It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Credit Card Services" Spam calls. What to do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I suppose this could have gone in Rant, but this section looks like it fits, too.

There are times when I get calls from “Credit Card Services” sometimes two or three times a day. A robot voice announces that because of my good credit I am eligible for a low interest rate on my cards. The only requirement is that I must owe at least $5,000. Press “1” to speak with an operator. BTW I am on the do not call lists already. This stuff is completely illegal.

For the longest time I just hung up, but I’ve begun pressing “1” to see what happens. If you try to say, “Take me off this list,” the response is an immediate hang-up. Obviously they have been taught to do this. It wastes time if they argue with you. If you go to Google and type in one of the numbers (of which there are many) you can see that others have reported the same thing, including operators swearing at them, etc. The numbers do get reported, but nothing is ever done to stop these guys.

Yesterday I got one of these calls. The Caller ID said “Scam Call,” interestingly enough. I wonder who hacked in to do that? In any case I pressed “1” and got a guy on the line. I copped an accent to pretend I was not a native English speaker and had a conversation with him. I was told to “get my card number,” so I excitedly told him it was in the other room, so I would put the phone down and go get it. I put the phone down and just left it there. Several minutes later I figured we were done so I hung up. A few minutes later the guy called back and said, “Why did you hang up the phone?” I just laughed and hung up. I then received two more calls in quick succession, all from different numbers. He was obviously retaliating.

So now I’ve got this air blast horn intended for use on boats. It’s very loud and I was thinking of using it next time I get one of these calls. But I’ve had second thoughts. You might hurt someone that way if they had on headphones. I don’t really want to injure anyone, but it’s kind of like I’m at war with these guys and I’d like to find a way to get these calls to stop.

Suggestions or similar stories?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

say "add me to your do not call list"

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I usually string em along for some madness. One time I asked if this could wait till after I kill myself. Without pause they told me that now would be the best... So I fake cried and just kept saying numbers. Till it was blatantly obvious that no credit number like this existed.
1 waaa waaaaaa 2 waaaaaa waaaa 3 sob (Just kept going till like 40 something.

And after that I had a fake gun go off (sound effect)... and gargled a few more numbers.

They never called back.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

So now I’ve got this air blast horn intended for use on boats. It’s very loud and I was thinking of using it next time I get one of these calls. But I’ve had second thoughts. You might hurt someone that way if they had on headphones. I don’t really want to injure anyone, but it’s kind of like I’m at war with these guys and I’d like to find a way to get these calls to stop.

Suggestions or similar stories?

Do it, they should not be calling you any way.

If they get a blown ear drum, then they get what they get.

If you stick your hand on a hot stove, then expect to get burnt.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I just ignore everyone I don't recognize on caller ID and let the machine answer. Eventually those calls just go away.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
They will be going down soon enough. If you would like to help, get the ability to record your phone calls,
Always record them, always choose the option to speak to a person, and always ask them politely to remove you from their list.

Setup a excel spreadsheet and record the number they call from, the date, and time.

Im attempting to make this my capstone project for my degree.

The funny part is, i tell them i honestly do not have acredit card, and never will. Youd think they would remove me from the list to save time and money for themselves. They are scammers of the highest order.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGuyFawkes

Doesnt work. They just keep calling, and they sell your number to other scam agencies.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

ha i was a telemarketer if u say take me off ur call list they add u to a call back list but if you say "add me to your do not call list" they have to or else they can get fired

i agree with u though make sure u get there names time of call ect. so u can ask to speak to a supervisor next time they call and let them know u asked to be placed on the do not call list

edit on 16-3-2012 by TheGuyFawkes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I get these messages too...I just ignore them. I never answer my house phone anyway so I just have to erase the message. (I have picked it up though.and pressing "whatever" key to be removed really doesn't do anything I am betting). I figure complaining to the FCC or whatever isn't really going to stop anybody, especially if they are using spoofed caller ID's.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
if you know its a spam caller just go all men in black and say its a NSA restricted phone line and that any future contact on this number will require you to spend an extended time at a off shore base for 'debriefing' and under article (make up the number) of the defense code 1997 any mentioning of this action is punishable by life imprisonment

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by compwiz32190

If one could find out where the calls are originating from...
Go and cut their phone lines. In this case, I do not care if two wrongs make a right.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
also here is some ftc laws about what telemarketers can and cant do
www.donotcallprotection.com...
www.ftc.gov...

Do not call registry
www.donotcall.gov...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Ya not with these guys. They are a scam. They use some kind of voip/intranet/something else i forget the name of off top of my head they use a different number everytime. You will never get a supervisor they just hang up. This isnt legit telemarketing.
Ive read reviews from people who work there. They scam their employees as well / People looking for jobs.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I cant find the link at the moment. But i read a decent writeup of these guys. They are working out of a place in florida. Their website is down and their main number. They do list a fax number. Ive been thinking of blackfaxing them sometime after hours but i have a feeling thr fax would just go to some legit business whom i dont want to hurt.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

oh ic yeah i would just ignore them or figure out a way to find out there number and register it for various online collages, coupon sweepstakes, credit card company's and ect. so they get a taste of there own medicine lol

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Ya thats not gonna do crap. They need to be taken down

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen

Ive read reviews from people who work there. They scam their employees as well / People looking for jobs.

That's one thing that slows me down a bit. Working for one of these places has to be the pits and no one would work there if they didn't feel they had to. On the other hand, it's illegal as far as I can tell.

I've been on the do not call lists since they started. That does not deter them. Asking to be put on their own list results in an immediate hang-up. That's their M.O. I suppose it's not something to get overly worked up about, but it happens nearly every day.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
OPT OUT PRESCREEN Credit Card offers...

use it. it works. well it did for me.

also, add lan and cell phones to the DO NOT CALL list

further...when you do give your number out to anyone, even doctor's offices....make sure of their privacy policy...make sure they dont sell to other people...

i cant tell you how many times im standing in line and the cashier asks someone: and can i have your phone number and people just give it out...

even when im ordering stuff online...i NEVER EVER put my real phone number on there...i never give out my real number unless i need to receive a call from someone and i know they dont sell lists.....

i only have a cell...ive had the same number for 4 years and I NEVER EVER get "spam" calls....
edit on March 16th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Lucky you! Just pray this servicedoesnt get your number. They do not honor do not call lists or requests for removal

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
OPT OUT PRESCREEN Credit Card offers...

further...when you do give your number out to anyone, even doctor's offices....make sure of their privacy policy...make sure they dont sell to other people...

Something new I have just noticed lately as well. I have been frequenting Lowes lately and now their little strategy is to now ask you for your phone number.

I decided to see what I could get out of this.

The cashier asks if I would like to give my phone number, so that in the event I needed to make a return I could do so without a receipt. Man, these people are good. I declined nevertheless. I then ask the question to the cashier. Is the phone number really used for returns, or is the marketing department telling the cashiers to do this so they can sell my info. She replies, no, not when you pay cash. So they are really trying to connect some dots here on the customers, and it seems cash customers make it a bit difficult. I gave her a chuckle, thanked her, picked up my stuff and walked out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join