It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of the Russian Military

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by khruschev
What's the point of putting it on the front page???

Anyway, why is this topic going off-topic?

never mind, because some one hijacked it.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
oh thanks man, thats real freindly.
next time why dont you ask the mods to put it on the main page in bright letters.
even better make that sentance outa lights you can see from space.

Yes, you are one of the good guys too. I like your posts and you are the greatest source of data on special operations.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Pryvit sir, yes I like your thinking, they are one of the best specops
. what armies have you been in i have been in the Russian, and the Polish armies. I am recently in the Canadian army. They are quite intellectual peoples. I enjoy working with them and they are quite funny.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
sweatmonicaIdo, did you mean me>>??
. thank you very much. you are an very considerable intellectual, you seem to ask good questions. Ask any questions you need. I am looking forward to being a good friend

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Yes, you are one of the good guys too. I like your posts and you are the greatest source of data on special operations.

look as much as i like the compliment , you cant keep dissing americans they have some gd things some majorly bad things but some gd things 2.
doubt i am the best at SF, there are some better at it some very much better. i mean russian (not you but the guy with the russian troops in his picture)

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
That would be a picture of me
. The guy handing out applications

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRussianPoljak
That would be a picture of me
. The guy handing out applications

no not that one.
meant the russian who has russian SF troops in his pick like the spetnaz troop.

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

SPETSNAZ (������ ������������ ���������� - �������/Voiska spetsialnogo naznacheniya - spetsnaz, /Specnaz/ in SAMPA) is a general term for "Special Forces, SpecOps" in Russian, literally 'special purpose units'. In Russian the term is commonly used to denote special forces of all countries, but in English it is used only for the Russian special forces. In fact, its use in English is usually associated with Russians writing in English or with writers having pretensions of linguistic authenticity. English media generally refers to them as Russian special forces and, in fact, usually refers to special forces of any other country by a similar generic term.

Spetsnaz can refer to elite units controlled by the Federal Security Service (FSB) with (counter-terrorist and anti-sabotage tasks, Ministry of Interior (of the police) MVD, and the army special forces controlled by the military intelligence service GRU.

Strictly speaking all SPETSNAZ units operated by the KGB/FSB are called OSNAZ or osobogo nazhacheniya oron meaning special purpose detachments. This units were originally raised for internal use against counter-revolutionaries, dissidents and other undesirables. There has always been a certain amount of shifting of personnel and units between both the GRU who control SPETSNAZ and the MVD with OSNAZ MVD and OZNAZ KGB or FSB, especially between the latter two.

OSNAZ FSB is thought to include two units, Alpha Group/Spetszgruppe (A) and Vega Team /Spetszgruppe (V) (formerly known as "Vympel"). The Alfa Group specializes in countering terrorism and organized crime. It is thought to be one of the most respected CT units in the world. A second Alpha type group may also exist called Beta Group.

The Vega Group is a relatively new unit, made of members of the original "Vega" Group (that used to belong to MVD, before the USSR demise), and veterans of "Vympel", one of the most feared saboteur group in the Cold War. The new Vega Group is responsible for anti-sabotage operations, mainly concerned with the security of atomic energy plants.

Spetsnaz MVD also known as Osnaz MVD includes some Interior Troops units, like "Vitjaz", "Rus", "Rosich", "Skif", "Grom", etc. Most of these are primarily infantry combat units intended for use to combat insurgency, especially in Chechnya, and possibly also to suppress revolts in prisons or military units, if any are to occur. They are generally believed to be well trained and equipped, being far superior to the regular Russian infantry that is believed to be poorly trained as of 2004. For example, it is claimed that the unit "Rus" had fought successfully against the rebels in Chechnya with a casualty ratio of approximately 1 to 200. Their missions may include reconnaissance missions and regular combat operations. They (especially "Vitjaz") have sometimes served as the back up team during the counter-terrorist operations by team Alfa.

Spetsnaz GRU, or Russian army special forces, are the original SPETSNAZ and are generally considered the best trained units of the Russian military. They are controlled by the GRU (the Russian military intelligence agency). During the Cold War, these units were deployed in Eastern Europe in order to carry out reconnaissance and sabotage missions against the NATO forces in the event of a war in Europe. It is claimed that they are one of the best infantry forces in the world. For instance, it is related that in the mid 1990s, there was a competition in Alaska, USA, of Spetsnaz GRU and US Army Rangers. The Rangers managed to be first only in one competition - lifting weights. Spetsnaz GRU was better in any other aspect, including running, target shooting, stealth, etc.

Army GRU are also believed to have one of the best combat divers units in the world. The units of spetsnaz GRU have no official names, such as is the case with units of Spetsnaz MVD. They are generally referred to by numbers, for example, "18th Brigade of Spetsnaz", much like any other military unit. Few details are actually known about the operations of Spetsnaz GRU, but it is known that the units were heavily involved in wars in Afghanistan and Chechnya.

Rumors say that another Russian intelligence agency, SVR (Sluzhba Vneshnej Razvedki, Russian analogue of American CIA) has also its own Spetsnaz unit, called "Zaslon". but nothing is known about them so far, and the Russian government will not acknowledge the existence of this group officially

At the fall of the Soviet government, each of the Soviet Red Banner Fleets (four total) had a Naval Spetsnaz Brigade assigned to it. It was not known if they were GRU Spetsnaz or if the were raised by the navy. Current information is unclear.

Russian intelligence agencies, FSB, FPS and the SVR (Sluzhba Vneshnej Razvedki, Russian analogue of American CIA) have their own Osnaz units.

[edit on 18-10-2004 by TheRussianPoljak]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
umm why did you post all this about spetnaz??

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
umm why did you post all this about spetnaz??

i dont know why he posted it... but i like it

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by titus

i dont know why he posted it... but i like it

every one likes spetnaz , mabye its because thier mad but, heh, who knows?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It's because I was fighting in Chechnya with the Russian army, bosnia I fought their as well. I learned alot about spetsnaz from friends in the Russian airborne troops. Spetsnaz, OMON officers, and the soldiers themselves
. I have alot of friends all over the Russian, Polish, and Canadian militaries.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
That's awesome. I have a few friends that are in the Polish and Canadian army. The british army guys usually aren't as friendly with me. It's probably because I don't work with them on a daily basis. I work with Canadians, Poles, Czechs, Italians, and Germans every day. It's really cool to work with the militaries of different countries.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   

It's because I was fighting in Chechnya with the Russian army, bosnia I fought their as well. I learned alot about spetsnaz from friends in the Russian airborne troops. Spetsnaz, OMON officers, and the soldiers themselves

You fought in Chechnya did you ? What years and what unit ? How many Chechans did your unit disappear ?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:49 AM
link   

mate i was whole war in bosnia,where have u been(town) and have u fought on serbian side cos serbs had a russian men in their ranks

[edit on 19-10-2004 by viking27]

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by viking27
mate i was whole war in bosnia,where have u been(town) and have u fought on serbian side cos serbs had a russian men in their ranks

Who did you serve with viking ?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Originally posted by viking27

Who did you serve with viking ?

HVO

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the HVO could you expand on this.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the HVO could you expand on this.

HVO means croatia council of defence,iv served in croatian army

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
In Bosnia (Sarajevo), I fought with Bosnian sides, against the Serbians from 1995-1996, during the massacre. We got a message from allies; 'Please do something. Whatever you can. In the name of God, do something.' We responded and went to fight in Srebrenica, I sure recieved a similar message.

I was in Chechnya in, 1999-2000. I was in the 40th mobilized troops. We caught as a unit 72 Chechnians, we killed (altogether).

I was part of the Polish army, no major battles/wars. I was born in Poland
, but Polish and Ukrainian heritage. I am 27 now. Sept. 12, 1977; I was born.

[edit on 19-10-2004 by TheRussianPoljak]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join