It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter ID Cards For All

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
With all the hoopla lately about voter IDs being somehow discriminatory towards minorities, how about the government use our tax dollars to provide us with a voter ID? I pay federal income tax, I am a citizen, so how about they use $10 of that to issue me a picture ID that can be used for voting? After all, it would be my own money they are using for my ID. I just wouldn't be paying for it out of pocket.

This way everyone can get what they want: Republicans/conservatives can get voter IDs to the citizenry, and it can be done without a perceived cost to the poor, thus placating Democrats/liberals. Not to mention that voter fraud can be, while not eliminated, curtailed somewhat.

As a libertarian with slightly right of center ideologies, even I can accept my tax dollars being used this way. With voting rights comprising a full 11% of our Constitutional amendments (only slavery matches its frequency as both have two amendments dedicated to them), I think that a voter ID is important enough to do this for.

Can you accept this? If not, what are your arguments against it?

/TOA

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

But then how will people cheat?

How will politicians divide us?

Stop your common sense right now!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
As I stated in the other thread regarding Texas, you have to prove your identity when you register to vote. The same information is accepted for the voter ID card. The only difference is the addition of a photo.

The only thing this does is ensure that the person registered to vote is the actual person voting.

Further, in Texas, ID cards for voting are FREE so it doesn't discriminate against the poor in the least. I have yet to see one statement showing discrimination in this law in the other thread and look forward to seeing if anyone can prove it in this thread.

Lastly, voting is a choice and is not mandatory.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
As I stated in the other thread regarding Texas, you have to prove your identity when you register to vote. The same information is accepted for the voter ID card. The only difference is the addition of a photo.

The only thing this does is ensure that the person registered to vote is the actual person voting.

Further, in Texas, ID cards for voting are FREE so it doesn't discriminate against the poor in the least. I have yet to see one statement showing discrimination in this law in the other thread and look forward to seeing if anyone can prove it in this thread.

Lastly, voting is a choice and is not mandatory.

Thanks for your input. Being a lifelong resident of Texas, I know the above. But I don't believe it's the same in other states, thus the reason I'm putting forth a federal voter ID option.

And in case anyone is confused about what I'm saying, I'm not saying a national ID card that will work for everything. This would be only a voter ID.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

This would be a great way to prove Ron Paul the winner this year!! But that won't work for everyone that doesn't want him to be president...ie every non citizen of the USA......

No more getting the president they want??

Won't happen.....But a good thought....I like it

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

In addition to the Voter ID, I would also like to see the popular vote returned, with Nov 7th, being a Federal holiday. And for those that still have to work regardless, the polls would be open for 24 hours that day.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

That sounds like a great idea to me. I am given a Voter ID as part of the process here in Missouri anyway...all that is missing is a picture on it. I agree that it would be a fair thing to spend money on, since they're spending our money by the billions on junk anyway. At least this would be a service to the people getting soaked.

I think merging the existing, required Voter ID card with a photo on it would just about settle everyone's concerns, to my way of thinking. And of course...a Voter ID has always been free and should remain so, photo or not.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
but...
its just a card/peice of paper
new photo and name and they will be able to cheat at another polling station

only way to prevent voter fraud is...

these cards have a chip in em that holds your dna profile
you give swab and it gets put in with your vote
they check dna swab vs what they have for you on profile
you match up your vote counts

you dont match up you get arrested for voter fraud

but then again people in america are so stone-age they will be like "you not getting my dna!"
i dont see the problem with cops/goverment having your dna profile
unless you killed somebody and were so stupid you left traces of dna at the scene (wear gloves has CSI shown you nothing)

and those religious nuts who say my idea is the mark of the beast
makes me wonder why they scared to share their dna afterall its just a form of ID a damn accurate one at that

ID card photos can be duplicated and easy at that
but when 2 different people show up on computer with identicle dna we know they are same person
(can even tell identicle twins apart with dna)

take that olsen twins!!! you cant both double vote no more!!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We can't we just use our own drivers' license or ID cards? Why do we have to have a different form of ID for everything?

I can understand the need to see ID because there is a lot of voter fraud out there, but come on.

We don't need a different ID card for everything.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

The point is to provide picture ID for those people that don't have a driver's license, passport, or other form of picture ID.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hey...I'm a taxpayer too!

How about they take $100 to insert RFID chips into our skulls so they can track everything we do and relinquish our right to anonymity?

The ID sounds good, but may have unforeseen consequences.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The majority of people drive to vote it is illegal to drive without a dirvers licence so it really is a big deal to ask people to show something they should already legally have?

It's is all about voter fraud which is why the biggest opponents of this is the left so what is the deal really?

Can't win an election legally?
edit on 16-3-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
We can't we just use our own drivers' license or ID cards? Why do we have to have a different form of ID for everything?

I can understand the need to see ID because there is a lot of voter fraud out there, but come on.

We don't need a different ID card for everything.

I agree with you, but requiring a driver's license or even a state ID card seems to have plenty of people up in arms and whining about how it's discriminatory.

I think this suggesting with a photo version of the Voter ID card is just supplying every possible solution to address the endless arguments using every thread of logic opponents can possibly find to say identification of a voter isn't right...

Well.. NO ONE can say people don't have Voter ID cards. If they are registered, they have one. Period. Add a photo, and everything is pretty well solved to where not even the opponents can likely find a wild thread to pull that apart with.
(not that they won't try...real hard
)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Papers please.

I remember some years back the right going bonkers at the concept of a universal ID card (or national ID card). Lots of fist shaking about constitutional rights of privacy and such.
Then they realized they could benefit by demanding it, so within what...a couple years they flipped to the complete opposite, denying rights to citizens unless they purchase a product.

yes, a state ID costs money...about 20 bucks give or take. To a person of means, thats nothing..just schedule some time off work, pay the small cost, and voila.
To someone whom is dirt poor, 20 bucks and time off work can mean basically not eating for a couple days. Its obvious who the target is..

those disgusting poor people...

Why not just cut to the chase and make voting based on income bracket. under a certain amount, a vote counts as 1/10th of a person, and goes up the higher you make. At least this would be refreshing honesty

Anyhow, I am in favor of a absolutely free (no hidden cost) national ID card that is issued upon request (not required).

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Do tell how do all those poor little poor people get their food stamps and other government benefits?

They do have to show ID.

Anytime a person gets pulled over they are asking for "papers please"

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by SaturnFX

Do tell how do all those poor little poor people get their food stamps and other government benefits?

They do have to show ID.

All others, including those applying for or getting only Social Security, must take or send their food stamp applications to the local food stamp office or to any Social Security office where a food stamp representative works.
When you are interviewed, you also should have:

Identification such as a driver’s license, state ID, birth certificate or alien card;
Proof of income such as pay stubs, Social Security, SSI or a pension for each member of your household;
Proof of how much you spend for child care;
Rent receipts or proof of your mortgage payments;
Records of your utility costs; and
Medical bills for those members of your household age 60 or older, and for those who receive government payments such as Social Security or SSI because they are disabled.

Birth Certificate seems fine..your given that for free at birth. Not seeing what the need is for a new card.

In saying that, I am in favor of a handy, dandy new federal ID card that is absolutely free and open to any and all citizens for purposes of voting if they want. Just making sure that the access is equal and free regardless of your life situation.
a homeless man whom has made about 20 bucks within the last 2 years should have just as much ease at getting it as the average joe.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

And wanted to respond to this also
If a person is walking, you don't have to give anyone jack..a drivers license is for driving privileges, not for walking or riding a bike.
Just says your authorized to drive around a 2 ton hunk of metal at 60mph because you have been trained on how not to kill people while doing it. That is a choice you make for an advantage.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

>>>>>>Further, in Texas, ID cards for voting are FREE

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
In saying that, I am in favor of a handy, dandy new federal ID card that is absolutely free and open to any and all citizens for purposes of voting if they want. Just making sure that the access is equal and free regardless of your life situation.
a homeless man whom has made about 20 bucks within the last 2 years should have just as much ease at getting it as the average joe.

This is what I'm talking about. Every citizen gets one with no out of pocket cost, and it's for the purposes of voting. I'm not so keen on a national ID card to be used for other purposes, however. Just a voter ID card.

/TOA

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
and it's for the purposes of voting. I'm not so keen on a national ID card to be used for other purposes,

Ya, but you know eventually more will be added to it. It will come in through seemingly good ideas.
voter ID
voter ID, and medical history
voter ID, medical history, sex predators
voter ID, medical history, felons
voter ID, med, felons, no fly list
etc etc etc...each step cheered until you are carrying around basically your entire history and tons of private info on you, and required to carry it.

I see the pros and cons of a national ID card. question is, is the inevitable corruption worth the short term gains...what would possibly stop it. Tomorrow will be a different witch hunt and people will be wanting to tag a new segment of people...how can you go against the will of the frightened flock called the average citizen?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join