It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook 'troll' Sean Duffy gets community service for offensive Sophie Taylor image

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

There are plenty of forums out there is you want to act and discuss things which are not accepted in society as a whole, plus remember the family nature of facebook. You want your kids to see sick stuff on facebook?

What I've seen on FB is far less civil than what is allowed on ATS! There are no profanity filters, people post images, and videos that are pretty gruesome and/or provacative. I've seen women my age posting intricate details about their dating scene and sex lives, and their poor children have to read that stuff.

People seem to lose their minds on FB, and there aren't many filters to counteract it. I still don't think it should carry any criminal penalties, but grown folks should really start acting like grown folks and stop acting less mature than the Jr. High children they are raising! (Is there still Jr. High? Or is it all Middle School these days?)

link   

Originally posted by SashaHighkick
reply to post by Maponos

That sucks. Well if that had happened to me, I would have told my daddy, and that person would end up burried somewhere more than likely. Your parents didn't warn you when you were little about those things, and tell you to come to them right away?

And what if the abuser is threatening to kill you if you ever talk?
edit on 16-3-2012 by Maponos because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Soshh

Well, I hope people with some foresight, and sense step up and challenge these stupid laws.

No-one is going to succeed in challenging that law on the basis that one should have the 'freedom' to purposefully inflict suffering upon the families of dead children or anyone else.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Well I for one hope you are wrong about that.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

No-one is going to succeed in challenging that law on the basis that one should have the 'freedom' to purposefully inflict suffering upon the families of dead children or anyone else.

You're probably right, but as Sasha said earlier, some people are unconcerned with laws. I can guarantee I could rest comfortably in jail after taking out my frustrations against someone that disrespected a dead child of mine. I'd have no regrets whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Hell no!!! He got off lightly.

Just because its an online sites means nothing if someone goes out of their own way, to basically insult and inflict emotional damage.

Would it have been the same if he rang the family and gave them verbal abuse? No it wouldn't, but then you only phoned that family, when you do it on facebook its just as bad for the family but ALL THEIR FRIENDS will also be affected.

This trolling business is public humiliation and cruelty and should always be taken very seriously.

Internet anonymity - with great power comes great responsibility.

no its not, someone has to choose to add that person in order for them to comment on there facebook.

secondly if someone is that wrapped up in facebook they get that emotional hurt by comments on the internet, maybe they need to spend some time off the internet..

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have had to delete some people for that.... It's kinda gross hearing about your aunt's sex life, I couldn't imagine if it was my parent

Not a reason for arrest though for sure.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

For me? Well had someone touched me, I would have kicked them in the nuts until they passed out. I got signed up for karate as soon as I could walk, my parents have done their best to raise me not to be a helpless girl. But like I said, it sucks and I am sorry it happens to anyone.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by braydenf

no its not, someone has to choose to add that person in order for them to comment on there facebook.

secondly if someone is that wrapped up in facebook they get that emotional hurt by comments on the internet, maybe they need to spend some time off the internet..

No, it was a public group for her memory.

They got trolled by this guy just by being a part of their daughters/friends memorial, like it or not.

Compared to non internet terms of abuse, this would be like painting something horrible and massively insensitive on her family home.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by braydenf

No, it was a public group for her memory.

They got trolled by this guy just by being a part of their daughters/friends memorial, like it or not.

Compared to non internet terms of abuse, this would be like painting something horrible and massively insensitive on her family home.

No that wouldn't be the same at all.

The efforts one must go to in order to remove a painting from your home, compared to deleting a post on a website.

I don't see how anyone can justify arresting someone for this when by definition he sounds to be socially retarded. His asphergers is likely pretty severe. Hows about instead of these ridiculous charges they do something to try and help the kid? And yes I say kid because he's still a kid, I don't care if he's 26, does anyone here believe this man to be a 26 mentally?

Money could have been spent to get him a social worker. And instead of spending 200 hours doing community service, he could have spent 200 hours interacting with a person, as a person. Not as an internet troll. They are already wasting resources on him, I see no reason not to apply said resources to something useful.

I mean....He is banned from social networking sites. Do people not realize that if he did decide he wanted to try to be a normal person and make some friends that process for him is going to be hindered? Social networking can be amazing for people like him, people who clearly would have trouble making friends in real life. Ya lets just ban him from it, lets take someone with a disability and punish him for his shortcomings. Rather then taking the time to help him.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

I am a bit older, but lets say you are pretty close, what does that have to do with anything. I think we are a bit offtopic with this in anycase.

It won't happen to me, I am a blackelt in karate, have knife skills, and never leave home without one on me. I can shoot too, but the law won't let me have my own until I am 21

I am not a defenseless woman.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MCJustJ

I guess you dont know the different untill you lost some one in a terrible accident and then have some random guy make you feel really bad about while he laughs.

In school thats bullying, on the internet its direct abuse.

Just because no physical damage was done in the process and you cant fathom how rude, offensive and abusing this act is, doesn't mean its not serious or shouldn't be considered a crime.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Soshh

You're probably right, but as Sasha said earlier, some people are unconcerned with laws. I can guarantee I could rest comfortably in jail after taking out my frustrations against someone that disrespected a dead child of mine. I'd have no regrets whatsoever.

I can't say that I would feel any differently if it were my child. Never mind 300 hours community service, I'm sure that Sean Duffy would prefer life in a prison cell to a death in someone's basement. I can't imagine that he would manage to discourage a bereaved parent with "you're violating my right to free speech!"

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

reply to post by MCJustJ

I guess you dont know the different untill you lost some one in a terrible accident and then have some random guy make you feel really bad about while he laughs.

In school thats bullying, on the internet its direct abuse.

Just because no physical damage was done in the process and you cant fathom how rude, offensive and abusing this act is, doesn't mean its not serious or shouldn't be considered a crime.

I guess you don't know how to reply to a post without baseless assumptions.

You don't know anything about my life, and for the record my life is completely irrelevant to anything I said in that post. So what purpose did that assumption even have?

Where did I even say its not a crime? I said justifying the arrest and charges he was given, when he's clearly got a mental disability is ridiculous, and I stick by that. Not once did I say its not a crime. You realize there are more ways than just one to punish people right?

How would giving him a social worker so he could actually work on his problems not be a better option? And how does me implying he should he given help so he knows ow to properly interact with people make you think I'm okay with anything he did?

It should be painfully obvious from my post that I want him to be a different person, and it should be painfully obvious that the approach they are taking is not the proper approach in helping this person.

I honestly don't even know why I'm bothering responding to you to be perfectly honest, you either didn't even take the time to read my post, or you're just so set in your ways you refuse to even acknowledge my points, because nothing you said really has anything to do with my post.

You also failed to argue why posting it on a facebook group is the same as vandalizing someones home. You compared what he did to vandalizing a home, I pointed out why that was wrong. Yet here you are defending that point without adding anything to your original argument.

How is putting something on the Internet, something that can literally be removed with a few clicks of a button. The same as putting a marking onto a persons home, a marking that would have to be removed through more means than a mouse click? Its an unfair comparison and its completely inaccurate.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by TKDRL

I post photshops all the time. I hope nothing happens to me
I post stuff like this

I doubt it'll get me in trouble. I think it's funny.

I find this frightening and disturbing...TENNESSEE GET HIM!!! ARREST HIM NOW!

Seriously though, how ever mean and insensitive the images were, they're still just images. Pictures. There's no reason this should be a CRIME. If somebody did that about a dead family member of mine, I'd probably be upset, and there's no guarantee they wouldn't catch a beat down if I saw them in person, but still not a crime. People these days want the government to get involved in EVERYTHING it seems.

Lets get the government involved because some guy was publicly mean and it hurt my feelings.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maponos

And what if the abuser is threatening to kill you if you ever talk?

Then they'd be in for quite the surprise. As the old saying goes "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" so threats to my life are generally ill-advised. That's just me though.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Maponos

Yeah, they should let the "grownups" deal with it. They have done a bangup job up until now right? Only if you wish to live in an orwellien nightmare, all for the false security blanket feeling of being coddled by big brother.....

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Maponos

Yeah, they should let the "grownups" deal with it. They have done a bangup job up until now right? Only if you wish to live in an orwellien nightmare, all for the false security blanket feeling of being coddled by big brother.....

I was referring to the grown ups that are actually doing good work such as Assange and guys like Jacob Applebaum etc

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join