It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulling the PTSD card

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Updated at 8:01 a.m. ET: The case against the U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers is "more political than legal" and the defense will likely focus on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), his lawyer told NBC News on Friday. Attorney John Henry Browne, who is representing the soldier, said the suspect had been training to become a military recruiter after four tours of duty in Iraq but had been ordered to return to Afghanistan "overnight." "There will be efforts to paint him as a rogue soldier rather than focusing on how we treat GIs in general or whether we should be over there to begin with," he told TODAY’s Matt Lauer in an exclusive interview.

CNN and other mainstream media are pulling the PTSD card trying to make people think this guy just 'snapped' etc. That this was just a instant decision and that led to the massacre of the innocent Afghanis. Somehow that walking door to door with NVG on your head, and methodically killing everyone, putting them in a pile was not premeditated is preposterous. I hope this guy gets death

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Although i dont condone what this soldier did, and i dont feel he should be let off without being justly punished for his actions. I do want to express something to you. Are you a soldier? Have you served in combat? Have you ever been shot at? do you know what its like to go to bed knowing there are people hunting you, planning your death at every possible minute? have you ever witnessed a person that is as close to you as humanly possible get shot and bleed out begging for help? I doubt you can answer yes to ANY of these questions. I, on the other hand can. PTSD, while not an excuse for EVERYTHING is a real disorder that results from the above listed situations. I have known too many friends that have returned from down range that have PTSD and its not pretty. Most have not done anything like this Sgt. Did, but i know several who have enacted violence on themselves or have come close to enacting violence on other people. It screws with your mind and makes the line of whats right and wrong VERY hard to differentiate.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Lol same faces same places, same sentiments
But I must admit I did find the statement funny
How he questions how GI's are treated and if we should be there at all
Sounds like some here - who then start a thread like this !!

So a professional what ??? May I ask
And maybe just maybe the hypocrites can come attack you
You and we are all guilty
Many are just too ignorant to see or admit it !

Wow look how many stars you have compared to posts
Tells me a lot
edit on 16-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Added

edit on 16-3-2012 by Neocrusader because: Auto

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Hi The Professional, it seems it might not be quite the open and closed case yet. Please see this thread another member posted recently. Talk of more than just one rogue gunman is surfacing, I have no idea if it's true but it might be something to keep an eye on.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by forevertruepatriot

It appears to do the same to police officers - who have an extremely high rate of wife beating, stalking and murder in their spare time and private lives. Perhaps their training/drugging/human experiment program is creating a new society . . . . it sure is affecting society! If their goal is to destroy the fabric of society, the home and life on Earth, they've done it and done it well. I'd like to examine the ways they brainwash and experiment on these guys instead of looking at this "one" instance. It happens too often. It affects everyone around them from their kids and wives to their friends and perceived enemies. Who would they have been without the military industrial complex's influence? Probably Gandhi or Fred Astaire. . . just kidding, but really. . . .
edit on 16/3/12 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

And the sheeple wil believe this tripe.

Soldiers are subjected to psychotic drugs pushed my big pharma. This is where the problem lies IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by forevertruepatriot

I have seen people die in front of me from bleeding out, using combat as an excuse to kill innocent people is not justifiable. There are many soldiers who get their legs blown off and do not go around killing innocent women and children. They volunteered for the job and they knew the consequences and hardships that they had to endure. Some of them thought oh we were gonna go in their and get those afghans that did 9.11 only to find out that they were guarding the poppy fields and to get their leg blown off from a walmart constructed IED in the face of millions of dollars of training.
edit on 093131p://3America/ChicagoFri, 16 Mar 2012 09:23:31 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

Updated at 8:01 a.m. ET: The case against the U.S. soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers is "more political than legal" and the defense will likely focus on post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), his lawyer told NBC News on Friday. Attorney John Henry Browne, who is representing the soldier, said the suspect had been training to become a military recruiter after four tours of duty in Iraq but had been ordered to return to Afghanistan "overnight." "There will be efforts to paint him as a rogue soldier rather than focusing on how we treat GIs in general or whether we should be over there to begin with," he told TODAY’s Matt Lauer in an exclusive interview.

CNN and other mainstream media are pulling the PTSD card trying to make people think this guy just 'snapped' etc. That this was just a instant decision and that led to the massacre of the innocent Afghanis. Somehow that walking door to door with NVG on your head, and methodically killing everyone, putting them in a pile was not premeditated is preposterous. I hope this guy gets death

Um, lets be brutally honest here shall we? The kid snapped mentally. No one normal goes out killing people. No One.

So, give the kid a break. What he did was obviously terrible but if you spent years living in a desert ,getting shot at and forced to shoot at others while watching people die you would also snap.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameliaair

So, give the kid a break. What he did was obviously terrible but if you spent years living in a desert ,getting shot at and forced to shoot at others while watching people die you would also snap.

Oh give me a break. He is not a kid anymore, he chose to spend time in the desert. He did not 'snap' he was pissed that he had no purpose and wanted to take out his anger on innocents.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Oh give me a break. He is not a kid anymore, he chose to spend time in the desert. He did not 'snap' he was pissed that he had no purpose and wanted to take out his anger on innocents.

He snapped. End of story.

No one said he should get a pass for what he did.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

He did not snap, when you go door too door methodically killing women and children. It takes time planning and preparation. He did it during night, and I have been hearing things that he put on his NVG to get a better kill. Then he tried to cover up his crimes by burning the bodies. He knew exactly what he was doing.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

He did not snap, when you go door too door methodically killing women and children. It takes time planning and preparation. He did it during night, and I have been hearing things that he put on his NVG to get a better kill. Then he tried to cover up his crimes by burning the bodies. He knew exactly what he was doing.

When a person mentally snaps it does not mean its a spur of the moment thing. The mental breakdown can happen over a period of time. Hours,days,even weeks and months.

The war took a toll on him. Deal with the truth. he was messed up mentally because of it and that is a fact.

Are you suggesting that Ted Bundy, Dahmer , and others that killed were sane?

edit on 16-3-2012 by Ameliaair because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
He did not just snap. It was premeditated. He knew he was sick and didn't seek help. It's as if he was enjoying the feelings he was having.
losangeles.cbslocal.com...

Ocampo also told a detective that he targeted the heads of his victims because he learned it was a quick kill in the movie “Terminator 2”.

He also said he would look at Penthouse magazine to pump himself up and that he believes he has the “killer gene” because he became so aroused by the murders.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
He did not just snap. It was premeditated. He knew he was sick and didn't seek help. It's as if he was enjoying the feelings he was having.
losangeles.cbslocal.com...

Ocampo also told a detective that he targeted the heads of his victims because he learned it was a quick kill in the movie “Terminator 2”.

He also said he would look at Penthouse magazine to pump himself up and that he believes he has the “killer gene” because he became so aroused by the murders.

All you have to do is look at your post and tell he was mentally screwed up. Ever heard the term Crazy people do not know they are crazy.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

lol
Learnt from terminator 2
Oh my god lol
I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out

All this says to me is he wasn't a combat infantry soldier - AND THAT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE !!
if he was I'm sure his methods wouldn't be from that movie

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I just looked at the video of him. He was holding a dr Seuss book and reading it.

The guy mentally snapped.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

I know. Hollywood is training our soldiers now.
The article also says that he stated he was upset because he joined the military so he could kill people, but he was stuck driving a truck instead.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Well there we go
Firstly this guy shoulda been weeded out earlier or certainly identified
Secondly - a driver .......not infantry ?
I know the theory is we're all soldiers first - your trade second but anyone that knows anything knows that is just theoretic idealism - a clerks a clerk - that can pull a trigger - a drivers a driver that can pull a trigger
Not a person to whom soldiering is a profession - there is a difference !
This man MAY have spent other tours at Disneyland Kandahar or Kabul
Now this tour he's deployed at a fob getting mortared everyday dodging IED's and seeing people shredded
He was wrong - but he was failed

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Mr.P, as much as I respect your attitude I have no doubt this man will serve a prison sentence in both his mInd as well as his judicial responsibly.

I would like to take you on a short history/medical excursion. In the 1960's a young man in Texas climbed a clock tower and shot many innocent students. Big, cornfed, apple pie looking kid that had been a Boy Scout & did one, non-combat tour of duty. He'd also shot his sleeping mother and her best friend.

Battle Shock is not a term born even in this century. Soldiers have been killing people they are supposed to protect as long as there have been soldiers.

There is your history lesson. The medical one will be short and sweet.

At the base of every mammalian brain is this thing called an Amygdala (ah-mig-dah-la). Think of it this way: if a slobbering, snarling tiger were to jump out from the nearest door way and start running full steam at YOU. You would have two responses; Run screaming like a little girl, or charge forward and roar like the competitive animal you are. The Amygdala is responsible to that physiological response.

Summary: the young man in Texas had a tumor attached to his Amygdala. Combat Vets have what has been described, ad nauseum, as PTSD. It does not negate determining the difference between right and wrong. I am sure he knows that clearly enough. But in 3 tours in Iraq fighting and to suddenly need to be defending. He lost his reasoning. If you've ever been in a building where construction was going on in the area above you, hammers, electrical buzzes, and muffled voices. Or seen a shadow move from the corner of your eye. That is similar. But that thing at the corner of your eye is that slavering tiger, waiting for you to forget its there...

I have PTSD. What he did was wrong. He is the only one to blame. He will probably hang. But PTSD is very real. I believe he has it.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

So we should just kill him?

The Ft. Hood shooter gets a trial, a jury, a lawyer.

You (and Panetta, Obama) just want to string him up.

Go get 'em, tiger!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join