It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your work and or job expect you to be more loyal to them then your own family?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Most employers do not care if your child is sick or your brother is in the hospital or your sister is in jail but, what if a tornado came through and they told you to stay at your desk or you cant leave work to check on you child, what would you do?

What if you had no personal time or vacation time to take off for an emergency? Would you risk losing your job and leave anyway or would you stay put and hope for the best?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I know I am very lucky to work for the company I do. I was a single mom when I started, and any time an issue came up with my sons, they were booting me out the door to go deal with it. I've been here 17 years now and nothing has changed. We are small, about 12 people and everyone is treated that way.
So I can't imagine working for a company that would treat people that way. I would leave if there was a major emergency, no matter what the company said.
Family is more important, no matter what.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

hi op

years ago i was working for a cowboy (dodgy bugger)
i cut my hand you could see it needed at least 3 stitches in it (im experienced in stitches)
the bugger pored some thinners on my hand
then offerd to take me to hospital...AFTER WORK
and you wonder why these companys go bust

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Being an employer and boss for years I have seen some of the lamest excuses come from people for missing work. They think their excuses are legit but Employers can't operate a small business with employees missing work all the time. It's not bad when an employee needs occasional time off to do necessary things, but some people think unnecessary things are necessary. I noticed some people always take lots of time off and others take very little time off, structuring their life around their job. The more lenient I got the more time some took off. I didn't care if they took unpaid time off, it's their paycheck, but I still needed to get my jobs done. I noticed that the people always took more time off always wanted raises to offset their lost wages. I just hired someone else to replace these kind of individuals in the spring. Sometimes having seasonal employees has it's advantages.

People have to understand that their employers sometimes are good people. They take risks to try to expand their business which creates additional jobs. If they hire people who are often missing work it can jeopardize the stability of everyone's jobs. Reliability and productivity of employees is crucial to the survival of a business. Their education is secondary, I trained many workers to learn to do many things. I had more problems with people with college diplomas especially if their diploma was in a construction field. They knew little of the real world and it was hard to teach them anything. They also wanted more money to start than I paid my employees that worked for me for years. I couldn't pay great wages because I created my own projects to keep people working when times were slow. This guaranteed they would have plenty of unemployment to make it through the winter. I liked my employees and I bet if I started up my company again I could get many of them to come back with a lower wage than they now get.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
I would leave if there was a major emergency, no matter what the company said.
Family is more important, no matter what.

I agree with that, the company I work for now seems to be great in respect to family, the other company I worked for, not so much... glad I not working there anymore, but sometimes I do miss that larger paycheck...

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Reply to post by mustangill

All my employees and their families come first. No exceptions. A healthy and happy employee is the only thing that matters to me. I have found our bottom line profits are always looking good as long as we are all happy.

I have forced employees to take paid vacations (even using my flyer miles so he didn't need to drive).

I forced another employee to go to the doctor after she was sick on and off for a month. Turns out she had an infected heart valve and it needed to be replaced. She was out six weeks, and she still got her weekly paycheck. To be fair, I offered all my employees 6 weeks of pay and THEY TURNED IT DOWN.

After years of working with these people, I feel like I'm working with family. No matter how hard we have to work, last minute overtime, impossible deadlines....you name it, they get it done.

Most of my fellow business buddies call me crazy....but then they are always complaining about their bottom lines and constant employee problems....idiots.

At my company we don't have a handbook
We don't have vacation rules....if you need one then take it.
We don't have sick days.....if you need one then take it.
We don't have personal days...

We don't have any of that crap. And the people don't abuse it at all, ever. It's amazing.

The secret to business is simple. Hire the best people and treat them like they are your best customer. Just doing that one simple thing takes care of everything else.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by MainLineThis

Oh yeah, almost forgot....every time one of my employees takes a vacation I make them take a company credit card with them just in case they get into a bind.

I seriously don't know how people haven't figured out the secret of running a suscessful business.

Now, the way I run mine I don't think would work for a big business (mine has 23 employees), so I can't speak to that, but google seems to have it about right?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
IMO every job I've had, your employer expects you to do your job to their satisfaction.

On the other hand, if you go above and beyond your job description or are over zealous and exceed the expectations, then they will forever expect that level of performance from you, without your effort being rewarded somehow.

Therefore, I have adopted the policy used by Scotty of the original Star Trek series. No matter what the job, but especially the important ones, he would tell the Captain it would take twice as long, so when he got the job done in half the time, he looked like a miracle worker.

So the moral to this story is to never go 100% into a job or task, do just enough to do it to the satisfaction of your boss and no more because they only expect more if you give it.

A guy I work with gives his job ALL of his attention and goes way beyond expectations. He gets so mad when the boss takes advantage of that and doesn't even acknowledge or reward his extra efforts. Lesson learned for me just through observation.

Thought I'd add that I took care of the "family dogs" for close to 20 years because everyone else ignored doggy duty. Once I took the responsibility, it stayed mine, I was never acknowledged or rewarded for my efforts.
edit on 16-3-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Last line

edit on 16-3-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

I agree with you on a business being like a family. It doesn't have to be boring or terrible to go to work. We worked well together and I was the one who had to make sure everything stayed that way. We formed a family or entity. I was working right on side of my employees, I did the estimates, billing, and paperwork after their day was done.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I am curious, with the way you run your business, a lot like my boss does, I bet you don't have a lot of turn around, as far as employees go?
We have 6 that have been here over 15 years, 2 at 10 and 2 over 5.
The ones that do end up leaving have been late teens, early 20's that don't really know what they want yet.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It's important to understand that when people work together they start to think as one. There seems to have to be one in the crew that is able to regulate the frequency to keep everyone working as one. When that person leaves sometimes everything falls apart. Sometimes it is management, sometimes it is just an employee. If someone disrupts things they are blackballed from the communication and wind up leaving.

When someone joins in and their frequency conflicts with the general consensus, they don't fit. If they have a strong communication they sometimes disrupt the crew. Employers are aware of these types of individuals and sometimes utilize them by advancing them and training them to be strawbosses, teaching them what they desire and how to control the employees by thought. These are what is referred to as Alpha people. Alpha people need workers to control otherwise a bunch of Alpha people working together just create kaos. They are the leaders.

Presently we are gaining too many Beta people in the USA. Beta people who get in charge take too many risks and the stability of things get weak. The Alpha people are more conservative and should be running things but need to understand the possibilities change can create. If risk assessment is done by Alpha people it helps. Beta people tend to neglect the array of side effects of actions unless they are able to operate in Alpha or deep thought occasionally.

We can not exist correctly if the balance of all the brainwaves is present. Alpha as bosses, Beta as scientists and the other two or three types as workers. We need jobs for all types to have a stable economy and good country. Neither group is better than the other and it is important to also note that those in a group should be taught that they are also important. We should never think we are better than others because we have higher intelligence. That is a sign of messed up perception. It's nice going to a restaurant and having a friendly waitress, one that is doing what she is meant to do. A waitress that is paying for 4 years of college usually isn't friendly, feeling that she is now broke from being deceived. Maybe she should have been a waitress in the first place, she looks at others having fun with no stress and worries and starts to resent them.

I'm sorry for getting off topic again, I'm just trying to show people what I see. I have no proof but I have lived amongst all sorts of people and have friends of all classes. I try to see what others see and work to understand what really exists.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
A good boss is only as good as their workers.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Before 2009 I would of said yes about the company I work for. Since then they keep taking more from us. Expecting more from us and giving us less.

If it's your scheduled day off and a holiday they will tell you it's manditory OT or you'll get points. I know in some jobs people have to work the holiday to keep the country going. My job is not one of them. No frieght moves on holidays out of our plant. They don't bring you in for just a few hours either when they do this. They want you there from 6:30-6:30. Even if there is nothing to do but push a broom.

If they extend our days hours at a moments notice they tell the people with young kids they can't leave. It's too bad they don't have a baby sitter or someone to pick up there kids. That's your problem not theirs. If they decide you are going to come in the next day at 4 in the morning instead of your usual time again it's your problem to find someone that will take your kids in the middle of the night to watch them. I just thank God my kids don't need babysitters anymore.

They cut out Christmas gifts, Telling us the company can't afford them. Well I would say okay but I work for a big company and the last two years they've made record breaking profits.

They let us take our sick days for family if we need to. Well now they tell us we can only take our sick days if the vacation board isn't full and have a doctors excuse. Or will take points. Well that would be good to but they raised our insurance and cut our benefits So now we don't pay 20 bucks to go see the doctor like we used to we now pay the whole bill until after your yearly deductable is paid. I don't know to many people that show up at the doctors office because their child has a 24 hour flu. So if you can't get on the vacation board with your sick time and you don't want to take points because after so many you're fired then you end up at the doctors office to get a piece of paper from the doctor saying this child has the flu and a two year old needs to be with their mom/dad today.

It's all right they are trying to even control our days off that we would like to spend with our family and time we need off with our family because.."We are lucky to have jobs" "There are people out there that want our jobs"

I am an old school ass I guess. I look at them and say I can go back to my last job just let me know when.

I think I get away with that because they consider me one of the best workers and I laugh because they haven't seen my best yet. But the others that have decided that they are laying down on the job make me look darn good.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mustangill

I must start by saying that there is a balance that must be met between the employer and the employee. Each must give and take. That said, I do work in an environment that does not exactly come out and say it, but it is the attitude that is presented that we are at the beck and call of the bosses demands, 24/7. Granted, my job does require me to be on call 24/7 in the event of equipment problems, and I understand and accept that. But when things are running smoothly, it is still expected that I be available because the boss(notice I refer to them as boss, not leader), does not have a life and is working at 3a.m. so I should be too.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I think it is definitely dependent on the occupation. If you need people to run a cash register there is much less flexibility than if you are preparing taxes on an appointment basis. Thus someone hiring a bunch of independent accountants has much more flexibility than the guy running the fast food joint or corner store.

I work for myself so i have time off whenever I want, although I am always available for phone calls from my clients.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom

I am curious, with the way you run your business, a lot like my boss does, I bet you don't have a lot of turn around, as far as employees go?
We have 6 that have been here over 15 years, 2 at 10 and 2 over 5.
The ones that do end up leaving have been late teens, early 20's that don't really know what they want yet.

I have had some summer help come and go (students from the local schools, etc), but turn around is not an issue now. When I first started running things in this manner, I did have to fire a few people until i finally weeded out all the folks not mature enough to handle being treated like they are human. After the first two years of running the business the way I do, I have had zero turnover, save for two great employees that had to leave because their spouses were in the military and were getting transferred.

Loosing an employee to me is viewed as an embarrassing personal failure on my part. Find the best people, pay them so much it hurts and treat them like they are your best customer. That's it, nothing more to it. Our bottom line has never been stronger. And when our bottom line grows, so do my employees paychecks. I have never had an employee ever ask for a raise, they no when I can afford it, they will get one. If i didn't think any employee didn't deserve a raise anytime, they wouldn't be working here to begin with.

I don't view my business as an ATM. As long as I make enough to get me through life I'm fine. My business is nothing more than a means to provide what I need to live in this world. Sure, I live very comfortable, and I do make a lot of money. But honestly, the money I make is almost a byproduct of another goal altogether.

Once, 5 years into the business, we had major money problems. Lost two good paying clients and business was just generally down. I was not able to get a bank loan, so I sold my house. I actually lived at work. My employees never knew.....well, you can't live out of your office for long without them finding out...too small of a company to hide something that crazy. Long story short one of my employees let me stay with them. Lived there for 6 months while getting back on my feet (and not taking a dime of money out of the business for myself, no paycheck, nothing). So there was 1.5 years where my employees made more money than I did.

If you read my posts on this board, I come across as a hardass. In real life I'm all heart....or a sucker one of the two. But I now have a big house, nice car, expensive and stupid hobby....and surrounded by people who have my back no questions asked (and the other way around). Life can't get any better for me. I'm not rich. But here's the funny thing...I could be if I wanted to. All it would take for me to be rich is to act like the majority of business owners in this country. but I'm too old to really care about that at this point. In fact, I'm trying to figure out what to do with the business as I am looking to retire very soon. I know what will happen, I will sell it for mucho bucks to some idiot and within a few years all the people I worked so hard to ensure they had a good living will probably be out of a job. Breaks my heart.

Now I'm not ignoring the first and foremost thing needed for business success...and that is to deliver a needed product or service in a competitive market place. If you can do that, and treat your employees as I do I GUARANTEE success.
edit on 16-3-2012 by MainLineThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis

Now I'm not ignoring the first and foremost thing needed for business success...and that is to deliver a needed product or service in a competitive market place. If you can do that, and treat your employees as I do I GUARANTEE success.

I do agree.
If the management takes care of their people, their people will take care of everything else.
Guaranteed.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The short answer to the Op's query is generally "Yes."

Employers often expect an "employee" to feel as vested in the success of their business as they are... all the while being reminded of "how fortunate they are to have a job" and "We've got a business to run." as if such statements obviated the situations that extend outside the 'business.'

One of the strongest benefits of being an 'employer' is the knowledge that someone is waiting for a job out there...

"Good business" sense means they are primed to "take advantage of that." And they often do.

They expect a paycheck to be balanced by "loyalty" in addition to the services they are paying for. Yet it is exceptionally rare to find a 'business' that is "loyal" to its employees in similar fashion. As if a paycheck were a matter of charity.

Sadly, being a business owner does not make one a 'leader'... although it would probably be better if that wasn't true. Being a business owner doesn't even guarantee that you are a manager, or supervisor worth any salt at all.

But don't mind that; these things change as cultures mature.... despite the hubris and pomp that entrepreneurs, spreadsheet worshipers, and dime-store consultants peddle to each other....
edit on 16-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

They expect a paycheck to be balanced by "loyalty" in addition to the services they are paying for. Yet it is exceptionally rare to find a 'business' that is "loyal" to its employees in similar fashion. As if a paycheck were a matter of charity.

Loyalty. That is another thing I believe a lot of business owners or otherwise managers need to understand what it really means. True loyalty cannot be bought. It cannot be expected. It cannot be demanded. It must be earned.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
That is an extension of captialism. Here's a good read that sheds light on the subject: www.primitivism.com...

Those employed by corporations are legally required to pursue profit above all other possible concerns (e.g., ecological sustainability, worker safety, community health, etc.), and can be fired, sued, or prosecuted if they do otherwise. As a technologically advanced form of civilization, capitalism encroaches upon and utilizes even greater territory, causing further reduction of the space available for life to freely flourish for its own purposes. Like civilization, capitalism conscripts both human and non-human life into servitude if regarded as useful, and disposes of it if regarded as otherwise. Under capitalism, most people spend the majority of each conscious day (typically 8-12 hours) engaged in meaningless, monotonous, regimented, and often physically and mentally injurious labor to obtain basic necessities. Privileged individuals also tend to work intensively and extensively, but typically to respond to social pressure or to satisfy an addiction to commodified goods and services. Because of the dullness, alienation, and disempowerment that characterizes the average daily experience, our culture exhibits high rates of depression, mental illness, suicide, drug addiction, and dysfunctional and abusive relationships, along with numerous vicarious modes of existence (e.g., through television, movies, pornography, video games, etc).

Why people continue to defend this failed economic system is beyond me; probably more to do with fear of the unknown than defense of a flawed system.
edit on 16-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join