It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds say Arapaho can Kill bald Eagles

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Don't forget about the mugwort and the trail of tears. When Indians kill an animal they use all of it, waste not want not. Live in harmony with and honor nature. It was the white man that caused the extinction of many animals not Native Americans, we lived in a society that respected the animals for 6000 years before they showed up.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
A catholic is against killing an unborn child but the Government says oh hell yes you can

A native American wants to kill a bird and the Government says oh hell no problem.

That really is some religious freedom in this country.

Aren't Catholics against abortions? So why are they complaining about the government telling the people who aren't Catholics that they are allowed to have abortions. The Catholic faith doesn't say what's law thankfully the constitution stops that but they are more than welcome to set up laws within their own church. Instead of sticking their noses in others peoples business they should have been minding their own the kids sure wish they did.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
In my opinion no governmental laws should in any way pander to or be altered to accommodate religious beliefs.
edit on 16/3/12 by Versa because: (no reason given)

This is EXACTLY the way I feel about this situation.
2nd line.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This website has turned into bunch of biggots complainingYou people are just..wow. .
edit on 16-3-2012 by bo12au because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Decline of American principles??
Eh, we stole their land. Let them have their two bald eagles. I don't hunt much or care for animals being killed, but it's such a non issue I had to comment about how it's such a non issue.

They aren't threatened anymore. There are quite a bit of them. It will be ok. It is probably a seasonal sacrifice.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Killing in the name of religion....this makes me sick!

Agreed.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Geezl, the hatred on this thread is sickening.

They were here first. They managed perfectly well without us, they knew how to NOT overkill, they knew when to move on, they - unlike the invasive white man - knew how to live in harmony with nature and how to successfully hunt to sustain the populations of the animals.

The white man screwed that up.
There is a piece of an old trail a few miles from my home called 'The Buffalo Trace trail'. The buffalos used it for migration to the salt licks in Kentucky. The indians also used it for migration. When white man came, they made it a road and killed all the buffalo and ran the indians off.
It makes me sad every time I drive by it.

2 bald eagles a year for an almost bygone race for ceremonial/religious purposes is no big deal. I'm sure they will have the sense to not wipe them out.
'.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Im half native american, and what does it matter if they kill a couple eagles and use them? If I do recall this country was takin from the native people by force. So honestly the Gov. should have no say so in what they do. If think you other wise your on some other #. When the white man came to the plains they almost wiped out a complete population of buffalo, killed them and left the bodies to rot using none of the meat just the hide.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Ignorant people make sick, Don't have the slightest clue what your talking about.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

What hatred?

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
So, there are people getting butt hurt about Native Americans practicing their beliefs? They deserve the right to the two eagles their ancestors were allowed before europeans/americans stripped them of those rights.

Is it just me, or are their ceeremonies older than our laws? Out with the old and in with the new!!!

I guess if you're not an American that wears the governments law on your sleeve you are an outcast and should not have any rights at all. Glad to know that's the world I live in...

I live in WA (state) and there was a huge controversy about the Natives here hunting one whale for ceremonial purposes, after years of deliberation they finally allowed them to hunt their whales. Guess how many people remember this or even think about it anymore...absolutely none! Because it doesn't affect their everyday lives!

Give them their birds!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
There are eagles in the states? I always thought they are up north

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
There was a point in history (we hide that information in books) where the national bird of the USA was to be the Turkey. It was really close.
So how do you feel about sitting down to your Thanksgiving dinner (another bit of history lost on most)?
Are you eating something that was nearly the symbol of a nation?

I would wager that if the bald eagle were considered 'fair game' for hunters, the rifle brigade would do to the bald eagle what they did to the passenger pigeon. If there was a quota of, let's say nine per hunter, how many do you think would get shot per year? How patriotic and conservationist would the hunters really be? How busy would the taxidermists be? What a great prize to display in your den above your gun safe!

Oh, that's right. Conservation. You did good with the bison...

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
eagle feathers have been sacred to these people for thousands of years before the American invasion so if population numbers are good why not let them harvest some? states all across the land allow people to harvest animals for eating or sport, for the sacred dinner table.

What invasion? The first Americans where Caucasoid, meaning the colonization was actually a liberation of a land the was brutally taken by the so called "first peoples". The so called "first peoples", brutally raped, murdered and flat out wiped out the first homo sapien sapien inhabitants of North America.

Secondly, Congress is only expressly prevented from passing any law in regards to religion, speech and the media.

First Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Notice something? It doesn't mention treaties. And the reservations aren't considered states, but quasi foreign territory. And it is through treaties that force the "first peoples", to abide by US law. And since the treaty is one sided, the case would only have merit if the "first peoples" weren't on a reservation, but lived in a State/Territory.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
There are eagles in the states? I always thought they are up north

lots of them actually. it is a great comeback story to say the least. since DDT and Chlordane were taken off the market 30 or 40 years ago, they have been doing well.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

But killing millions of people, to take their land, doesn’t?

Knee-jerk reactions make me sick!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

You would think that animal sacrifice went out of style with modern man hundreds of years ago,

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

You would think that animal sacrifice went out of style with modern man hundreds of years ago,

Lets me guess... you think it’s a barbaric practice that is crawl and unnecessary?

Unlike us “Modern” people who live in harmony with the planet??

You choose to ignore the fact that our advanced civilised secular society has industrialised farming and mechanised the wholesale slaughter of animals. Our advanced society, which looks down its noses at these primitive little tribe’s people and their evil religions, ignores the fact that the Native Americans religion was one that made them respect the land and the creatures upon it. Not taking more than they needed, not making vast profits from death, and not claiming individual ownership of land.

You may look down your nose at these people’s religious practices; but at least they lived in balance with nature, doing far less harm to the environment then our society does. Have the decency to recognise the many failings and vast destruction caused by our own societies before making judgments about these people’s beliefs.

The most barbaric crawl and unnecessary religion on this planet is the one the worships money.

edit on 18-3-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster

Originally posted by Violater1

Lets me guess... you think it’s a barbaric practice that is crawl and unnecessary?

Unlike us “Modern” people who live in harmony with the planet??

You choose to ignore the fact that our advanced civilised(sic) secular society has industrialised(sic) farming and mechanised(sic) the wholesale slaughter of animals.

No, just you and a few others that are off topic.
This thread involves preferential treatment of certain religious systems against others, as well as sacrificing eagles that happen to be the symbol of the USA.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join