It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Can Picture The Size Of The UNIVERSE?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Like seriously.

We ask this question all the time. We always talk about it.

But I'm NOT talking about this stuff : Scale or This

I'm talking about the sheer SIZE of the Universe. Its very hard to put in words, but I'm pretty sure some
people know what I'm talking about. The distances, space, and lengths. Its just completely CRAZY how BIG
the Universe is. I mean, 600 Sextillion stars? Unlimited amount of planets? Scientists talk about how its scale is incomprehensible, but NO. I can just feel it. It may
sound like I'm a excited school-girl, but WOW. No amount of pictures, videos, words, flash games, or anything
else can explain or give someone an idea of how huge the Universe is. Its a feeling you get. Its like inside your head, and you just know.

Anyway else feel me?

edit on 16-3-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I created a thread not so long back asking pretty much the same thing.

We know some juicy facts about the size of the universe or the exact opposite, super tiny small. We use little markers to help understand the scale but in reality, theres only so much your brain can actually handle at one time.

For me thinking in relative terms of my own size, i can barley think about how large our solar system is!

Check out my thread below if you want to see some other thoughts on a very similar topic

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Who Can Picture The Size Of The UNIVERSE?

Nobody can.

It isn't possible.

Even if we did actually know for sure how far it extended, we still would not be capable of accurately comprehending it's true astronomical size.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
earth is like an atom inside of the body and the body is surrounded by infinite others

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
when you start the truly comprehend how big the universe is... and the fact that there may even be a whole other one..

You begin to feel humble to even be here, existing at this point somewhere between space energy and "time"

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ace1059

interesting but the planets would be the electrons and the sun would be the nucleus and our whole solar system is the atom.

my cup of tea is a universe

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I find it easy to comprehend, i just think of my brain being the universe.

I you find the inside of your self, all the feelings, the sense, smellings, taste, vision, love, hate, angsity, fear, joy, pain, your memory, all of it, and you understand what your brain is doing to inform you about all those things.

Then you understand that the univers you see on the inside, is just as big as the univers you see on the outside.

My brain is a univers on it's own.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You can't. The brain, though amazing, is not capable of grasping infinity like that. Which is why it boggles us so much or even makes us feel unsettled.

My solution? Just worry about the milky way.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
hi,

I would say it is infinite. Who knows what lays beyond what we are able to see through our technology. It most likely goes on and on.

As far as the theory of multiple universes, I believe they also exist but in different dimensions.

Unless, our universe is similar to a galaxy. What I mean by that is maybe our universe is contained in another larger body along with other universes.

A question for the ages.

edit on 16-3-2012 by Ameliaair because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
try to wrestle with infinity, you will lose. what your trying to understand is beyond the scope of our current minds.
edit on 16-3-2012 by cointelprotroll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Love that site! So cool! Bends my head in all sorts of ways!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ace1059

Good stuff, this is basically how I feel about our place in the universe as well. Puts things in perspective.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Good way of putting it.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
GO to google and type GIGANTIC BUBBLES NASA.GOV
its 50,000 light years in size.
relax, grab a pair of red and blue 3d shades.
I designed this. www.disclose.tv/kenny
with MANDELBROT.
there was a show called Kid Quiz.

Murchison was the only winner.
from 1989 I am an ORRERY.
89 90 91 92.
I have a stargate in the second floor of the third grade building.
every third grader for 22 years knows I am God.
I am.
I will be.
I will have been.
You may verify me.
Thank You.
During the show there is a point that the children answer why they are smarter.
they answer, IT'S Kenny, he is GOD.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If the idea of infinite scale, i went on a bit of a scale ramble in another thread.

I called it the fractalverse.

Since the infinite scale idea has so much to do with math, physics and what we obverse at all levels it striked amazing similaritys to mathematical fractals.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hmmm yet it is smaller than the mighty mustard seed.
Dwell on that one, it's an oldy but a goody.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Go into a closet without light, observe the infinite darkness. That's the size of the universe.

Darkness is infinite.
edit on 16-3-2012 by NewerBeing because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by NewerBeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas
Like seriously.

We ask this question all the time. We always talk about it.

But I'm NOT talking about this stuff : Scale or This

I'm talking about the sheer SIZE of the Universe. Its very hard to put in words, but I'm pretty sure some
people know what I'm talking about. The distances, space, and lengths. Its just completely CRAZY how BIG
the Universe is. I mean, 600 Sextillion stars? Unlimited amount of planets? Scientists talk about how its scale is incomprehensible, but NO. I can just feel it. It may
sound like I'm a excited school-girl, but WOW. No amount of pictures, videos, words, flash games, or anything
else can explain or give someone an idea of how huge the Universe is. Its a feeling you get. Its like inside your head, and you just know.

Anyway else feel me?

edit on 16-3-2012 by Vandettas because: (no reason given)

Depends... are you taking about space/time or the physical universe? Space/time is infinite and was instantly created, but the big bang does have an edge to it as it expands close to the speed to light.

edit on 16-3-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Let's see what the HHGTTG says about this

but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Time bubbles are harder to think about than the actual size of things vs. your body.

Time is a strange thing, because even if i could travel near the speed of light and time slows down etc its still going to take me more than a human life time to actually get very far.

I couldn't guess how much time slows down at super high speed, but getting just out of our galaxy to the nest closest significant galaxy, would still take 2.6 million years at the speed of light. So at a fraction of the speed of light even at 99% reduced rate is more than ... more life times than i can be bothered to work out

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join