

I am sorry to here this, best I can recommend is taking up reading instead of tv and dont travel down Broadway(or anywhere where there will be big flashing signs) at night. Stay positive as well.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I'm sorry for your diagnosis and the seizures as well. They are definitely no fun at all. My younger brother began having grand mal tonic clonic seizures when he was a teen. The neurologist said there was a possibility that he may grow out of them as he got older, but now he is nearly 30 and still has them if he goes off his meds for very long. I had one grand mal at the age of about 28 (now I'm almost 34) but haven't had another since and have never taken meds for them, as the neurologist could not give a diagnosis of epilepsy for just one seizure.

You might check into your family history with regard to epilepsy. Once my brother was diagnosed, my grandmother came forward and told us that all 3 of her brothers had been diagnosed as having epilepsy. No one had ever mentioned it before due to the stigma attached to it

Also, read up on the things that will lower your seizure threshhold. This includes things like certain medicines (even some over the counter stuff so be careful!), booze, lack of sleep, stress, etc... Basically, anything that taxes your nervous system can possibly provoke a seizure, so take good care of yourself!

I think attitude can go a long ways with epilepsy. My brother hates it, hates the meds, won't take the meds, then he has seizures and gets hurt really badly sometimes. For me, the seizure was a major wakeup call that I needed to slow life down a bit and look after myself better. So I listened to what my body was telling me and adapted to a healthier lifestyle.

Hopefully, you have a good doctor taking care of you and family/friends who care and are supportive. If you ever want to talk about it, feel free to send me a message. Wishing you the best

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

hi there... am sorry to hear about your diagnosis... and crikey 4 GTC's in one day is rather alot.... what type do you have? and have the doctors prescribed you any medication?

i have 2 female friends who have epilepsy both under 25....my best friend has stress induced epilepsy.. and she manages to cope very well with it... my other friend hasnt been diagnosed yet, but hers seem very random and bizarre, i have no idea what triggers them... neither do the doctors....
but there are different meds etc that you can take.... but tbh, i would recommend herbal remedies... far healthier and you know whats in it !

depending on my friends (the one with stress induced epilepsy) stress levels, that usually decides whether she has a seizure or not... and i have been there when she has had one... they are not nice. but i was there for her, and have first aid training, and know what to do if someone has a seizure (my cousin has really bad ones - she has cerebral palsy)....
they frighten both my friends alot but they never remember much afterwards.... both have taken to doing meditation and lots of walking in the country side and mountains... and doing some relaxing activities.... so maybe you could look into that aswell as other herbal/alternative remedies and...... get as many hugs as you can !!

[[hug]] to thee

please do not hate your life !!!!

peace, fluff x

p.z. also there can be perks on having it.... i.e free bus/train fares for you and a 'carer' ... depending what country you are in though !!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shark_Feeder

all of the above except the diet sodas...

Me too

Im sorry OP. All I can say is that everyone has challenges in life. We all know people who have stumbbled upon a fate worse than yours. There really isnt much choice you have except to face this thing head on and conquer the hell out of it. Chin up ... brighter days than this are ahead.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hey hang in there ok
my sister has had epilepsy since she was a teen, Its hard i know xxx but medication is moving so much in this area now,

If you have FB let me know and ill get you too connect with my sister Katy, It may give you someone to help you talk through it all,

Im also always only a message away and i really know what you are going through, So please dont feel alone ok

My sister has a very rare form and suffers up to 10 fits a day, But you know what ? she carrys on and does everything others do,

You have to think positive ok, Also join up on this website x www.patientslikeme.com...

edit on 16-3-2012 by asala because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I'm really sorry that you have this to deal with.

This condition will change some parts of your life, it will not change who you are.

[virtual hug]

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thank you guys for the responses. This is the scariest thing I have had happen to me so far this life. And I had to go and break my nose on the floor after falling.

I can't drive anymore...and I am even afraid to bathe now. I don't know how to handle this honestly.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Hello my friend. I have been at ATS for quite some time and have finally decided to make an account just for this post. I too was once diagnosed with "epilepsy".Due to having multiple seizures (6) in a span of about a year, that was about 4 years ago. I had them at school, my workplace, as well as other places. I went thru many EEG scans and countless other tests and scans. I was prescribed a strong anti-convulsion medication. I disliked taking them because I have always had a weird feeling about medications and their effects on the body. I was a juvenile at the time, and was forced to take them at times. Somehow, I knew this diagnosis could not be or, I could somehow overcome it... I have been seizure free since that year and have not taken the medications since then as well. I turns out there were some "unknown " factors at work that around that time that caused those seizures. I have gone without any incident and expect to for the rest of healthy life. Now, I am not saying do not listen to the doctors or anything of the nature. All I'm saying is, do not worry my friend, because let's just say.. I have a funny feeling that you too will overcome this.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Shark, always take precaution when having a bath, do you live with family or friends, Just alert someone when you have a bath just so they can keep an eye out for you,

Also there is equipment out there that can help like alarms ect,

Stay strong ok
you will be ok x Have you started being medicated yet?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Hey, do not under any circumstances take any advice that revolves around "alternative treatments". There is a reason it isnt used by medical professionals and that reason isn't "Big Pharma".

i would beg to differ.... i have a few friends that are fully qualified medical herbalists.... there are very good at what they do and have a very high success rate.... one of the reasons they aren't in the 'Big Pharma' as you so put it, is because these herbal remedies do not make money.... there are pretty much free for anyone and everyone....
most working/middle class gardens have plants in them that can cure more than 5 different things i.e. the typical cold, migraines, headaches etc.....

also alternative remedies DO work... i have experienced it first hand.... i have problems with my heart, and hawthorn (a tree that grows around the UK and probably elsewhere) helps ALOT with heart conditions.... it has brought my heart down to a steady rate !!
i also have a friend who is only 23 and he is developing severe arthritis in his hands... he has been complaining of very sore hands recently, so i gave him my magnetic bracelets.... low and behold the pain in his hands had diminished by the next day !!! and he was skeptical at first, he's not one to believe in all the 'herbal/alternative' remedies .... but in many cases they do work !!

so dont dismiss them immediately just because its different and the doctors say its unreliable, or because the 'Big Pharma' doesnt have them.... do you research first.... i can even put you in touch with my herbalist friends if you like .....
edit on 16-3-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Stay strong ok
you will be ok x Have you started being medicated yet?

Yeah I was in the hospistal for a week...my GTC seizures lasted almost an hour so they had to rush me to the hospital.

I'm now on 500mg of Keppra 2x day to control it...the doc said keppra is really good.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I'm epileptic too, have been since 5 years old when I got hit by a car. Grand mal ones for me as well only have them while I'm sleeping though, you have no idea how many times I've woken up in the hospital or in the ambulance on the way there. It's nothing to be upset over, It can be dangerous though depending on the circumstances you have them in. I'm 19 now and haven't had a seizure in a few years now, there's treatments that do actually work. Did the doctors tell you what your triggers were?

I still suffer from twitches here and there though, I just try to avoid strong strobe lights and any situation that might trigger one.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Somehow I knew you were spot on with your questions.
Star upon ya.

OP,
Live with it, it is simply a condition of our environment.
Sure you will have some inconveniences but you can still do most normal things.
I have known a few epileptics that are normal folk.
I have diabetes, imagine how that sucks as I am addicted to chocolate and coca cola...

We make lemonade out of lemons!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

your right
i just cured my 20 yr eczema
got the cream of an immigrant (home made from russia)
i will do a thread next week

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

thanks
awh thats good to hear

yeah it does work.... i mean obviously there are things that you should definitely seek western medicine for.... but if you are going to be on a long term prescription of western medication.... all im saying is its worth a look for something more natural, and better for you body....
i mean who knows what they put in the medication these days... i can tell you the doctors dont !!!

anyways Shark_Feeder, i really hope you have someone close by who can call in and check on you, or come to you if need be.... i wish you luck and send positive vibes to thee

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join