It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If TSHTF should I stay where I am?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Background: I am Australian, on the Gold Coast, East coast of Australia. I have a fairly new home, 3 years old. It has a 5000lt water tank, a 3Kw solar panel system, a garden with enough room for a vegie patch, a pool, we are positioned high enough to see no damage from the latest floods and extreem weather we have seen in the last few years here in Australia.

We currently have no produce growing, but plenty of room to grow food stuff's if needed. I have 2 kids and a small backup fuel supply.

I do not have any firearms, but would be able to get one if I registered for a firearms license. I am able to defend myself if required. Firearm's are not the only way to defend one's self.

I know enough about survival and have lived off the land to survive on numerious occasions when I was young.

I grew up in the outback of Australia and know how to look for food, shelter and water.

I know how to set traps, protect my family and property if necessary.

I know my neighbours and would rely on them in dire need.

I have an abundance of food, frozen, canned, and fresh.

I am 20-30 minutes away from a place that is 525 m (1722 ft) above current sea level.

I think I am prepared for when (not if) TSHTF.

So my question is this: Should I stay where I am if TSHTF or move to a different location with a bug out pack?

Your thoughts?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That really depends, others might like your area too.

As for the rest of your post, I would start growing food and using that in your meals. Reason being, if a stressful situation (tshtf) occurs, its not way out of the ordinary and psychologically less damaging.

You may be prepared, but their really isn't a way to know for sure if your family is.

Overall, I would stay.
edit on 16-3-2012 by calnorak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It all depends on what your take is or what you think is going to happen when TSHTF. Some prepare for different things, financial collapse, zombies, solar flares and all are different scenarios that play out differently than one another. You may be good when it comes to floods, but people with guns and weapons your not, prepare for what you think will happen.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It really does depend dude
But if TSHTF and you CAN stay there I would - sounds like a good nest

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Short answer:

There is no better spot than you could possibly be in than your home. It sounds like a nice castle. Stay put.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It depends on what kind of S is hitting the F. I would be prepared to evacuate if need be. When the time comes, you will have to make the decision to stay or not.
edit on 16-3-2012 by N3k9Ni because: typo

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Sounds like a good place to stay under many scenarios.

However, if the SHFT-event is ocean-based (tsunami, meteor, sudden rise in water level) you may want to have a relocation plan.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
your set all you need to do is get a planting , greens and fruits, i do not know if spuds er potato's do good down there or corn stay away form the Mon seeds GMO you know
edit on 16-3-2012 by bekod because: editing

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It sounds like you're pretty well set up where you are.

Unless there is a specific need to bug out, I'd work on getting the veggie patch growing and plan on staying put.

If you decide to bug out, you really need to consider how much you can bring along. It's also a lot harder with the young ones.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MyRealityIsDifferent

stay put. buy several guns and teach the family how to use them. think about building a green house. start growing and storing food. your well ahead of the game. you have a lot, and others may wish to take it from you if/when the SHTF.
not saying guns are the awnser, but better to have and not need than to need and not have. God bless and good luck to all of us.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Start building a moat and a lookout tower (heavily armed of course). Just sayin

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I have never heard anyone address this issue... but are crocodiles fit for consumption??? Minus the tyres and license plates, that is. Anybody got any good recipes for croc stew???

edit on 16-3-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sounds like you've got a nice place so you should just stay put. Most people feel better when they are at home when something bad happens.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

I think so, there was a place in my city of Vancouver that sold exotic meats and one of them was crocodile, possibly alligator, but im guessing they all taste just like chicken

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrdwzrd
reply to post by shushu

I think so, there was a place in my city of Vancouver that sold exotic meats and one of them was crocodile, possibly alligator, but im guessing they all taste just like chicken

You're right... so says this PDF...

I thought I remembered Crocodile Dundee talking about eating croc once and it tasing like chicken.
So when S really does HTF... there will always be an abundant source of white meat then... 'cause crocs and alligators have already stood the test of time. So long as it isn't an iceage with nowhere to escape below the perma-frost.
edit on 16-3-2012 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I'll have to agree. It sounds like you are in a good situation to Bug In as long as possible. In most cases staying put is typically the best option. Ramp up your food and water supply and you're good to go. Just having Solar capabilities puts you ahead of most.

Here is some useful info. in regards to Bugging In
survivalcache.com...
edit on 16-3-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
In a Shtf scenario you leave when there is absolutely no other choice even then be absolutely sure it's necessary.

Have a plan, and have another plan and a location that you know is going to be safe most preppers do this and most have supplies already stocked there as well.

never keep all your eggs in one basket.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

The answer to that question is always, stay where you are until you need to move. No need to hike accross the country unless you have to.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Thank you for the reply's.

I think I will start putting a green house together and start planting.

Depending on the type of cenario, I will stay put until I am actually 100% certain that moving would be a benefit.

I also need to plan for another place to go to and stock it up as well. As suggested it's not a good idea to have all your eggs in 1 basket.

Thanks for the Bugin link, I will definately have a good look at that site and what it has to offer.

Not many Croc's around where I live, but plenty of koala's

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The only person who can answer that is you.
If you can't answer your own question then you are no where near ready to survive a situation.

1. You need to research and learn about different scenarios that could possibly affect your geological area.
2. You need to formulate a plan to deal with each scenario.
3. You need to determine what resources you have where you are.
4. You need to define what advantages there are to moving.

Your asking a question that nobody can or should answer for you.

You want to gamble your safety and life on an answer somebody on an internet forum gave you when they know nothing about you, where you live, what supplies you have, your experience or what kind of mental preparation you have?

No. Do some research And answer your own question if your serious about survival.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join