It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beware (Downloading) Americans!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
They're coming for you!

Didn't see this posted, if it is please remove.

This is certainly worthy of your attention!

American ISPs to launch massive copyright spying scheme on July 12

source for the claim above

If you download potentially copyrighted software, videos or music, your Internet service provider (ISP) has been watching, and they’re coming for you. Specifically, they’re coming for you on Thursday, July 12.

That’s the date when the nation’s largest ISPs will all voluntarily implement a new anti-piracy plan that will engage network operators in the largest digital spying scheme in history, and see some users’ bandwidth completely cut off until they sign an agreement saying they will not download copyrighted materials.

Word of the start date has been largely kept secret since ISPs announced their plans last June. The deal was brokered by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), and coordinated by the Obama Administration. The same groups have weighed in heavily on controversial Internet policies around the world, with similar facilitation by the Obama’s Administration’s State Department.

The July 12 date was revealed by the RIAA’s CEO and top lobbyist, Cary Sherman, during a publishers’ conference on Wednesday in New Yo

Users who are “caught” infringing on a creator’s protected work can then be interrupted with a notice that piracy is forbidden by law and carries penalties of up to $150,000 per infringement, requiring the user to click through saying they understand the consequences before bandwidth is restored, and they could still be subject to copyright infringement lawsuits.

This is of importance for anybody who downloads stuff!

$150.000 dollars per infringement

source
edit on 16-3-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Sounds like the lawyers are getting ready to flex their muscles again. I was looking for something that was copyrighted recently (I know...) and found a link via google that pointed at some large file hosting site. When I clicked the link I was greeted with: "You may now only upload and download your own files, please log in."

It seems as if the sites themselves are towing the line now in light of the recent megaupload (?) closure. Oh well, I guess it was only a matter of time. It will all go back underground again like it used to be in the old days.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You're probably already aware of this but try the TOR-network.

I'm a pc newb and even i figured out how to use it, not much too it.

As far as i'm aware it will garantuee your anonomity. (did i even spell that correctly?)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w

As far as i'm aware it will garantuee your anonomity. (did i even spell that correctly?)

Guarantee and anonymity should never be used in the same sentence.
However, if you truly believe that, then be prepared for the consequences.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Always funny those crazy amounts of money if you are found to be quilty, sadly it isn't a joke.
Does downloading 1 mp3 cost $150.000?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
There already doing it. I got a letter about a month ago. It said that i had pirated a movie called Time and if i did not remove it from my computer that my internet service would be disconnected.I didnt take it off just to see what would happen. A week latter i got another letter saying this was my final warning to remove the movie from my computer..............how did they know it was still on there????

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

Originally posted by kn0wh0w

Guarantee and anonymity should never be used in the same sentence.
However, if you truly believe that, then be prepared for the consequences.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

that why i said

As far as i'm aware

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
All in all, this is where people had better start telling their ISPs to piss off and drop them like a bad habit.
They cannot spy on you if you are not a customer.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Going from here to here; no surprise.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

Really? Pretty shocking alright if they can look on your computer.

Myself got about 30 downloaded movies, luckily I don't live in the US.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Thanks for the tip but I don't regularly download, it was an obscure and hard to find thing I was looking for. I don't really have a need for TOR right now but am aware of its existence, mainly via news about pedos, drug sites and all the rest that is deemed newsworthy by MSM.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

They must be able to look in your computer because once i dele. the movie i got no more letters, but they must only look for certain films because i had a lot of downloads on my comp. What i do now is download and make dvd copys and then dele it from the computer but who knows if that really helps or not.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   

We're you still seeding the movie? My friend got an email a month ago saying to delete a show from her comp. came from the ISP on behalf of NBC

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

no i dont seed any thing i download im a dick like that lol. Thats what i looked at first thinking maybe i left it seeding and thats how they saw it but nope. Mine was from isp because warner bros. filed a complaint.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

We thought it was a joke cause the guy who sent the emails name was Osama Hussein or something
edit on 16-3-2012 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments, queries or concerns to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join